responses to the cowboy punch

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: responses to the cowboy punch

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 am

Chris McKinley wrote:Double-tap....center/center-right of mass.....from modified Isosceles, right lead. I recommend .45 ACP, semi-automatic, regular load and Hydrashocks if you're worried about penetration threat to bystanders.

Well, that would of course be the mild response. The overkill would be smiling gently and saying, "Want a daiquiri?" Or, if it´s a Hell´s Angel, say, "Lost your Honda?"

...this thread...this thread is fun. One of those LOL threads. Good work.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:33 am

Fuck me, did McKinley really write that? I must have missed it when I suggested my "McKinley solution." Pretty close, though, eh?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby JusticeZero on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:16 am

If one of my students hasn't figured out how to esquiva and respond to a slow, very high, linear, highly committed attack after a couple of months, I really need to question my credentials. Any sort of esquiva will move completely out of the target area of that attack and set up for something else.
"Freedom is the ability to move in any direction you choose." - Mestre No
"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby Chris McKinley on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:01 pm

JZ,

For those of us unfamiliar with the glossary of Capoeira, would you mind providing some degree of objective description of what esquiva is please?
Chris McKinley

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Shooter wrote:
You should always expect a flurry, otherwise you're just sparring

Truth

The sad thing is, it's hard to find people who can replicate the intensity, speed and ill-intent involved when, for instance, a 200+lb hockey player or logger cuts loose after having a few drinks. But it definitely helps to have training partners who can give you that level of emulation, and who can portray the mental/emotional component in the types of attacks one is most likely to encounter at their work, or where ever- when you actually start believing your training partner really is the enemy

This is very difficult psychologically to do properly. I like this kind of training, it is eye opening and empowering but I often dread it before, unless I was either off from training for a while or I feel particularly macho. In either cases, the testing resets my illusions. We do this not too often, as testing. We then work on one or more weak areas discovered during testing.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby JusticeZero on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:11 am

Chris McKinley wrote:JZ,

For those of us unfamiliar with the glossary of Capoeira, would you mind providing some degree of objective description of what esquiva is please?

Sorry.. very basic stuff, so I forget to explain..
Esquiva is the general term for an evasive footwork movement, usually incorporating a level drop, often taking the form of lunging the head and shoulders forward and down with the line of a circular attack or off line of a linear combined with a step into a deep stance. It is identical to, if normally exaggerated forms of, the same stepping work used in the rest of the footwork to work with off angles and the like, and most of the flow drills I do involves transitioning from esquiva to attack of various forms, with the esquiva preferably used directly to gain a more advantageous position.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby JusticeZero on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Apologies.. on review, when I was thinking back over the Regional forms, I realized that the defining characteristic was that of changing shape to conform to the non-threatened space, rather than footwork.. though the footwork is still central.
JusticeZero
Huajing

Postby johnrieber on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:48 pm

attach and pulldown on a strong diagonal, followed by a-spitting yer chaw of t'baccy into the opponent's eyes. :)
johnrieber

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan