ZZ / Standing Pole DVD's

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: ZZ / Standing Pole DVD's

Postby neijin on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:45 am

Maybe that concept is related to "Leading force by tip-section and folding from both tips" according to master Zhang Zhi Jun (onother Chen Zao Kui's students togheter with Ma Hong).
neijin.
May the Schwartz be with you!
neijin
Santi

Postby Formosa Neijia on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:30 am

There are many DVD series on yiquan:
http://www.plumpub.com/sales/cdvd/cdvdcoll_yiquan.htm

Pick one, they're pretty much all the same as far as I can tell.

Dave C.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby novamma on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:44 am

klonk wrote:There is not much material out there; ZZ does not make for engaging video. I mean, after the first few minutes it all looks the same. Still pictures are as informative. Here is a book I like:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8oSRtS5zBJIC

Klonk is pretty right- i mean how retarded to you have to be to need a video on how to stand in place.
novamma

Postby jjy5016 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:21 am

Traditional taijiquan and traditional yiquan are VERY similar and share many of the same exercies. The names differ but the similarities in the practices outweigh the differences by a large margin in my experience.

Zhan zhuang isn't just about standing still. Some types do have very small movements for some very specific purposes. But trying to find a book or video that teaches the hows and whys might be difficult.

Not fond of Lam Kam Chuen's books at all.
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 am

xxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Sprint on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:37 am

jjy5016 wrote:Traditional taijiquan and traditional yiquan are VERY similar and share many of the same exercies. The names differ but the similarities in the practices outweigh the differences by a large margin in my experience.

Zhan zhuang isn't just about standing still. Some types do have very small movements for some very specific purposes. But trying to find a book or video that teaches the hows and whys might be difficult.

I'm interested to know what exercises are the same between yiquan and taiji.
Sprint
Wuji

Postby klonk on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:03 pm

jjy5016 wrote:Traditional taijiquan and traditional yiquan are VERY similar and share many of the same exercies. The names differ but the similarities in the practices outweigh the differences by a large margin in my experience.

In defense of Lam (I am not his student, would like the chance, but distance intervenes):

There is nothing in his books you can really screw up. He doesn't give you much chance to hurt yourself. For example, he specifically warns against the Descending Dragon with the toe out. Good. If you are in poor physical condition you can hurt foot or crotch. Okay...

He does not offer any specific help in discovering internal connections (in the print material) but seems to think that if you stand enough, and relax enough, you will find that part, or have questions. I think anyone with a prior acquintance with TJQ would think his material useful.

To borrow a phrase from The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy: "Mostly harmless."
Last edited by klonk on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:15 am

Taiji long pole exercises = Yiquan long pole exercises
Taiji form practice = Yiquan shi li & mo cha bo
Push hands = push hands
Taiji Heng & Ha training = yiquan shi sheng

Klonk,
Standing like a fool is mostly harmless also. Without the "internal connections" and the proper physical attributes of the different zhuangs the results will most likely be similar.

I can't speak for others but when I buy a book or video I expect there to be something more substantial in it than I'm not going to hurt myself. Your suggestion that the video covers what is left out in the book is quite possibly true but I wouldn't lay out more money for it just to find out.

I know someone who goes to China to study with Lam's teacher Yu Yong Nian and he tells that Yu is teaching him standing pretty much in the same way that I was taught which is quite different than what Lam is writing about.

Caveat Emptor

small John
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:35 am

jjy5016 wrote:Taiji long pole exercises = Yiquan long pole exercises
Taiji form practice = Yiquan shi li & mo cha bo
Push hands = push hands
Taiji Heng & Ha training = yiquan shi sheng

Good list, John!

I guess that taiji form practice is equivalent to yiquan shili/mochabu in meaning and effect, but not in terms of method, though. (The others in the list are more similar.)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

John: Perhaps we are speaking at cross purposes. If somebody writes an article, "How To Teach A Child To Ride A Bicycle," will you come back with, Well, yeah, but you can't ride that way in the Tour Du France?

Could you explain the problem? Thanks!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 am

jjy5016 wrote:
I can't speak for others but when I buy a book or video I expect there to be something more substantial in it than I'm not going to hurt myself. Your suggestion that the video covers what is left out in the book is quite possibly true but I wouldn't lay out more money for it just to find out.

I know someone who goes to China to study with Lam's teacher Yu Yong Nian and he tells that Yu is teaching him standing pretty much in the same way that I was taught which is quite different than what Lam is writing about.

Caveat Emptor

small John

Ahem.... The video is actually pretty good. It's not a detailed "how to" more of a look at people doing different things - teaching, correcting, demonstrating - personally I thought it was fascinating. It's great to see Professor Yu pushing hands (Yi Quan style, which looks very different to Tai Chi style) with Lam's son too - he hits him with a great strike - very interesting to see it too - it's just like XingYi's Beng done Hebei style. Wang's daughter also makes an appearance. It's a great video to inspire you to practice - I always want to hold a ZZ position when I watch it.

In the video you see that Lam's style is different to Professor Yu's style. Professor Yu doesn't seem to have a problem with that - from watching it I got the impression that your personal experience with martial arts could be carried into your Yi Quan practice and that would result in each person having a unique "flavour" to what they do. Seemed fair enough to me. Lam demonstrates some very impressive skills on that video.

Cheers,
G
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:19 am

klonk wrote:John: Perhaps we are speaking at cross purposes. If somebody writes an article, "How To Teach A Child To Ride A Bicycle," will you come back with, Well, yeah, but you can't ride that way in the Tour Du France?

Could you explain the problem? Thanks!

Hello Klonk,

You just explained the problem with your own example. The child isn't going to read the article and be ready for the Tour Du France. He needs SOMEONE to teach him how to ride the bike.

By all means if you guys think you can learn standing from books and videos then more power to you.
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:35 am

GrahamB wrote:
It's a great video to inspire you to practice - I always want to hold a ZZ position when I watch it.

In the video you see that Lam's style is different to Professor Yu's style. Professor Yu doesn't seem to have a problem with that - from watching it I got the impression that your personal experience with martial arts could be carried into your Yi Quan practice and that would result in each person having a unique "flavour" to what they do. Seemed fair enough to me. Lam demonstrates some very impressive skills on that video.

Cheers,
G

Glad you liked the book and video Graham. I hope it will bring your yiquan practice to new levels.
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:39 am

jjy5016 wrote:
GrahamB wrote:
It's a great video to inspire you to practice - I always want to hold a ZZ position when I watch it.

Cheers,
G

Glad you liked the book and video Graham. I hope it will bring your yiquan practice to new levels.

Oooh you bitch! :P
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan