follow up to arm jamming

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

follow up to arm jamming

Postby everything on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:07 pm

sometimes in the taijiquan videos they'll show press as a move that sort of jams the arm up into the shoulder, uprooting the person. i'd like to try this move but with a follow-up throw. what would work well? if I jam someone's right arm up, that would put their weight into their left foot. i could bring them back the other way but not sure that is as good as going the same direction.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: follow up to arm jamming

Postby Ba-men on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:34 pm

everything wrote: what would work well? if I jam someone's right arm up, that would put their weight into their left foot.

As the opponent fights my press In the manner u described....Or I am pressing up under his armpit already and he fights my press
I like to try for a "spiraling arm drag."

Its a technique that involves slipping your right arm up under his armpit and clinching deep shoulder to shoulder, at the same time u step behind his right leg with your right foot and turn/snap out to your left...using the crook in his right arm as a contact point to perform the arm drag. The trick is using your right foot as a pivot point by swing the left leg backwards and behind as..... you snap your hips and drag/pull to the left. Go experiment u will figure it out...then work on it by learning to do it on the move...

Such as....
( I.e.....U make contact and sink your root and pull/draw your opponent of his own root by stepping backward...sidewards etc... then try and time the spiral arm drag as the opponent is stepping to maintain his root...Of course if he fights the pull..U push.... ) also learn to set it up using elbows and shoulder slams etc... U can also perform a spiraling arm drag same side too... with a similar (but different) technique...yet it involves different setups and applications...

There is a counter attack if the spiral arm drag is foiled...It takes advantage of the opponent fighting the drag and goes in the direction of his resistance....but that's for another day....

Hope this helps..
Last edited by Ba-men on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby johnrieber on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:21 pm

if you jam someone's right arm up with a deep-in and rising press, their lost balance is going up and into their right shoulder. after that, if they're not falling backwards, their right elbow is yours. and probably their right wrist as well. and you can snap on that stuff, torque that stuff, push, or pulldown.

if you press straight in and get their arm up against their body, you can press again (or just follow through, if you have good flow on the press) and either long-smooth-fa into the structure of the ribcage (if your press is on the oblique side) or pop cold energy into the abdomen, if soft tissue is your extended through-the-press point of contact.

the latter you would want to tone way down into a gentle superficial bounce if you were pushing hands. press breaks things.

good time to step in, too.
Last edited by johnrieber on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
johnrieber

Postby johnwang on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:46 pm

everything wrote:if I jam someone's right arm up, that would put their weight into their left foot.

If you jam someone's right arm up, press his neck down, that would put his weight into his left foot, you then sweep that left leg. Always integrate your "leg move" along with your hands move - 手是兩扇門全憑腳赢人 (Shou Shi Liang Shan Men Quan Ping Jian Ying Ren) - hands are just like 2 doors, it's your leg that defeats your opponent.
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby johnrieber on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:51 pm

johnwang wrote:
everything wrote:if I jam someone's right arm up, that would put their weight into their left foot.

hands are just like 2 doors, it's your leg that defeats your opponent.

:)
johnrieber

Postby everything on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:52 pm

ok thanks a lot. I'll give these a try when I get the chance.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan