Isometric/static exercises

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Isometric/static exercises

Postby Dmitri on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:02 pm

The "equipment thread" reminded me of this little thing I used to do when I was a kid (between about 21 and 24 years old or so), and all equipment I needed for it was a stick. :)

The stick was a shortened broom handle, long enough for me to have a good grip on it with arms outstretched in one line, and thick/sturdy enough not to break. With that, I would do all sorts of static squeezes, pulls, "pushes", twists, etc. working each general "direction/orientation"...
Here's one example of what I mean by "direction/orientation": hold stick vertically in front, arms straight and almost vertical, right hand as high as it can reach and left as low as possible. Squeeze the stick as if you're trying to compress/crush it onto itself, as hard as you can; make sure to relax any unused muscles, your face, etc. and BREATHE. Hold that for 2 or 3 (or more? depending on your schedule) full, calm and well-paced breaths. Then in the same position, reverse direction, i.e. pulling the stick as if you're trying to tear it apart (right hand pulls up, left pulls down). Same rules (relax and breathe) and same duration applies to this and all other "moves". Then, move the arms along the stick so that they're each at about 45 degree angle, stick still vertical in front, and repeat the pull/squeeze pair. Then move the hands to where the fists are right next to each other, repeat again. Move again to 45-degree, this time right hand below, left above. Repeat. Move again, where right and left hands are the opposite of where they were at the beginning of this whole thing, and repeat pull-push again.

That's one "orientation/direction."

Now do that whole set with the stick horizontal in front, excluding the last position where arms are crossed as much as possible. (I just felt too weird doing that so I figured the "negative 45-degree" position is enough.)

And in a similar fashion, I did a whole lot of other orientations, -- with arms bent, wrists bent - each way, twisting the stick, "breaking" the stick, etc., etc. to address all major "commonly used" directions of effort.

(All that was in addition to running and yoga, so I got a fair share of stretching, etc.)

I came up with this completely on my own (there was no internet ya know :)) -- I only heard there were these "static exercises" where you tense up but don't move, and they build strength without developing a lot of muscle/gaining weight, so that got me interested. Added the breathing/relaxing ideas from yoga (with which I was completely fascinated at the time).
I'm sure someone somewhere else developed something similar, some sort of a system, but I never looked it up, not even these days...

Anyway...
I had wondered more than once, how (if at all) that training affected my much-later-in-life IMA "talent", or ability to learn and "get" Teh Internal (tm)...
I think it is related at least tangentially, as you have to really use your mind in order to push/pull as hard as possible and at the same time relax/breath as calmly as possible. That ain't easy...

Just thought I'd share... Not doing it anymore, at least not systematically, -- but who knows, maybe some younger kids :P here on EF might give it a shot. I still think it's a great exercise -- just use common sense, don't overdo (but DO push yourself), and remember to breathe and relax.
Last edited by Dmitri on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Re: Isometric/static exercises

Postby Ben on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:04 pm

A good solid stick was one thing I was planning to get. ;D
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan