Walk in Low Stance

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Walk in Low Stance

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Probably because to go that deep puts the entire weight of his body into his kua?

Have you ever tried walking like that? It's hard.

Best,

S
Last edited by shawnsegler on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby yusuf on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:06 am

hey all

I trained a few times with Teacher He Jing Han. I found the circle walking to be very interesting but all of us beginners who did it were falling over and twisting bits of their legs up. We were training in a park around some trees with big exposed roots. There were two long term students there and they seem to manage ok. The rest of us didn't.

The reason for this, I believe, is the specific structural requirements of this style. Unless the dung power carries ones weight (hence you can fall into a step but the weight doesn't 'reach' the ground) and the root is being kept inside the pelvis, this circle walking doesn't really work in my opinion. I'm sure others with more experience and skill (Alex or Mr HE) will pitch in and correct me.

Having considered studying this system in depth I went back to Cheng Style. For me, I really prefer natural walking, and even if you go low the same requirements are there on being natural inc. structure, alignment, lightness etc.

yusuf
[Seeking and not seeking are the problem...]
lol, there really isn't a problem at all
yusuf
Great Old One

Postby SteveBonzak on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

shawnsegler wrote:Probably because to go that deep puts the entire weight of his body into his kua?

Have you ever tried walking like that? It's hard.

Best,

S

Yeah, we walk like that all the time. We have been trained to walk with very light steps, so I was just wondering. Not trying to criticize, just genuinely curious since I respect and like what he does.

-Steve
SteveBonzak
Anjing

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:31 pm

The "low stance walking" will "sink down" your center. The regular running will "raise up" your center. My SC teacher didn't want me to run and I still feel guilty every time I run. I'm trying to completely replace my running by low stance walking.
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan