back pain help (L4 & L5 area)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: back pain help (L4 & L5 area)

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 am

learn yoga, then do it.
drink more water, especially before bed as that is when your disks will absorb most of it.
get an xray to make sure there is no misalignment or deteriorating disks.
getting thrown on the floor is not massage and in fact, you could be doing more damage and eventually that could lead to no martial practice for you at all.
better safe than sorry.
working out is the architect, rest is the builder.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby gungfusifu on Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:41 am

thanks everyone for your input, I shall continue to work on my yoga, posture and core, as well as lose the excess 25 lbs I desperatly need to shed.

thanks
gungfusifu
Santi

Postby nianfong on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:42 pm

one thing that helps me out--don't know exactly how your spine is misaligned-- is to do one-sided shoulder presses, with my left side. seriously works wonders. last night I got back from capoeira practice and my back was hurting, so I pulled out my 53 lb kettlebells, did a few shoulder presses, and a few minutes later, the pain was gone. my doc has me do this regularly to rehab my back, and it really works to realign my spinal column.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby gungfusifu on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:29 pm

nianfong wrote:one thing that helps me out--don't know exactly how your spine is misaligned-- is to do one-sided shoulder presses, with my left side. seriously works wonders. last night I got back from capoeira practice and my back was hurting, so I pulled out my 53 lb kettlebells, did a few shoulder presses, and a few minutes later, the pain was gone. my doc has me do this regularly to rehab my back, and it really works to realign my spinal column.

oh wow man thanks for that one , now all I need to to is get a set of kettlebells~!!! which I ve wanted to do for a while too..
gungfusifu
Santi

Postby nianfong on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 am

that's just what I do fo rmy specific spinal misalignment. if you tend to push with your right hand more (right punch etc) and you have problems in L4 and L5, then you might have the same problem as me, which would be fixed by the one-sided shoulder presses.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby sinkpoint on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

For what it's worth, I had lower back pain 2 years ago from posture problems when sitting. The fact that I sat 8 hours a day coding didn't help.
Here's how I solved my problem.

Get a decent chair with lower back support, and make sure to straighten your back when sitting. Watch your wrist and forearms when typing and using the mouse, make sure not to lean onto them.
The nature of the curvature of the spine would put stress onto the dorsal muscles surrounding the spine, so when you are sitting, put extra padding in that area to transfer the stress onto surrounding support structures to reduce the load the muscles would be put under. This allows your muscles to heal.

I adhered to these rules for about a month or so, and now the pain was gone.
sinkpoint
Anjing

Postby Yin on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:18 pm

iwalkthecircle wrote:do you guy have anything that helps in healing lower back muscle.

when i am not training SC, the muscle around L4, L5 hurts.

I know the answer is obvious to train more SC by getting thrown on the floor more...... But not every day can i get thrown on the floor hard for free message.

we only have SC class twice per week.

Yup, find yourself a Cranial Sacral Therapist. I have just discovered that there are such people and they are wonderful!!

i am not sure if i like the western medicine route of just taking pain killers and muscle relaxsin..... what are you views on this?
i believe it just covers up symptoms.
Truth is a thing of this world, produced by multiple forms of constraint, and producing regular effects of power. Michel Foucault.
Yin
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan