Choosing the Right Knife

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Choosing the Right Knife

Postby Ian on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:20 am

Just some things I've learned about knives recently. Thought I'd share, as well as encourage those a lot more knowledgeable than myself to also share their experiences.

1. The knife should preferably have a decent quillon. A small quillon is just not sufficient if you're using the knife for something other than slicing or hacking, because you'll most likely cut yourself.

2. The knife should have a sturdy grip. I know... save the applause for later...

I own a Cold Steel Spike http://www.coldsteel.com/spikeseries.html

and it's a small, pretty blade, but IMO completely non-functional. It suffers from having a poor grip (too slim and offers very little traction) as well as having next to no quillon. Even if you were to stab with it with a thumb on the rear quillon, you'd still risk slipping and badly cutting your hand.

Case in point, I was using the Spike for some easy utility work - not even training with it - and a slight snag had my thumb sliding over the base of the blade (ironically, the ONLY part of the blade that holds an edge... :) ).

Then a few days later, the same thing on the other hand. Slight snag, no grip, thumb over the base of the blade.

Ok maybe two deep cuts on both thumbs means I'm fucking retarded, but IMO tools that you expect to use when you're less than level-headed should be... not idiot-proof, but at least a little safer for the user.

3. It's possible to maintain a grip on something when cut on the forearm or back of the hand. Not so with cuts to the fingers or palms, which causes the hands to open involuntarily.

Well there's my blatantly obvious two pence. Feel free to add.
Ian

Re: Choosing the Right Knife

Postby Frazetta on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 am

Bloody good advice. ;)
Frazetta
Anjing

Postby Bhassler on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:45 am

Here in the states one also has to consider the legality of carrying various types and sizes of blades.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:19 am

Ian,

Sell that Spike or save it for emergency backup anti-personnel use like it's designed for (meaning, unless you're an undercover or CT/LEO, it's a silly item). What kind of utility chores are you needing a knife for? A good folder with a safe opening mechanism works well for everyday stuff, and for more rugged use where you'll need any kind of a quillion, something like the Recon Scout or SRK are good choices in the Cold Steel line.

Basically, don't purchase some fancy special-purpose tactical knife for anything but that purpose or for collection. For real use, get something with a quillion, something fairly short-to-medium in length, and something with some thickness to the blade. You'll also probably want a fairly small blade profile and most likely a drop point or similar instead of a tanto point. Black T coating can actually be fairly practical for other than stealth anti-personnel use in that it protects against rust, but if you use the knife much for rugged chores, it will eventually wear off.
Chris McKinley

Postby klonk on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Not claiming to be particularly knowlegeable, but one thing to ask is, what design features have stood the test of time? In former times people were very particular about their daggers, because they had a not inconsiderable chance of using them. So looking at old daggers can give you an idea about what you want in a new one. IMHO, the best modern designs look distinctly old fashioned.

I looked at the link and the handle profile of these CS knives resembles a commonplace style of kitchen knife. It doesn't look like any purpose-built fighter I ever saw. ???
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks, Chris.

Chris McKinley wrote:What kind of utility chores are you needing a knife for?

I try to use my knives as much as possible, for a wide range of tasks. The last two mishaps occurred while I was removing a seam from a pair of jeans, and cleaning a fish. :P

A good folder with a safe opening mechanism works well for everyday stuff, and for more rugged use where you'll need any kind of a quillion, something like the Recon Scout or SRK are good choices in the Cold Steel line.

I've been thinking of getting one of those, though not necessarily from Cold Steel. By the way, I already own a kukri which I use for cutting wood for camp fires. Do either of the aforementioned knives hold any advantages over the kukri?

Basically, don't purchase some fancy special-purpose tactical knife for anything but that purpose or for collection.

Even if you use them for their intended purpose, aren't a) the lack of a quillon and b) poor traction on the grip design flaws which apply to the majority of 'tactical' folders out there on the market?

For real use, get something with a quillion, something fairly short-to-medium in length, and something with some thickness to the blade. You'll also probably want a fairly small blade profile and most likely a drop point or similar instead of a tanto point.

Something like this? http://www.bladefinder.com/products/ben ... k-blade-sh <<what I'm thinking of getting soon.
Last edited by Ian on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby Chris McKinley on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm

Ian,

RE: "Do either of the aforementioned knives hold any advantages over the kukri?". For what purpose? For chopping campfire wood? Not even close. The only thing that can compare to a kukri for that would be an axe. However, in terms of versatility for use in a wide range of chores, either of those knives would beat a kukri hands down.

RE: "Even if you use them for their intended purpose, aren't a) the lack of a quillon and b) poor traction on the grip design flaws which apply to the majority of 'tactical' folders out there on the market?". Those aren't design flaws, they are design limitations. Basically, the answer is "yes", to an extent, which is why a folder ultimately can't do everything a fixed blade can. Then again, a folder can be carried more easily in more different places than a fixed blade, and even with its limitations, a folder is still a huge advantage over nothing at all for self-defense purposes.

RE: "Something like this?". Yeah. In fact, that looks for all the world like Benchmade's version of an SRK. Benchmade makes excellent products, and that fits the bill nicely.
Chris McKinley

Postby Andy_S on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 pm

And remember:
After a Gurkha has unsheathed his kukri, he cannot honorably replace it without drawing sap...
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:47 am

cold steel makes good quality blades, unfortunately, they have a fat guy(lynn thompson)promoting them for fighting like he wants to be some sort of knifefighting guru and he winds up looking like a fat guy in a womens empowerment group suit waddling his way through the motions of patty cake with batons. lol

the swordmaker is often not the greatest at weilding it.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Chris McKinley on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

Lynn's got some pretty big aspirations, but he has come a long way in terms of ability if you've watched his progress. He may still need to get a little more serious about his fitness regime if he wants to get to his goal, but he is serious about his training. And he's got enough time in using big knives that I wouldn't want to disturb his camp tent if he's got a kukri or a Bowie handy.

Our favorite intellectually-thieving, rancid mild-producing hairy Tibetan mammal friend from elsewhere aside, large gentlemen are capable of moving quickly and gracefully with a blade if they practice, just like everyone else.
Chris McKinley

Postby Haoran on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:42 am

I just bought one of these:

http://www.combathunting.com/BOKER_USA_ ... Knife.html

Which is way overkill for what I wanted it for (camping/hunting) but it's still a nice knife.

Check out these forums for knife knowledge:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php

Nice site.
Haoran
Wuji

Postby Chanchu on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:56 am

Chris mentioned CS "recon scout" nice knife I have the bigger one trail master bowie but the recon scout bowie is a bit smaller EZ to carry and has a pretty good kydex sheath, been checking them out nice balance.

I think that will be my next buy when I get the bread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXyDgvOEYUg
Last edited by Chanchu on Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chanchu
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Chris McKinley wrote:Lynn's got some pretty big aspirations, but he has come a long way in terms of ability if you've watched his progress. He may still need to get a little more serious about his fitness regime if he wants to get to his goal, but he is serious about his training. And he's got enough time in using big knives that I wouldn't want to disturb his camp tent if he's got a kukri or a Bowie handy.

Our favorite intellectually-thieving, rancid mild-producing hairy Tibetan mammal friend from elsewhere aside, large gentlemen are capable of moving quickly and gracefully with a blade if they practice, just like everyone else.

I can appreciate that "big" guys can move. The thing is, can they keep moving in a protracted engagement and the answer is pretty much always a resounding "no".

Were I mister Thompson I would defer to knife fighters who used my products. I have no doubt that if he had Inosanto promoting his knives, he'd sell way more than what it would cost him to pay guru Dan to demo them.

fitness is critical to ones path as a martial artist. absolutely critical.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby strawdog on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:47 pm

For big factory production knives I prefer Spyderco over Coldsteel.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:10 pm

http://www.coldsteel.com/americanlawman.html

this is the best knife i have. i have used it for work for a while and done a lot of cutting copper cables, opening boxes, and various other chores and it is still very sharp. its a 3 1/3" blade but the handle is big enough to fit in my hands well and the grip is good with no slip even when i have used it in the rain ... in the usa it is ok to carry but most places i go over seas i keep it in my tool box so i dont break any local laws ...

the spyderco knives are nice to but this on feels more solid with the lock than others i have felt.
bruce
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan