Qigong, do you practice and if so, why?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Qigong, do you practice and if so, why?

Postby Haoran on Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm interested in who might practice qigong here, perhaps the style/type, and why. Why do you include qigong in your practice?
Haoran
Wuji

Re: Qigong, do you practice and if so, why?

Postby Formosa Neijia on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 pm

I practice various forms of qigong like the 8 brocades, etc. One reason to do them is the structure is simpler than doing a full blown IMA system. People like to say that IMA systems themselves are qigong so why do it, but those IMA systems tend to be complicated and involve lots of form work.

Qigong can express internal movement without the need for complicated forms or fighting concerns.

I mention fighting because when people are sparring/fighting or training for it, they tend to close up. That can be very detrimental to your IMA development. Learning how to open up as well as close, is vital and qigong is one very good way to do it.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:24 pm

I do a few, including both separate styles and methods included in certain IMA, and both moving and sitting methods.

Why? Mostly simply because I like it, but also to get an idea of "the whole picture." :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby chicagoTaiJi on Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:41 pm

I practice tai chi chuan, which is a kind of chi gong.
chicagoTaiJi
Anjing

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:40 am

Several different ones from two main systems.

It is the most effective way to learn the internal form-work and then put it into IMA. Without it, you increase your training-time unnecessarily. It is also quite common that the real power in a style comes from a qigong or neigong-set that fuels the MA part.

Haoran, if you want a more detailed answer, please make the question more precise. Right now it´s a bit like asking a group of painters whether they use paint. :)

Edited: also on the same line as Dave comments above. Having just IMA will often create tension in you and close your system down a bit. Ideally, you need some kind of stable qigong/neigong to open your system up, balance it, and balance your mind outside a martial framework. This will make the process of the IMA itself go faster and deeper, safer.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Last edited by Daniel on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:46 am

Oh, ok....

Do you practice Qigong for health, martial arts, spiritual reasons, medical etc? What kind of qigong do you practice?

If it's for:

1 Health: How does qigong help your health? Does this practice increase qi? If so, what are the mechanics of increasing qi, how does it work?

2. IMA: How does qigong help your IMA? Does the practice help structure? How does qigong help your IMA?

3. Spiritual: Big question here but feel free to answer.

4. Medical: Do you use qigong in a medical sense? To help ppl regain their health?

Thanks,
Haoran
Wuji

Postby mixjourneyman on Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:58 am

I sometimes do zhineng qigong (not as much as I used to though) and I've done a couple other systems of Qi Gong in the past.
I do it to clear my mind and to feel at one with the universe (I know how lame that sounds, but thats basically what a good qi gong session feels like to me) :D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:48 am

you can make your neijia (taichi, pakua, hsingyi,yiquan) practice to be like qigong in many ways.
neijia_boxer

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 am

I enjoy it #1.

It is a great addition to anyone martial practice as it works with other attribute development methods.

It provides me with expanded health.

regulation of breath is hugely important to your physical well being. I'm grateful that so many generations have taken the time and made the effort to catalog
the various permutations of breath work.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:52 pm

I do relaxed zhan zhuang, with natural breathing. This is useful as a health practice and also for martial conditioning. It promotes body awareness, improves balance and teaches relaxation.

There is more besides that you can do with ZZ, but I think most of the benefits are found in the basic practice.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:24 pm

I practice it. Some Daoist and energy cultivation stuff mainly.

I do it because I enjoy it.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Adj on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:38 pm

I practice Daoist Chi gong for the goal of immortality.
Adj
Santi

Postby klonk on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:48 pm

Adj wrote:I practice Daoist Chi gong for the goal of immortality.

Be sure to tell us how that works out, m'kay? :)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by Michael on Tue May 29, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michael

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:20 am

Hopefully qigong will make me healthier :D I think I have to practice more, though.

Certain qigong methods are required for certain IMA. I think structure is first, and then qi follows.

There are Daoist qigong methods, and then there are Buddhist qigong methods, so I guess there is some spirituality (or maybe just religion) there.

Haven't learned medical qigong yet, but I am pretty interested in it. Various methods out there.
edededed
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan