Takedown Defense (BJ vs. GSP)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Takedown Defense (BJ vs. GSP)

Postby CaliG on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:01 am

I thought this fight was a good example of takedown defense. Because takedowns are what decided this fight.

I'm curious what others see. How does BJ neutralize these attacks so well and what did GSP do to finally pull them off in later rounds?

There's a lot going on here.

http://www.myvideofight.com/video/ufc/u ... index.html
CaliG

Re: Takedown Defense (BJ vs. GSP)

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:05 am

CaliG wrote:How does BJ neutralize these attacks so well and what did GSP do to finally pull them off in later rounds?

;D
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 am

Someone should photoshop GSP and Penn into this.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:30 pm

geez, that was really one sided...
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Brady on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 pm

I thought the takedown defense BJ used in the first round was excellent and there was probably a lot going on there that was hard to see. Still, with an athlete as amazing as GSP, its only a matter of time before he stops you being able to bounce around on one leg. This fight was highly entertaining IMO.
Brady
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:47 pm

In the after fight interview GSP said his strategy was to turn it into a wrestling match so that BJs shoulders would tighten up and get tired so he wouldn't be as dangerous on the ground. I am not entirely sure that GSP actually wanted a take down in the first round. He doesn't normally go in for the single leg from as far out as he did in the first and he is normally much more explosive, like his takedown in round 3 IIRC.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:27 pm

In rd 1, I thought it was BJ's flexibility that helped him keep balance. Was GSP trying to tighten up BJ's shoulders in rd1?

For people who might know the rubber guard, would the vaseline impact an attempt to use the rubber guard? It looks like it would to me because it'd be easier to slip out and then posture up as GSP did.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:41 pm

Rubber guard into mission control is mostly levying up your hips and using your hand to grip your ankle. You secure your hold with your elbow in his neck/shoulder and then to get his trapped arm under yours- then BAM umaplata - unfortunatly it is pretty hard to execute against some one with great posture and punching you in the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7AmqaeS ... =1&index=4
Last edited by Kurt Robbins on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Johnny Drama on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:02 pm

I watched this fight a couple times. My thoughts-

BJ had no wrestling in comparison to GSP and while the hop around on one foot takedown defense works, its not really fundamental stuff. In the first round he kept his hands inside and had decent wrestling, but when the rounds went on and on he gave that up and just got taken down at will. Usually after hopping around a bit. Basically, I think his takedown defense is overrated and needs to study wrestling.

In the second round he took an absolutely massive shot that would have put a lot of others guys out. This really changed the fight and showed how tough BJ is.

He got his guard passed at will, and this was completely demoralizing for him and was as almost as bad as the blows he received.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Postby yusuf on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:08 am

hey

one thing that confuses me, and I will try it out next time i visit the MMA guys is why a one leg grab can't be turned into a leg twisting throw? Either step 90 deg and twist, or drop to knees and do a type of 'over the shoulder' throw but using the leg as the lever... i appreciate that you'll probably eat some punches but would the takedown work?

does this make any sense?

cheers

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:37 am

There is a very easy takedown you can do to someone when you have one leg pulled directly in front of them like GSP had BJ. Basically you hold the lower leg up to keep the leg straight then apply pressure downward and forward on the knee with your other hand, they will simply collapse and fall on their ass.

If GSP had been able to get BJs leg to to his right side (since he had BJs right leg this would put him on the outside) he then could have used a outer leg blocking throw.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:21 am

I assume GSP knows different variations of those takedowns. Therefore, something else must've been happening but couldn't tell what.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:46 am

everything wrote:I assume GSP knows different variations of those takedowns. Therefore, something else must've been happening but couldn't tell what.

The first one I described honestly surprised me that it worked. It is one that looks fake from the outside but when you feel it there is no choice but to go down. Honestly I had never seen anything like it until Daniel Weng showed it at a seminar. It would leave your face open to punches while you do it though.

The second one I described requires getting the opponents leg to your outside and BJ was doing a good job of keeping it between GSPs legs and hooking onto him. So I am not sure he could have pulled it off if he had wanted to.

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby middleway on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:10 am

i think the thing to bear in mind is the position after the take down which is a primary consideration to these guys. No good getting the guy down but ending up in a leg lock or arm bar.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby CaliG on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:41 am

Johnny Drama wrote:BJ had no wrestling in comparison to GSP and while the hop around on one foot takedown defense works, its not really fundamental stuff. In the first round he kept his hands inside and had decent wrestling, but when the rounds went on and on he gave that up and just got taken down at will. Usually after hopping around a bit. Basically, I think his takedown defense is overrated and needs to study wrestling.

It should be noted that GSP was invited to join the Canadian Olympic Wrestling team but turned it down to focus on MMA. So he isn't just any wrestler.

I also think that GSP was having trouble with his game plan in the first round, despite what he said later, because when the round ends he doesn't even know what corner to go to, then again maybe it was that jab to the eye.
CaliG

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan