Internal Strength - how?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Internal Strength - how?

Postby Ian on Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 pm

A spin on an old question - how do you, the reader, create internal strength? How do you train it?
Last edited by Ian on Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Re: Internal Strength - how?

Postby Mut on Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 pm

good question... I just had an e-mail from someone wanting to learn internal strength.... not sure what that is.... for me it is simply the intellegent use of strength, utilizing leverage and borrowing in force. There is more to it than that but fucked if i know how to explain it
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

Postby Walk the Torque on Fri May 23, 2008 12:18 am

Training the intent has heaps to do with it.

For me, all the refining and investigation into learning how to bring your body under greater control, is kind of like getting a good grip on a bat. Learning to hit a home run is about aiming the ball on the other side of the boundry. :)
Walk the Torque
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Fri May 23, 2008 12:53 am

Learn yi quan basics: zhan zhuang, sh li, mo ca bu, fa li, from a competent instructor. Take you about a year of 2/3 hours per day, then go learn the application to your own system.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri May 23, 2008 1:10 am

Sprint wrote:Learn yi quan basics: zhan zhuang, sh li, mo ca bu, fa li, from a competent instructor. Take you about a year of 2/3 hours per day, then go learn the application to your own system.

Learn systema basics for a few years, then come back to me?
Ian

Postby C.J.Wang on Fri May 23, 2008 2:19 am

All traditional CMA systems have internal strength training incorporated in the forms. Just need a good teacher to point you in the right direction.
C.J.Wang
Wuji

Postby Sprint on Fri May 23, 2008 2:32 am

"Learn systema basics for a few years, then come back to me?"

Maybe you know yi quan because you learned it in China? And then you learned systema and found it to be vastly superior? If so can you tell me because I like to learn new things, why should I learn systema instead of yi quan to develop internal strength? And why if it is so good did you ask the question in the first place?
Sprint
Wuji

Postby Ian on Fri May 23, 2008 2:46 am

Mr. Sprint, I'm just messing with you!

I've never learned yiquan, but I'm trying to get a discussion going where we can find some commonalities between styles and talk about training internal strength in general.

So when you say "do yiquan" it's about as helpful as me saying "do systema" :)

One thing we do is work each joint with resistance from our partners. For example, hands - play mercy with your partner, do it extremely slowly, try to use only what's needed, and try to move with your breath as much as possible.

I'm asking because I don't know everything and I want to steal your techniques! And also share something useful in return.
Ian

Postby Walter Joyce on Fri May 23, 2008 4:19 am

You might want to google Mike Sigman as he has focused on the internal strength aspect of training as a separate component for years, producing materials on the topic.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 am

mind leading the body
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri May 23, 2008 6:36 am

Internal strength is a huge huge subject. Even if pertaining to only one style.

Take baguazhang for instance: simple explanation of bagua internal strength training is that the power comes from the hips and the back. But it really goes much deeper than that. People often mistake being able to use their hips and back (and maybe dan tien) as the only places where they put strength. But the truth is that you have to learn how to make EVERY part of your body strong to create bagua's force.
You have to make your hands strong, your shoulders strong, your upper and lower back strong, your chest strong, your neck strong, your legs, feet, toes, everything.
There are specific ways of practicing every part of your body from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head. Then as some others have mentioned, you have to make your mind strong with intent. Any good martial art, internal or external, will have similar training to achieve these goals. After you can make your whole body strong, you have to go out and test it. Even if you are strong inside your body, if you never hit anyone, how can you expect to be able to use your force?
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri May 23, 2008 7:44 am

mixjourneyman wrote:Internal strength is a huge huge subject. Even if pertaining to only one style.

Take baguazhang for instance: simple explanation of bagua internal strength training is that the power comes from the hips and the back. But it really goes much deeper than that. People often mistake being able to use their hips and back (and maybe dan tien) as the only places where they put strength. But the truth is that you have to learn how to make EVERY part of your body strong to create bagua's force.
You have to make your hands strong, your shoulders strong, your upper and lower back strong, your chest strong, your neck strong, your legs, feet, toes, everything.
There are specific ways of practicing every part of your body from the bottom of your feet to the top of your head. Then as some others have mentioned, you have to make your mind strong with intent. Any good martial art, internal or external, will have similar training to achieve these goals. After you can make your whole body strong, you have to go out and test it. Even if you are strong inside your body, if you never hit anyone, how can you expect to be able to use your force?

agreed. and i would say that after you've made the body connections automatic, and you've trained the intent to be strong, then you've got to train to make the body follow the intention instantaneously.
and yes--maintaining connection during solo practice is not super difficult, but trying to do it while you're worried about getting puched in the face or tossed on your ass is a different animal entirely.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Fri May 23, 2008 7:50 am

Ian wrote:A spin on an old question - how do you, the reader, create internal strength? How do you train it?

The good first step for us would be to stop using incomplete, inaccurate translations like internal strength. The Chinese word used here is jin, which means trained force. So the correct translation is internal trained force. As the name suggests, it's not the kind of force you can produce or do very well naturally without special training. People can naturally have a lot of strength, but no one naturally has a lot of jin.

Martial art is fundamentally about how to use force (to cause incapacitation, injury, or death). We make use of many types of trained forces (in Taiji Quan we talk about 36 types, actually there are more), each has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, with external jins, the advantage is you can produce the biggest, fastest accelerating forces this way, but the disadvantage is once it's launched, it's very hard to stop and change course midway (it's ballistic), also, store and release are separate, distinct processes. With internal jin, just the opposite it true.

The quantitative aspects - speed, acceleration, duration, etc, are but part of the whole picture. Using a bigger force is not always the solution. Hence the objection to the word strength here, not only is it incorrect, it gives the false impression that with internal jin, "bigger is automatically better". It's not. With internal jin we're seeking a different type of quality.

Classic examples of activities involving a lot of jin are pool and golf: sometimes you need to use big external force to hit the ball very hard, sometimes you need to use very refined internal force to control the ball. As martial art students we want to have as complete an understanding on use of force (in all its aspects) as possible.

Here's a good intro on jin: http://www.ycgf.org/Articles/TJ_Jin/TJ_Jin1.html

Wuyizidi
Last edited by Wuyizidi on Fri May 23, 2008 8:05 am, edited 8 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby river rider on Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 am

following Wuyizidi's post, it would seem that the very question of how to obtain internal strength is misleading. there is no one such thing to obtain in the first place, rather a series of trained forces to develop. the words "internal strength" become an adjective, not a noun... describing a simple action (a punch, a deflection, breathing...) that now has greater content because of the refining action of proper practice, the layering of intent and spirit, the experencial knowledge of the larger pattern these acts are a part of, greater sensitivity, and a wide variety of technical details specific to each of the jins we are trying to develop. if there is such a one thing as internal strength, it would have to be a thing, a principle, that binds all these elements together, that could be understood well enough to train directly to develop, and that was in opposition to, or different than, its counterpart relating to external strength.
river rider
Anjing

Postby onyomi on Fri May 23, 2008 9:49 am

Posted by: kenneth_fish Posted on: May 4th, 2008, 9:23pm
They were about the diameter of a nickel, maybe a bit larger, and raised. He called them rouqiu, literally "muscle balls". He said they were concentrations of qi under the skin. Master Hu Jiemin of Lohan Shaolin had the same skills. Speaking of whom - his neigong was incredible. His body would expand and contract visibly. Once he showed me a "kip up" unlike anything I had ever seen - he lay on the ground on his back, raised his feet about six inches off the ground. A wave seemed to run through his body, and without bending his knees he was suddenly standing upright.

I used to go visit the abbot Heng Yueh at Muzhi mountain outside of Taipei - he was just over 100 years old when I met him. He was still practicing Lohan kung fu. When he moved he too seemed to expand and contract visibly - his forearm would swell to half again its normal size, and his mid forearm to his fingertips would turn quite red.

To me, this is the kind of stuff that should be considered indicative of "internal strength." Just having good body mechanics or powerful intent is not it. Otherwise, we'd be right in saying that Western Boxers have some of the best "internal strength" around. How do you get this? With Qigong/Neigong/Yoga/Meditation and other such practices.
Last edited by onyomi on Fri May 23, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
onyomi
Mingjing

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan