Tai Chi Chuan at the Olympics 1936

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Tai Chi Chuan at the Olympics 1936

Postby Martin2 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:36 pm

Please have a look here:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... otohosting

The offical Book about the presentation of Tai Chi Chuan on the Olympics 1936 in Berlin. I would love to read it. It has 26 pages and is in German, English and French. The Tai Chi itself was shown at the 11.8.36 on the Dietrich-Eckart-Stage. Interesting that Tai Chi was present to the public in the west so early. Would love to know what say showed. Would love to know what is written the little book.

Does somebody knows more about it?

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Re: Tai Chi Chuan at the Olympics 1936

Postby Martin2 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:50 am

Found some info about the Author, also called Chu Man-yi:

Most authorities credit Chu Man-yi, a student of Wu Jian -quan, with inventing both the Tai Chi ruler and the Tai Chi ball shortly after the First World War. His idea was that simple turning, twisting and circling movements based on Tai Chi form and Western Gymnastics could replace the form, which he considered too complex for some students.

from here: http://www.taichichuan.co.uk/informatio ... _time.html

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby shmirsh on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:54 am

From the official reports of the games, available at http://www.la84foundation.org/6oic/OfficialReports/1936/

The gymnastics of the Chinese team introduced the spectators into an entirely different world.
The demonstration of “Chinese Boxing” on August 11th in the Dietrich Eckart Open-Air Theatre
showed that Chinese gymnastics arc based upon ancient Chinese conceptions of the universe. The
individual exercises have the purpose of giving the body the highest degree of suppleness and
elasticity, with self-defense in view. In the partner exercises, which must be carried out with great
speed, the Chinese displayed an insensitivity to hard and fast blows which was astonishing. The
exercises with the sword, spear and pike were noteworthy. These weapons were carried past the
body in dangerous proximity. This was nerve-racking for the spectators but it proved the courage
and daring taught by these exercises.
In conclusion it can be said that a more comprehensive review of the physical training methods
in the various countries had never been afforded, and in this respect the 23th Olympic Games
provided a mighty impulse for physical culture throughout the world.
The different methods of exercising and the conceptions of the true aim of physical education
which prevailed in the various nations awakened the interest of the spectators to an unusual
extent. The marching of the groups, mass exercises, rhythm, tempo, agility, strength and
suppleness all combined to prove in a most convincing manner the extreme value of definitely
organized physical culture. It may be truthfully asserted that the gymnastic demonstrations
supplemented the athletic competitions in an outstanding manner. For the participants themselves
the opportunity of being present at the Olympic Festival provided a rich source of new experiences
and ideas, a means of furthering a common ideal and the occasion for comparing individual
ability and methods with those of other nations. The demonstrations of the national groups
were given a prominent place in the Olympic programme and served to lend variety and novelty
to the Festival.

shmirsh
Mingjing

Postby Martin2 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 am

Hello everybody,

I got a link to some more material. Sorry in spanish, but great pictures of the Chinese delegation from page 8 on:

http://www.centrosanti.com.ar/Magazine/Berlin1936.pdf

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby Qin'sEmporium on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 am

Dear Sifu

Thank you for this excellent information! I am remind of Prof, Jonathon Spence, and a lecture he gave recently regarding the Chinese conceptions of the body. He mentioned the first time that China was asked to send a team the Olympics - I think in the 1920's, but I am not sure. Anyway, the up-shot of this was that the Chinese government put a call out to Chinese people living outside of China, to volunteer to represent China at the Olympics. And if I remember rightly, an Englishman set-up somekind of physical educatin school in China, which still exists. I can't remember his name, but his character appeared in the film Chariots of Fire. What this film did not show however, was his life in China.

The 1936 dispaly looks very well organised - and I assume that this was a trained team sent from China itself?

Thank you
Qin'sEmporium
Huajing

Postby Martin2 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:01 am

Hello Qin,

great thanks that you remind me of Jonathan Spence.

Please have a look here (espaecially 1 and 4):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/reith2008/

Chinese vistas

The 60th anniversary Reith Lectures take China as their subject, and are given by the eminent historian Professor Jonathan Spence.

Each of the lectures will be available after broadcast to listen again or download.
Lecture 1: Confucian Ways
Lecture 4: The body beautiful - Spence discusses how Chinese ideas of sport and athletisism have slowly evolved.

Martin2
Martin2
Huajing

Postby king-kong on Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:14 am

Qin'sEmporium wrote:Dear Sifu

Thank you for this excellent information! I am remind of Prof, Jonathon Spence, and a lecture he gave recently regarding the Chinese conceptions of the body. He mentioned the first time that China was asked to send a team the Olympics - I think in the 1920's, but I am not sure. Anyway, the up-shot of this was that the Chinese government put a call out to Chinese people living outside of China, to volunteer to represent China at the Olympics. And if I remember rightly, an Englishman set-up somekind of physical educatin school in China, which still exists. I can't remember his name, but his character appeared in the film Chariots of Fire. What this film did not show however, was his life in China.

The 1936 dispaly looks very well organised - and I assume that this was a trained team sent from China itself?

Thank you

Could that be the Flying Scotsman Eric Liddell?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell
king-kong
Mingjing

Postby Qin'sEmporium on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:21 am

king-kong wrote:
Qin'sEmporium wrote:Dear Sifu

Thank you

Could that be the Flying Scotsman Eric Liddell?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Liddell

I think you might be right. CCTV9 did a documentary about it a few months ago. I was amazed by his life in China which was not mentioned or even hinted at in the film Chariots of Fire.

Thank you
Qin'sEmporium
Huajing

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan