How has your training changed you?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How has your training changed you?

Postby AllanF on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:47 pm

training has become like a drug to me, in that if i don't do it i get tetchy and bad tempered. Mind you i was the same way when i played rugby if i didn't train or if i had a bad game i would be in a bad mood for a couple of days until i got back out there. So i guess IMA hasn't changed me, i was a moody git then and i am still a moody git! HAZAH!
AllanF

Postby CaliG on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:44 pm

I believe my training has made me a lot more practical about martial arts and life in general. I originally came from a very esoteric school that was very big on qigong, meditation, spiritual development and healing. At one point I was even standing for 4 hours straight a day. While I believe I gained something from that I also believe that these skills are different from the skills you want in combat. Yes a body is body so I do believe you gain from qigong and so forth, but I don't believe that qigong alone will make you a good martial artist unless you understand how to properly train.

My teacher in China turned me on to how to do that. I went from believing that doing the forms and qigong alone was enough to understanding these arts to realizing that back in the day the founders did a whole lot more to reach their level of skill. Now my training is much more well-rounded and not only am I healthier (not fat) and my body is in much better shape overall.

I find I'm much more practical about other things in life too. For example I used to over-analyze people and situations but now I just don't care. I think doing combat sports has that effect on you, you realize that you have your good days, you have your bad days and other people aren't any different.
Last edited by CaliG on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby johnwang on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:13 am

I felt very lazy yesterday. I looked at my KB and told myself that I would just do one set and that would be all. After I did 1 set of KB, my body told me that I could finish the rest and I did. I then did my Gon rotation, single head, tree kicking, tree hanging, double heads, ... and I finished my 2 hours of equipment training that I did not feel like to do when I started it. After the training, I felt I had more energy than when I started. That kind of "good feeling after training" give me motivation for my training through my life.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:09 am

..."That kind of "good feeling after training" give me motivation for my training..."

endorphine rusch rulez!
im with you John
-toast-

couple days ago i was in crowded tram,
during the ride i realized that i don`t touch anybody, :o
it was "automatic" reaction of my body
very stange experience, quite different than years ago when i would stay like tank and any comuter will be bounced off
now,
im melting and changing the schape
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan