Liu Dong Han

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Liu Dong Han

Postby JAB on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Anyone have ANY information on the Yang Taiji instructor Liu Dong Han? I have no dates, nothing really other than he was a student of Chen Man Qing's. Alive in the early 1900's. Not alive today, but again have no dates. Any info would be appreciated, or even any pics.

Thanks
Jake
JAB

Re: Liu Dong Han

Postby lazyboxer on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:01 pm

JAB wrote:Anyone have ANY information on the Yang Taiji instructor Liu Dong Han? I have no dates, nothing really other than he was a student of Chen Man Qing's. Alive in the early 1900's. Not alive today, but again have no dates. Any info would be appreciated, or even any pics.

Thanks
Jake

I assume you're referring to Liu Donghan 刘东汉 (ca. 1875-1950) from Ren County, Hebei. His father Liu Yingzhou 刘瀛洲 (ca. 1851-1931) was a famous exponent of old Shaolin Sān Huáng Pào Chuí 三皇炮捶 (Three Emperor Cannon Punch), and friend of Yang Fenghou's son Zhenyuan, aka Zhaolin. (Fenghou, 1835-1861, was Yang Luchan's eldest son, and brother to Banhou and Jianhou.)

Donghan first learned boxing from Yang Zhenyuan, who became his uncle Banhou's student following Fenghou's premature death . His classmate Li Xiangyuan 李香遠 (aka Li Baoyu 李宝玉 1889-1961) was Dong Yingjie's first master - Yingjie, also from Ren County, was sponsored by Liu Yingzhou and later became famous as Yang Chengfu's best student.

Nothing, however afaik to do with Zheng Manqing,(1900-1975). It's more likely to have been the other way around - he may have taught Zheng something. As you know, there are no shortage of people claiming Zheng never studied with Chengfu.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by lazyboxer on Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Immensely! May I ask where you got this from? Any pics?
Thanks so much!
Jake
JAB

Postby lazyboxer on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:09 am

I'll pm you
Living well is the best revenge.
lazyboxer
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan