Brendon Lai's Speed

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Brendon Lai's Speed

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 am

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Brendon Lai's Speed

Postby Chris McKinley on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Sure....it's always fun to watch someone move that fast if it's also smooth. It's even more fun to actually move that fast yourself. It's like stretching your wings. However, it's almost uselessly fast for training. Anything you're doing at that speed is just happening, you're not going to be doing any serious evaluation or alteration when you're stuff's going by that quickly. Still, it is a helluva lot of fun.
Chris McKinley

Postby johnwang on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Brendan Lai told me that in PM system if your hand and feet are not just a blur to your eyes then you are not moving fast enough.

Chris McKinley wrote:it's almost uselessly fast for training. Anything you're doing at that speed is just happening, you're not going to be doing any serious evaluation or alteration when you're stuff's going by that quickly.

When you make love to your love one, some suggests you should do it as fast as you can so "your love one" will get the most pleasure. Some suggests you should do it as slow as you can so "you" can get the most pleasure.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Doc Stier on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:43 pm

A lot of guys have tremendous arm and hand speed, but lack power in their techniques because they use it independently of their body weight and momentum. Instead, it is essentially just a flashy show of movement without much substance for practical application.

Brendan Lai, however, had the full meal deal, IMO. He possessed great speed for sure, but with integrated power, precision, and control as well. It was always a pleasure to see him perform, and even more impressive to feel his skills demonstrated on you.

Doc
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:06 pm

I have seen many of his demos, and spoken with many of his students, and I agree with everything but the control comment. ;)
JAB

Postby Wanderingdragon on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:23 pm

When I see speed, it is impressive, when I see connected speed, I am impressed, I always wish the camera would keep rolling in the end so I can see where the breath is, I think this would help me know the control. When I go with speed and find myself winded , even a little, I look for my disconnect in performance, maybe I am not correct, I am human, the more energy I express the more oxygen I burn, should my breath keep up, or is it that I have to reach Sage level to not get winded. Any help ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:38 pm

One day Brendon said he he could use his leading arm to hit my back shoulder before my leading arm could intercept it. I accepted the challenged. He tried and failed. He then said, "I have under estimated your speed." That was about 30 years ago.

Wanderingdragon wrote: the more energy I express the more oxygen I burn, should my breath keep up, or is it that I have to reach Sage level to not get winded. Any help ?

This is why one of my LF brothers switched to Zimen style because he said that he always breath hard after LF work out. After I had learned 6 Zimen forms, I understood that their forms were designed completely differently (slow speed, relax, not much kicks). Today I don't believe such style exists. If anybody can do 50 tornado kicks none stop and end with normal breathing speed then I have to show my ultimate respect to that person. If you want horse to run but you don't allow it to eat is inhuman.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
johnwang
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan