Best Taiji postures to train.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Best Taiji postures to train.

Postby Qin'sEmporium on Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Walter Joyce wrote:To paraphrase:

Writing (or talking) about fighting is like doing gymnastics about literature. It will ALWAYS be the finger pointing at the moon.

Discussions about fighting are done face to face and without very little use of words.

That is the point I'm at with a lot of these topics.

There are a few people on here that I would like to meet and train with, but despite the vast majority opinion here to the contrary trying to discuss fighting gets you no where.

Its almost as futile as relying on John Wang for advice on Taiji or internal arts.

;D

Dear Walter

Thank you for your post.

You highlight an interesting paradox - we discuss an activity that is physical by nature. Words and movement. It seems like they do not meet and are forever separate. But if you teach, writing serves to gather your thoughts and to share those thoughts with others. After-all, when we teach, we use words to encourage and explain the movements and hold a training group together. Group discipline eminates from the character of the teacher - and triggers the 'self-discipline' response in a good teacher.

As a student, this type of board offers a wide range of experience and advice about many different aspects of the art. Far more than was available when I was young, before the Net really kicked in. And this resource is 'free' at the point of use. We share because we care for, and respect our respective arts.

Writing has a functional purpose, but of course, we as individuals have to find that purpose. I know that you are a lawyer (attorney), and I also know that much of your triaining is reading and researching case histories - and yet law is a practical matter when in court, or when trying to devise a defence or prosecution strategy. I understand what you say about the motives of some who post - but we all find our places on the board.

Thank you
Qin'sEmporium
Huajing

Re: Best Taiji postures to train.

Postby Walter Joyce on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Mr. Qin,

I have taught, and my again in the future. I did not say that training methods can not be discussed productively, although there are limits and discussion should never replace training, I said trying to discuss fighting is essentially wasted effort.

A subtle distinction, but one that is important to make.

WTJ
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan