Peter Ralston -- Cheng Hsin in fighting

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Peter Ralston -- Cheng Hsin in fighting

Postby Swede on Tue May 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I recall on occasion when Bruce Kumar Frantzis had me put my hands on his spine--anywhere with a little space between them--and he then made his spine longer, causing the space between my hands to grow larger, then he made his spine shrink causing my hands to come closer together. It was surprising how much movement there was.
Swede
Mingjing

Postby Aged Tiger on Tue May 27, 2008 7:52 pm

Swede wrote:I recall on occasion when Bruce Kumar Frantzis had me put my hands on his spine--anywhere with a little space between them--and he then made his spine longer, causing the space between my hands to grow larger, then he made his spine shrink causing my hands to come closer together. It was surprising how much movement there was.

But wouldn't that leave the possibility of slipping a disk if hit during the expansion phase?? ???

Chas
perfect practice is the secret....
Famous Quote: "You Bagua look like wounded duck on butter"
Aged Tiger
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Wed May 28, 2008 5:32 am

Aged Tiger wrote:
Swede wrote:I recall on occasion when Bruce Kumar Frantzis had me put my hands on his spine--anywhere with a little space between them--and he then made his spine longer, causing the space between my hands to grow larger, then he made his spine shrink causing my hands to come closer together. It was surprising how much movement there was.

But wouldn't that leave the possibility of slipping a disk if hit during the expansion phase?? ???

Chas

The amount of time it takes to open and close and the most likely angle between the opponents while the spine is opening and closing makes this highly unlikely. While for demonstration purposes one would open and close the vertebrae slowly and deliberately, in application it is done at a different rate. Like so many other things I have found in IMA, when first learning how to do something it takes a lot of focus and is usually done slowly, in practice it becomes a self-conscious movement that happens very quickly.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed May 28, 2008 3:23 pm

Is there any way to order a copy of that Ralston dvd over the internet, or do ya have to send a check or money order via snail-mail to Texas?
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby Walter Joyce on Wed May 28, 2008 5:12 pm

cerebus wrote:Is there any way to order a copy of that Ralston dvd over the internet, or do ya have to send a check or money order via snail-mail to Texas?

http://www.chenghsin.com/chsales.htm

Looks like snail mail to Texas.
The more one sweats during times of peace the less one bleeds during times of war.

Ideology offers human beings the illusion of dignity and morals while making it easier to part with them.
Walter Joyce
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed May 28, 2008 5:52 pm

cerebus wrote:Is there any way to order a copy of that Ralston dvd over the internet, or do ya have to send a check or money order via snail-mail to Texas?

Go to the page Walter provided and send him an email with your order. He can send you a link to Google checkout so you can pay online with credit card. It was very easy and they shipped pretty quick.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Wed May 28, 2008 8:59 pm

How much was shipping to Taiwan?
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Wed May 28, 2008 10:11 pm

kreese wrote:How much was shipping to Taiwan?

US$6 so not much. The order arrived fairly quickly, too.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby cerebus on Wed May 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Great! Thanks Dave!
"Fool, the Devil drives!"
cerebus
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sat May 31, 2008 4:16 am

Thank you, Dave.

I remember being so happy to get an expensive, barely used copy of his Tui Shou book a few years back. Then they reprinted it and it's everywhere >:( It would be nice to see some of those techniques in a dynamic format.
Last edited by kreese on Sat May 31, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan