Hair Combing

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Hair Combing

Postby Royal Dragon on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:08 pm

You see it in Shaolin Xiao Hong Quan

0:32-0:33 and 0:52-0:53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsfMLyGkmaE

You also see it in various places on the Da hong set as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1h8pyH7 ... re=related
Last edited by Royal Dragon on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Royal Dragon
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Seems to be at roughly 1:00 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8urlr8RM0
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby zenman on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:10 pm

We did it in Hapkido...kinda like Elvis brushing his hand over his hair :). Then made a grab, ripped their arm off and beat them with it.
zenman
Anjing

Postby Craig on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:10 pm

this is a very common move in xin yi liu he, i think the english translation is something like "cat washes face". JB might be able to help out on the exact name. It is part of core training in xinyi liuhe and one of my favourite moves for both defense and entry with elbows and shoulders.
Craig
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:The guy in your picture's got his elbows out waaay too wide, but yeah, it's a useful move....especially against hooks.

agreed... that's dong zhong yi. In the chang (Bao ding) system, we are taught a tighter angle.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby oldtyger on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 am

Hmmm....that's interesting. I have not learned that specific physical movement but then again, I'm not that advanced in any of my arts. In the Wu style taijiquan, I have learned something with a similar name "Comb the hair" in English which is probably exactly the same in Chinese as the movement you've listed. The movement is from push hands--so I was never taught against a strike but I believe it might work. The way I was taught is a redirection of someone's push upwards on my forearm/wrist and you do mimic combing your hair left to right behind your head with the hand.

Also I learned a technique that is also similar from someone a long time ago--Filipino technique. It's like washing your face, elbow is down--and this was meant to redirect someone else's strike to your head.
oldtyger
Mingjing

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 am

in the cowboy punch thread, this is what i reference as a destruction or dissolving move.

rodney kings is a good tape from sbg (straight blast gym).

in the hung kuen (or other styles that use it), it is not only a deflection, it is also an attack. upward elbow strike followed by downward followed by a biu ji to soft target. this is the elbows out. with the elbows in and tight to the body, it's useful as a strong defense against most incoming hand strikes.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

The prey mantis system call this move as "掛 (Gua) - hang" and always followed by "插掌 (Cha Zhang) - palm strike" by using the same hand to strike back to your opponent's face.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:36 pm

from that monkey page:

3rd one is almost identical to that wu (hao) clip
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:34 pm

yes, that's a destruction. works great! tested and approved. lol

also seam pushing, palm patting and wrist chopping are key depending on where the incoming is coming from in context to where you are.
(also whether or not you can "see" it)
Last edited by Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby tim_stl on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 am

everything wrote:from that monkey page:

nice. we call that the standing monkey position, but generally use it to enter to a clinch.

tim
Garimot Arnis - St. Louis
http://www.garimot-stl.com/

Spanish Swordsmanship Society
http://www.spanishsword.org/
tim_stl
Mingjing

Postby johnwang on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:46 pm

The "single hooking and hair combing", "double hooking and hair combing", and "mixed hooking and hair combing" were the ancient SC solo forms #1, #2, and #3. In other words, ancient SC guys would train "grip fight" before they even started to learn their 1st throw. To learn grip fight in the very early stage in SC seems conflict with the Judo "learning grip fight only in the advance stage".

Similar throw arts but different emphasis between Chinese SC and Japanese Judo. Why both approaches are so different? What's more important than deflecting an incoming punch to your face?
Last edited by johnwang on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan