Best Taiji postures to train.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Best Taiji postures to train.

Postby johnwang on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Not all transitions make sense. The transition from "ward off" to "single whip" may make sense but the transition from "single whip" to "defending hand"s may not (defending hands is the beginning of a new sequence). This is why training part of the form is no different from training the whole form.

Ward off, Pull back, Press forward, Push, Double pulling, Single whip, defending hands, White crane flapping wings, ...
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:33 pm

johnwang wrote:Not all transitions make sense. The transition from ward off to single whip may make sense but the transition from single whip to defending hands may not. This is why training part of the form is no different from training the whole form.

Ward off, Pull back, Press forward, Push, Double pulling, Single whip, defending hands, White crane flapping wings, ...

Does every transition have to make sense as an application? When you practice your jab cross roundhouse kick combo does the transition between the cross and roundhouse have to make sense as anything other than retracting the punch and preparing to kick?
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Does the transition make sense from move 1 to move 4?

1. punch to the east.
2. punch to the north.
3. punch to the west.
4. punch to the south.

It has no combat connection among 1, 2, 3, and 4. It will make sense to train kick, punch, grab, throw, downward punch because it's valid combo sequence.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:52 pm

johnrieber wrote:if you want to work on two movements to improve all of your taiji, how about picking one that opens the body, and one that closes it? single whip and play guitar, for instance. :)

QFT.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm

In any event wouldn't you be better practicing with a partner? Or is that not practical for you right now? Solo moves, however much you train them will only take you so far
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:15 pm

RobP2 wrote:In any event wouldn't you be better practicing with a partner? Or is that not practical for you right now? Solo moves, however much you train them will only take you so far

I practice with a partner as often as possible (which in the sunny season averages at between once and three times a week doing various exercises at various intensities). Solo exercises are to develop attributes that I can map on to partner work :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Have you ever considered looking at any of the two man sets in Yang style? You can practice them solo and they are geared to application. That way you get solo training plus the chance to practice with a partner when possible

cheers

Rob
Last edited by RobP2 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for the thought.
I learned a section of the two man a long time ago.
The thing I didn't like about it was that the application was not really realistic.
So what I do instead is train realistic applications from single movements are movements that link together in a coherent way (I'm a xingyi guy, so I do a lot of single movement oriented training and then combine the single movements to make combos etc...). :)
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Iskendar on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 am

Brush knee, repulse monkey, grasp sparrow's tail and cloud hands are standard line drills in our system. Others I like to train in this way are horse parts mane, fair lady works the shuttles, golden rooster on one leg, step, parry and punch. You get a quite complete system with those.
I.
Iskendar
Wuji

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:30 am

mixjourneyman wrote:What in your opinion is the most useful movement, or small sequence of movements in either Yang or Wu style Taiji?

If it's been mentioned already i didn't see it, but grasp the sparrow's tail is the keystone to Yang style. If you don't understand GST then you don't understand Yang style. Most of your time should be spent on it. Same should go for any Yang derivative like Wu2.

However, that's not my opinion. That's widely known in yang style.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:39 am

"Most of your time should be spent on it"? Who said that, may I ask?
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:
mixjourneyman wrote:What in your opinion is the most useful movement, or small sequence of movements in either Yang or Wu style Taiji?

If it's been mentioned already i didn't see it, but grasp the sparrow's tail is the keystone to Yang style. If you don't understand GST then you don't understand Yang style. Most of your time should be spent on it. Same should go for any Yang derivative like Wu2.

Dave C.

Thats more or less what I have heard too.
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:06 am

Dmitri wrote:"Most of your time should be spent on it"? Who said that, may I ask?

I don't believe that Peng, Lu, Gi, An should be treated any more important than brush knee, repulse monkey, or right separate leg. After all it's the finish moves that you will need to end a fight such as turn around hammer (a punch to the head) or separate leg (a kick to the nuts).

I prefer to spend more time to train my finish moves.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:00 am

Tom wrote:hi David,
Well I don't practice either Sun taiji or bagua. However, watching Auyang Feng do Repulse Monkey underscores Tim's point on that particular series (including transitions), for me. Tim wasn't saying that the single-palm change was the basis for Repulse Monkey in Sun's taijiquan--only that it very broadly served the same function (change in direction) and some of the applications could be worked in a similar fashion. Not a particularly shocking statement, and when he demonstrated what he meant, it seemed very clear.

Ok then, Tom. Thanks for explaining further what what you meant.

Perhaps a little more imagination. 8-)

When it comes to imagination I have sort of a restricted view, maybe you could call it boring. ... :P

I believe that imagination will serve you best if you know something really well. If you don't, it easily turns into specualations, and you will not know for sure if it will lead you in the right path (being useful and productive) or not (waste your time) until you have spent sufficient time exploring your thoughts in actual practice. Any kind of cold talk or intricate speculation that does not lead you further on your path is a waste of time and effort. But if you are willing to test ideas in a most practical manner, and not merely think or speculate about things, imagination can be very important. On the other hand, if intellectual work will help someone to break the barriers of in-action and help him to activate himself, I guess any kind of imaginary speculation can have a positive result for your practice.

Cheers,
David
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:14 am

Formosa Neijia wrote:

Dave C.

The GST of Wu2 style isn't the same posture as in Yang style. Only the name is the same.

CD
cdobe
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan