Does intellectualization interfere with your understanding o

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Does intellectualization interfere with your understanding o

Postby zenshiite on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

I know I spend way too nuch time reading and thinking about martial arts.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Bär on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:24 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:It's part of the myth of martial arts that martial artists are all balanced, centered and zen-like. Most of them in my (eeps!) 33 years of involvement were some of the most insecure, maladjusted ego-driven wankers you'll ever run across. Much worse than the rock musicians I've hung out with for a similar amount of time. I could make jokes about wearing camos to Wal-Mart and stockpiling green beans or whathaveyou, but when you've actually known people whose lives were lost to or destroyed by these kinds of paralyzing fears, it's not really that funny to watch.

QFT
Bär
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:01 am

sweet jesus, ium a martial artist and a rock musician! I must be an ultra wanker or something. lol

well, here's to the ultra wankers then. ;D
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:39 am

as long as you're not an overly-intellectualizing martial artist / rock musician ::)
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:03 am

everything wrote:as long as you're not an overly-intellectualizing martial artist / rock musician ::)

I think that being an over-intellectualizing musician is ok as long as your intellectualizing isn't based upon own fantasies. ;)

I wonder if you think about the same one as I thought about...
Last edited by Bao on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:23 am

no I'm not sure but...
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Chris McKinley on Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:39 pm

Gotta be Kid Rock, then.
Chris McKinley

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:02 pm

oh man, britney is tasty in those photos.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:oh man, britney is tasty in those photos.

Please then let me bring you back to reality...

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:59 pm

ouch!
everything
Wuji

Postby tsurugi on Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:46 am

Getting away from disturbing pictures of Britney and back to the topic question - saw this the other day :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7859385.stm

also very disturbing, especially if you spend a lot of time on Emptyflower and or teaching MA -

[quote]The study, which also involved the University of Michigan, marks the first time researchers have claimed to demonstrate that verbal overshadowing can adversely affect motor skills.

Prof Anderson said the findings may have consequences for people who take part in other sports.

"This observation may have repercussions for athletes who depend on effective mental techniques to prepare for events," he added.

"Moreover, those who teach golf, or any motor skill, might be undoing their own talent in the process."
[quote]
tsurugi
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:23 am

Thinking about the title of this thread... I often wonder whether IMA over intellectualise what is essentially not that complicated ;D (I'm IMA myself, so this isn't a dig at IMA in general, but more about its potential propensity to attract 'over thinkers')

What would happen if you took Fedor's approach to training but utilised IMA methods?

Notice how simple everything he's saying is - it's not complicated at all. However, I'm sure you could get some IMA 'technicians' to explain what he's doing and it would be like a 20,000 word PHD thesis...

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:08 am

tsurugi,

Nice reference, but it's old news. And I noticed that the article didn't mention that the researchers even latched onto the key factor in that phenomenon, which is well-known to be simultaneous activation of the competing centers. It would seem, at least from the article, that the researchers erroneously concluded that all such discussion were able to affect performance, when it's already quite well-established that it is the concurrent activation of competing centers that is the problem. Now, I did notice that the article listed the researchers as psychologists as opposed to hard scientists of any type, and it's possible that the perennial problem of soft scientists using questionably-constructed experimental method might have been at play.

Still, for clarification, the problem comes when one is attempting to engage in complex neuromotor activity and also activating language centers at the same time, whether verbalized or not. This means that even if you are only talking to yourself in your head, you will still suffer the same potential degradation of performance as if you were having a conversation with your buddy.
Last edited by Chris McKinley on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris McKinley

Postby Bodywork on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:25 am

GrahamB wrote:Thinking about the title of this thread... I often wonder whether IMA over intellectualise what is essentially not that complicated ;D (I'm IMA myself, so this isn't a dig at IMA in general, but more about its potential propensity to attract 'over thinkers')

What would happen if you took Fedor's approach to training but utilised IMA methods?

Notice how simple everything he's saying is - it's not complicated at all. However, I'm sure you could get some IMA 'technicians' to explain what he's doing and it would be like a 20,000 word PHD thesis...

Fedor is a great fighter, and like most fighters all he really reveals is that there is nothing new or unsual in their methods just how well someone can actually use the well known lessons.
I have never been interested in the IMA for the fighting techniques or even what I have seen thus far of their "ideas" or fighting principles. I am only interested in internals by way of comparing their body conditioning and use for balance and power. I find your comment about the long dissertations from IMAers to be interesting. These arts may be plagued by inept wannabes as all the others are as well. No news there. But they are also deeper than the other arts.
Is it wise to throw out the baby with the bath water?
Are there men who study and practice internal methods who can actually fight?
Do you know how they do it?
Are they the long winded over analytical types?
OR
Do they have some direct teaching methods?
Is the difference all so black and white?
Last edited by Bodywork on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bodywork

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:48 am

GrahamB wrote:

Off topic: the "secret" to not using a boxer's guard is in this clip.
Ian

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan