What equpiment do you have/want?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What equpiment do you have/want?

Postby johnrieber on Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:31 pm

i'm randomly throwing out one of my favorite free pieces of equipment drills.

- go grocery shopping at two in the morning, when the aisles are empty and no one cares if you're a little odd. use a cart. pick one that rolls pretty straight.

- put some groceries in your cart.

- while you're doing the rest of your shopping, pull the cart back at yourself hard and fast, root, and bounce the handbar of the cart off your dantien. absorb and issue thus, and see how fast and far you can make your cart roll away.

- either see how far and fast down the aisle you have bounced the cart with your dantien, or catch it with both hands just as it's about to roll out of reach, and repeat.

:)
johnrieber

Postby Bhassler on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:59 pm

shock and awe wrote:anyone ever buy a bag and fill it themselves? Any comments on different types of filling?

Army duffle bag filled with beans-- I think you can get 150-200 lbs in there if you stuff it really full. Nice consistency (sand is too hard for me). If you plug up the top well enough you can use it to practice throws.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Bhassler wrote:
shock and awe wrote:anyone ever buy a bag and fill it themselves? Any comments on different types of filling?

Army duffle bag filled with beans-- I think you can get 150-200 lbs in there if you stuff it really full. Nice consistency (sand is too hard for me). If you plug up the top well enough you can use it to practice throws.

200 lbs of beans!!! You're going to be strong and ready in case there's an earthquake and you need to feed the entire town. ;D
fuga
Great Old One

Postby taijiplayer on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:37 am

I want a Sabre that isn't sharp like the one I have. I took a PCV tube and cut it along the edges of the tube to cover the sharp edges. It seems to work well but it's ugly to look at. Maybe I should keep it. You'll never know when you'll need a sharp broadsword during recession crisis like we're having now. I'm afraid the crime rate is going up. I might need the sharpness of a sword to defend my territory. I like the idea of a sledge hammer. Reading Conan comic books keeps me entertained. Conan is a imaginary sword master!
taijiplayer
Mingjing

Postby WujiRob on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:47 am

I would like something to practice the 5 elements on. Question is: What is suitable? Bag would be fine for beng, heng, and pao, but how to train pi & zuan?

Suggestions are welcome :)
WujiRob
Mingjing

Postby chrislomas on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:54 am

Rob,
For Pi and Zuan cut a tyre in half. Stick one half on the wall at the right height/angle for Pi, stick the other half a little higher for Zuan. I find it good anyway.

-Chris
Last edited by chrislomas on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby WujiRob on Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:49 am

chrislomas wrote:Rob,
For Pi and Zuan cut a tyre in half. Stick one half on the wall at the right height/angle for Pi, stick the other half a little higher for Zuan. I find it good anyway.

-Chris

Sounds like an excellent suggestion! Thanks!

Do you, by any chance, have any pics available? I'm not that much of an engineer :)
WujiRob
Mingjing

Postby chrislomas on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 am

I'm afraid I have no digital camera. I am no good at DIY either so I basically stuck lots (and lots) of 'no nails' glue stuck onto a piece of wood screwed deep into my garage wall! Hope it works for you. The upward angle is good for barefoot snap kick training also.
chrislomas
Anjing

Postby WujiRob on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:22 am

Haha, that sounds like something I can mangage! :D Thanks!
WujiRob
Mingjing

Postby fuga on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:19 am

I need to get around to posting a picture of my SpongeBob Mace (filled with concrete).
fuga
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan