Sparring Conditions and Equipment

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Sparring Conditions and Equipment

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 am

Hey guys, just a side note in regards to conditioning.

Take up running for your legs. It's a simple and easy way to condition the shit out of your legs in a relatively small time window.

run 3km on first day, take walks when you gas but pick it up right away. Run through the splints as best you can.
day 2, run 5k
day 3, run 5 k
day 4 run 3k
day 5 run 5k
day 6 run 7k
day 7, take a bath.

the bone density is increased from teh constant pounding and shock impact on the concrete or asphalt.
It is one of the fastest ways to set a foundation of conditioning for your legs.

It also is great cardio and a great way to burn fat.

yeh i agree with this. Have been doing a few miles recently (i am talking 6-10 miles a day) and in addition to the massive cardio gains, overall leg 'usefullnes' in terms of conditioning, strength, flexibily and power has improved greatly. Another BIG thing is the way it trains your mind. A By product i wasnt expecting!!! Also doing alot of miles with a heavy bag on up n down the Malvern hills. Very good hip and kwa training. :D

cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:51 am

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:Hey guys, just a side note in regards to conditioning.

Take up running for your legs. It's a simple and easy way to condition the shit out of your legs in a relatively small time window.

run 3km on first day, take walks when you gas but pick it up right away. Run through the splints as best you can.
day 2, run 5k
day 3, run 5 k
day 4 run 3k
day 5 run 5k
day 6 run 7k
day 7, take a bath. :)

the bone density is increased from teh constant pounding and shock impact on the concrete or asphalt.
It is one of the fastest ways to set a foundation of conditioning for your legs.

It also is great cardio and a great way to burn fat.

I know a girl who tried to run through her shin splints and ended up in physical therapy. When I first tried starting to run reutinely a few years ago I ran too hard and ended up not being able to run at all for almost a month without my calves being in horrible pain. That was from running a 1/2 mile and not even close to 3km. Your advice might be ok for someone who has ran in the past, and is not overweight, however for someone who never really ran before and who is overweight they will need to start off slow and gradually build up. I just started running regularly in the fall and when I did I could only go about 1/8 mile before my calves tightened up and hurt like hell. Then I would walk until they loosened up and then run some more. Now I am running a mile 3 times a week without any trouble and working on increasing my speed. I must say I am very glad I started running as it helps with all kinds of things and is a great workout.
mrtoes wrote:
Thanks for the tip Darth, it never occurred to me that running would help that. I'm not sure I'll take it up though - I used to run all the time back when I lived near cliffs and beaches but stopped when I got to the city as I don't really like running on tarmac. Doesn't it mash up your joints, or is that only if you do it wrong?

It makes sense that it toughens up the bone but I always thought thai boxers kicked down trees and suchlike :)

Running on concrete or asphalt can cause shin splints and joint problems. The bigger you are the worse these can be. If you weigh 140 lbs it might not be a big deal but if you weigh 200lbs it will be. Asphalt is softer than concrete but grass, dirt, or a good track are all better for your joints and preventing shin splints.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:54 am

Do you guys think that when you use more padding people are less careful? I like small gloves personally because you can still feel how you impact your target. Also I feel the large gloves (12oz 14oz) protect the hand and wrist too much so you get used to holding it in less than an ideal position.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:08 am

Yeh I do Deus ... I aint a fan of boxing gloves though they have their place. Generally when sparring I use MMA type gloves or thin gloves with cage face Head guard n thats it.

cheers
Chris
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:11 am

middleway wrote:Yeh I do Deus ... I aint a fan of boxing gloves though they have their place. Generally when sparring I use MMA type gloves or thin gloves with cage face Head guard n thats it.

cheers
Chris

I have never used a face cage before, how do you think that effects your placement of head shots? Wouldn't it make it difficult to make good chin contact with a cross or hook and wouldn't it make straight punches to the nose pretty hard to do right?

DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby middleway on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:21 am

only if you aim at the head guard and not the face. If you target the face underneath its not a problem IMO.

Cheers
Chris
Me

middleway
Wuji

Postby qiphlow on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:39 am

DeusTrismegistus wrote:
I have never used a face cage before, how do you think that effects your placement of head shots? Wouldn't it make it difficult to make good chin contact with a cross or hook and wouldn't it make straight punches to the nose pretty hard to do right?

having been on the receiving end of a few shots while wearing a face cage, i'd have to say that no, it's not that difficult to do. i'm not sure if the puncher had perfect technique or not, but i know that i had to stop for a second after...
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Father_Jon on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:28 pm

For weapons, Lacrosse helmet (should really get one with a throat guard, though) and gloves (which i should upgrade to gauntlets.

For empty hand, medium to light contact: no gear. I've found it better to learn where my holes are and plug them. Too many people swing for the grandstand when they put on a pair of gloves. I've busted my thumbs when mis-timing a block or a strike, something I may have missed if I had on padded gear

On a related note, my weapons work setpped up when I finally put on a bucket and got smacked in the hear 5 consecutive passes (I'll see if I can find video of that, its funny) Having to defend the actual attack rather than the intended attack made a big difference to my game Perhaps I'll have to stp it up in my empty hand work as well
Father_Jon
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan