Qi gong DVD series thoughts?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Qi gong DVD series thoughts?

Postby Jeice on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:11 am

Hey guys, I'm in "DVD collector ninja" mode, and am looking at this series:

"""""""""""""""This is the Qi Gong Correspondence Course offered by the Chinese National Chi Kung Institute (CNCKI) -

It is also the Chi Kung course recommended and followed by American Ninjutsu master - Glenn Morris (in his book :" Path Notes of an American Ninjutsu Master")....in short, the real stuff....enjoy

Qi Gong Complete Course

There are a lot of Qi Gong courses on the market. And all of them show a variety of movements and standing postures and all of them claim that that is Qi Gong. But most of them are offered by the Chinese who actually try to hide the real qi gong from non-Chinese. And the rest of them are offered by deluded Westerners who have not really found their own Qi but merely mimic their Chinese teachers. They offer the branches and leaves but hide the root. The root is the calm breath-energy circulating at will throughout the body.

The Tien Tao Qi Gong Correspondence Course originally cost over US$300 and you can still probably find it being offered for that price. And the videos were another US$300 in total. But they all are worth every penny because they actually teach you how to find and to circulate your Qi, your Life Force. And since Qi is the basis of all Chinese Kungfu and Chinese Culture, if you can find it within yourself, you will be able to unravel all of the mysteries, all of the religions, all of the cultural treasures of Asia because you will KNOW what they are talking about and what they are actually teaching. And your power of kungfu will be increased a hundred fold.

Make no mistake: Learning qi gong is both easy and difficult. It is easy because sitting quietly and breathing in a special way is easy. But it is difficult because sitting quietly and breathing gently without your mind filling with 10,000 thoughts is not easy. Calming the Mind and relaxing the muscles is difficult, but once you can do it, it's easy. And once you can perceive your True Mind, then Enlightenment is not as distant as you may have supposed.

Although this torrent contains ten videos, the real treasure is found in the written lessons, themselves: The Tien Tao Qi Gong Correspondence Course. Read and study the course carefully; practice just one of the exercises daily for a month each, and at at the end of ten months you will be an adept at qi gong. """"""""""

Thoughts? worth the bandwidth? I'm just curious is all, my qi gong knowledge and practice is basic at best.
Jeice
Anjing

Re: Qi gong DVD series thoughts?

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:39 am

I dunno, I don't think that learning qigong on your own (especially the sitting kind) is a good idea (we don't need more crazies, do we?)...

I've not heard of "tien tao qi gong" but the name sort of strikes me as a bit suspicious ("way of heaven" sounds rather generic), but who knows?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby RobP2 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:48 am

I though GM did pretty much Yang Jwing Ming stuff - at least he wrote a lot about one of his exercises in one of his books. That aside the blurb just sounds like the worst kind of advertising and something to be avoided

cheers

Rob
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:02 am

See? This is why I love this board. And lets face it, I'm not much for sitting still, and if I got any crazier... I'll probably kill many people, or myself... I'm not really sure. I'd play it by ear.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Michael on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:27 am

Qigong can be really dangerous. If you're a beginner, you need someone to at least tell you what areas are potentially dangerous and to be avoided without qualified supervision. Aren't you in San Fran? Maybe run some of it by the Fairy Land Fight Club Fellas for some advice.
Michael

Postby Simon on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 am

I have the text version and have to say against my better judgment kind of enjoyed reading it and there is a ton of stuff in there, though for me I prefer simpler standing methods than lots of complication which is how this read to me.

Simon
Simon
Wuji

Postby Jeice on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Michael wrote:Qigong can be really dangerous. If you're a beginner, you need someone to at least tell you what areas are potentially dangerous and to be avoided without qualified supervision. Aren't you in San Fran? Maybe run some of it by the Fairy Land Fight Club Fellas for some advice.

Actually in Haliburton, Ontario. Training with wolves and moose. The only fairies are the giant mosquitos, and they don't come out until summer. I figure I'll just stick to my simple standing regime, no sense risking fucking up chakras and meridians I don't even know the names of.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby RobP2 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:39 am

Were they reall charging $6000???? That's amazing.... Hey send me $2000 and I'll make you a DVD series....
"If your life seems dull and boring - it is" - Derek & Clive
http://www.systemauk.com/
RobP2
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:39 am

Michael wrote:Qigong can be really dangerous.

When one of my LF brothers did his Qigong, his eye balls fell out. Someone told him to put a bandanna around his neck, his problem was solved.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm

johnwang wrote:
Michael wrote:Qigong can be really dangerous.

When one of my LF brothers did his Qigong, his eye balls fell out. Someone told him to put a bandanna around his neck, his problem was solved.

Excellent! Thank you sensei!!! :D
Last edited by bigphatwong on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Haoran on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Tian Dao? Is this the religious cult out of Taiwan? Who made up this qigong?
Haoran
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 pm

bigphatwong wrote:Excellent! Thank you sensei!!! :D

Sound like a joke and I agree. I'm not sure what did happen to my friend back then but I still keep the letter he wrote to me more than 35 years ago.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby oldtyger on Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:18 pm

It sounds like a generic ad for qigong but phrased like one of those ads in Black Belt or Inside Kungfu about secret arts, training techniques, etc.

You can't learn qigong without a qualified teacher--at least that's my opinion. Sitting, standing, moving--they all work but sometimes a subtle difference in posture is enough to block the flow of qi.
oldtyger
Mingjing

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:45 am

Haoran wrote:Tian Dao? Is this the religious cult out of Taiwan? Who made up this qigong?

Hmm....could be. Or maybe they just made up the name.

For the price, I would highly suggest the Essential Qigong Training Course by Kenneth Cohen. It's only $60 on amazon and its solid material.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan