ZZ / Standing Pole DVD's

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

ZZ / Standing Pole DVD's

Postby Chowfarn on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Can any one recommend a DVD on ZZ or advanced Santi.
I'm after combat stances & training - not health.

I saw some Yiquan & Taikiken ones on the net, but didn't know if they were any good.
Chowfarn
Anjing

Re: ZZ / Standing Pole DVD's

Postby Fubo on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm

"The principles of baguazhang fighting" by Luo De Xiu briefly covers him doing santi and gives some basic points on it... plus it's a great video on real baguazhang. There are also some basic power training methods from gao style.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby klonk on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:32 pm

There is not much material out there; ZZ does not make for engaging video. I mean, after the first few minutes it all looks the same. Still pictures are as informative. Here is a book I like:

http://books.google.com/books?id=8oSRtS5zBJIC
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Even better, my buddy showed me a book on ling kong jin like maybe...15 years ago, so I didn't know much...but I was, as you say, not engaged by what it said. "stand like a stake" For 5 years.. That and a picture was a chapter.

Best,

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby David Boxen on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:35 pm

We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby GrahamB on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:02 am

Somebody wearing silk pajamas and looking authentic should make a video where they stand in a posture for 20 minutes. That's all. Maybe some hippy dippy misc to relax to at the same time. They could market it as an "essential timing device" - you just stand along with Master Zarg and you don't need to worry about standing too long or too short a time - you'll do exactly 20 minutes each time!

Maybe Master Zarg could also emit his chi through the television, to help you stand. That would be cool.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:56 am

Alex Kozma´s Beyond the Mysterious Gate has some practical advice, besides being a good read too. More technical advice in his latest, Ziranmen. Goes over Santi too. BTMG is coming out in reprint soon, Ziranmen can be ordered straight from him or his student Mike, I think.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby Dale Dugas on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:16 am

I also sell all of Dr. Painter's(My teacher) dvds and books. In the Combat Baguazhang books he goes through and describes all the levels of standing that are done in Jiulong Baguazhang. Good info on standing sitting and moving.

You can see them all at http://www/coilingdragon.com/store
Last edited by Dale Dugas on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Dale Dugas, AP DOM MAOM, Dipl.OM
http://www.daledugas.com
Dale Dugas
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Lam Kam Chuen's "Way of Power" series is also very good.

http://www.da-cheng-chuan.org/
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:20 pm

Tu Ky Lam wrote an article or two on zhan zhuang that I found to be possibly the best that I've read. Otherwise there isn't any one book or video out there that really does justice to the practice. One can mimic the postures in a book or video just like a chimpanzee can mimic its visitors at the zoo. It doesn't mean that he'll get the desired benefits.

There are several different methods of standing that all provide different results. What are you looking to gain from standing?

Best bet is to find a teacher that's teaching what your'e looking for lest you waste your time watching a video or reading a book that can lead you the wrong way. Books and videos are created for the performer/ author to make money, not necessarily to pass on true teachings.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby chud on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:54 pm

jjy5016 wrote:Tu Ky Lam wrote an article or two on zhan zhuang that I found to be possibly the best that I've read.

Link?
chud
Great Old One

Postby neijin on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:54 am

May the Schwartz be with you!
neijin
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:33 am

neijin wrote:http://www.geocities.com/tukylam/index.html
:-)

Thanks to the link to those interesting articles. He seems to practice an interesting mix of Chen Tai Chi and Yi Quan.

Are you one of his students? I'd be interested to learn how he deals with the inherant conflict in the way to two arts move. For instance, in this article on Dan Tien rotation in Chen Tai Chi http://www.geocities.com/tukylam/dantian.html he mentions that in Chen Tai Chi the dantien initiates movements. But in this article about Yi Quan http://www.geocities.com/tukylam/hunyuanli.html he says that the head should initiate movement.

Is it a case of keeping the two arts separate, or does he mix the approaches? Has he found one way superior? I ask because he implies that Yi Quan has helped improve his Tai Chi.

I like his article on dan tien rotation b.t.w. particularly how he handles reverse breathing - it's one of the few articles I've read on the subject I agree with! ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby neijin on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:53 am

Hi GrahamB,
Unfortunately I'm not his student, as I live in Italy and him in New Zeland..
But both my Chen Tai Chi masters (George Xu and Flavio Daniele) both Tuky Lum learned from master Ma Hong.
Tuky is a very kind person and sometimes we exchanged emails.
I think that when you practise two arts it's difficult to keep them well separated because you develop your own way of movement and you have only one body!
Maybe he founds useful aspects in both arts.
Regarding which part of the body should initiate the movement I've heard two versions: 1) the dantien initiates the movement and 2) the feet start the movement and the dantien acts to transmit the force to the remaining parts of the body.
I tend to move according to the second method.
I'm sure that if you will try to contact master Tuky, maybe on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taichichen, he will be happy to reply.
Bye,
.-)
May the Schwartz be with you!
neijin
Santi

Postby GrahamB on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:25 am

Thanks - I'll try it. However, reading through his writing I'm becoming increasingly confused about what he means. The most recent article I read suggest that the hands move first. So now we have 4 different things moving first - the head, the dantien, the hands and the feet. ;D

"Two arts, but one body" - I like that. Can we really learn two different methods (even if we think we can?) Can a man really serve two masters? Ah, the questions that rattle through eternity.... ;D

G
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan