Taijiquan and word usage "Tongbei": Anyone know?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Taijiquan and word usage "Tongbei": Anyone know?

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:04 am

Steve James wrote:Imo, it depends on the goals and whether they've been successful. Easiest example is mma. Studying wrestling will take away time from studying boxing or kicking. But, the goal is clear, and it doesn't really matter if someone is better at one aspect or the other.

Agree, which is why if one would look at the development of CMA / IMA .
In most cases, it was an answer to a problem that arose among different methods of the day...
Hence not something that was readily shared among those outside the family or village...

IMO all styles, methods, originating in China are internal.
With what is labeled IMA, the distinction made to explain the how, type, and what type of power development was used to enhance one's ability in combative endeavors..

In modern times it may be more about attempting to attain the feats of past masters historically written about.
Many wondering why so few attain the same ability in today's time. Maybe their training is not so focused.

CMA in general has gone through different genesis, adapting to the needs of the time in order for its teachers and practitioners to carry on the teachings,
not always to the original focus of the training...for the gen public.

It is said, Wang Chong Lu, when formally acknowledging Yang as master, was instructed by Yang, "What I teach you (the mind approach of the internal power) shall not be released outside, except to your son.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:08 am

Well, the integration is personal, not stylistic. Just because someone learns Dong family tcc at one point and learns Chen tcc later, it doesn't mean the styles have been merged or integrated. Now, the argument is that someone can develop habits from one style that prevent them from progressing in another is perfectly valid. Put it like this, at this moment, you are the product of everything you've done before. You can't be anything else.

Some might argue that it's not possible for a kyukoshin black belt to learn tcc. The styles, imo, are ways to practice. They are means to an end, not the end. Ok, for some, that is the goal. It all depends on the individual -even with the best teachers.
Last edited by Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:35 pm

Having gone through this process myself in my own path,,,it's not so easy....

Historically

lots of stories of famous masters caught in their training later understanding their was something different, after meeting it...

Master Wei was skeptical and it must have shown on his face. Master Wang waved Master Wei over. Leaning back in his chair Master Wang asked Wei to extend his middle fingers. Master Wang grasped both of Wei's middle fingers by the tips, showed Wei that it would not be easy if not impossible to fajing him in this manner.

In the next instance Master Wei was thrown back, an expression of surprise on his face. He had not expected this and in his heart knew that for all his Chen style attainment he just did not have anything close to what Master Wang just demonstrated on him.

So on the wrong side of fifty Master Wei set aside all that he had learned before and began to learn afresh from Master Wang.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:16 pm

Ah, so the same is true for all of us. Or, maybe at some point our goals change.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:49 pm

donno...

The training itself can become a barrier depending how deep or ingrained it is. ie burned in..
With out one realizing it.
Lots of self introspection along with a chance meeting of a person who can manifest qualities or
skill sets that one is looking for to help awaken the one within....

Something that with out inner clarity can be easily missed..

"暗石疑藏虎,盤根似臥龍"

"The hidden stone hides a tiger, and the roots look like a crouching dragon."
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:03 am

Training is not the barrier it is the path
Incorrect understanding is the barrier
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:28 pm

windwalker wrote:
twocircles13 wrote:[
The point was that each style had its strengths, especially, there were some things that each style taught more effectively than the others. As you got to certain points in your development, you might need to step into a different style to learn what you needed. So, the training jumped from one style to another and back again.

Interesting,,,,out side of what was told to you, is this something you've personally done or went through

Asking IME found it to be completely opposite.... after spending some 5yrs or so, examining this
with taiji, and TWC...arriving at my own understanding of why its not possible..

my last taiji teacher was very explicit about not combining other things with taiji....

Even with those who study taiji, IME found it quite hard helping other long term taiji practitioners to modify their practices, helping them to achieve the direction they wanted to go most of the time not really possible...for them...Through their practices they've kind of shut the door that would allow deeper changes...

historically this was also noted

After the formalities were over, Zhang told Hu to practice only taijiquan, but Hu
was not really able to let go of his xingyi. He was already a great master, and
thus it was very difficult to "throw it out the window".

Zhang kept telling Hu that his jin (internal energy) was wrong - it was a xingyi type, not a taiji type of energy.
Hu said that there was nothing he could do because he had been practicing that
way for so long. Zhang decided to teach Hu the 81-Step form of taijiquan,
realizing that unless Hu was able to let go of his xingyi it would be quite difficult to
teach him Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan.

Other methods for examples Tibetan White Crane, and n-mantis something I'm familiar with don't integrate at all...

Your comment has taken the thread in an interesting and unintended direction. Let me clarify and dispel some erroneous assumptions.

Liu Yunqiao learned Baji, Pigua, Bagua, and Tanglang, so while he taught these separately, he knew the strengths, weaknesses, common elements and differences of each art. He set up a four-year+ program at the club level in the major colleges in Taiwan. In his curriculum, he arranged the arts in an order where they would build off one another and teach faster and more broadly than if focused on a single art for four years. At the end of the four years, students would know the foundations and principal forms of the arts and several weapons. They were encouraged during their fourth year to focus on one art and one weapon. Upon graduation, students were given the option to apply for discipleship with one of the senior teachers in the system, so their training could continue.

I studied essentially three of the four-year curriculum, so I have some experience in learning this way. I have retained the parts of the system that most interested me

Examining the system a little closer, Liu Yunqiao started with a birds-eye view of the curriculum, so he knew how it fit together. The program was also during early developmental years of the students. This is very different from taking a student who has trained in a single art for five years and trying to teach him one advanced aspect of a new art, although someone who knew both arts might have better chance of success.

Additionally, students practiced the different styles discretely and were encourage to not combine them. Integration that occurred was primarily in common ground between the styles as orchestrated by Liu Yuqiao.

To my initial point, these are all northern Chinese styles, and they have a lot in common. I have a friend, Steve Todd, who claims that because of the anatomy of the human body, the 80/20 rule applies and 80% of all martial arts in the world are the same. His curriculum teaches that 80%, and his student become awesome martial artists. That is an integrated and very different approach.

If 80% is an accurate number, then northern Chinese martial arts have more than 90% in common. This is different from comparing Tanglang and Tibetan White Crane, which probably fall in the 80/20 group. Of course, the uniqueness and identity of each art is in those differences.

Further, if you look at the history of the development of the styles we have today, they have a lot of common roots.

@Steve James said,
Personally, I don't think the founders of any of these martial arts were purists. They were innovators, and It was their students who invented a tradition.

That’s just it. There were no founders who pulled entirely new martial arts fully blown out of their ... uh... hats. They took what they knew and tweaked it. Perhaps they contributed some kind of minor innovation, or they may have just received credit for innovations that were developed over generations, a common Chinese cultural tradition.

And on a personal note, it looks me nearly a decade to find my current teacher. In that time, I studied Chen Zhaokui’s form from two different teachers and Chen Manqing’s Yang short form as well as some forays into other arts. I always felt like my Wutan training gave me a leg up. When I met Chen Zhonghua, it helped me see a lot of common ground and recognize that he was also teaching something unique.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 10 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:57 pm

Can't comment much on what your path has been..

Just sharing some of mine, depending on level, focus in taiji the training and methods do not combine,,,
some may feel they do...If they do and it works for them or you
carry on....

Historically this has been noted and repeated among masters to include my own teacher and his teacher..
The methods are different they do not combine...

Some say that the taijiquan skill must be combined with other skills in order to be useful. This really shows their lack of true teaching, of true learning of taijiquan. This person does not understand taijiquan theory and really is showing ignorance.

Depending on ones practice and inner clarity, what they're really seeking.
What they practice is what they practice...

why clips are always interesting to watch...
often very different from what they write about, . ;D
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby twocircles13 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:18 pm

windwalker wrote:Can't comment much on what your path has been..

Just sharing some of mine, depending on level, focus in taiji the training and methods do not combine,,,
some may feel they do...If they do and it works for them or you
carry on....

Historically this has been noted and repeated among masters to include my own teacher and his teacher..
The methods are different they do not combine...

Some say that the taijiquan skill must be combined with other skills in order to be useful. This really shows their lack of true teaching, of true learning of taijiquan. This person does not understand taijiquan theory and really is showing ignorance.

Depending on ones practice and inner clarity, what they're really seeking.
What they practice is what they practice...

why clips are always interesting to watch...
often very different from what they write about, . ;D

That is an interesting [but not uncommon] perspective, a focus on the 10-20% that is different. It’s not really that one combines the 80-90%, it's that they are already combined, except for the rest [10-20%] of their identifying, dare I say unique, attributes or combination of attributes. And, I get it, those may or may not combine with any other martial art.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:00 am

In Dalian where I lived for 10 years and studied Tongbeiquan, Xingyiquan and Taijiquan. It was all teachers that recommended me to other teachers to learn what was/are their specifics, about the three I mention there is a shared core method, mastering that, one can basically do as one want and comes natural, as it also does if one just stay within one style, but also one’s body type and mentality are to be taken in consideration by a teacher so sometimes they recommend other teachers to take care of one’s certain specifics.
Last edited by Trick on Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trick
Huajing

Postby snowpanda on Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:47 am

johnwang wrote:Hammer fist, back fist, palm chop, ... all those circular striking is slower than those straight line strikes such as jab and cross. A straight line striking can be as fast as 1/4 second. Can a circular striking be as fast as 1/4 second?

What's the true combat value for those circular striking?

Some people would accept this as an answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-7us4mBJko
snowpanda
Santi

Postby snowpanda on Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:53 am

wayne hansen wrote:Rotary engine beats pistons

And even pistons do circles at both ends of their "straight line" motion.
snowpanda
Santi

Postby twocircles13 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:31 am

snowpanda wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Rotary engine beats pistons

And even pistons do circles at both ends of their "straight line" motion.

Yes, technically, there are no straight movements in the musculoskeletal system. The fist may travel in a straight line, but the arm bones are rotating (arcing) in the joints.
Last edited by twocircles13 on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
twocircles13
Anjing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan