What will be your response?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

What will be your response?

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 pm

A: I'm going to compete in tournament in 6 months. Any suggestion that I should do?
B: You can try this and that, ...
A: That's BS, Please identify yourself. What's your style, How long have you trained, ...
B: ...

Very often we feel that in our lifetime we may use our "hot face" to touch someone's "cold ass" (famous Chinese term). What will be your next response if you were B? Will you argue against someone if you just want to "help" him to start with?

Option 1: I'm XYZ and I have trained style X for Y years. It's not BS IMO because ... :-\ :-\ :-\
Option 2: Take or leave it, you asshole. >:( >:( >:(
Option 3: Silence ...... :-X :-X :-X
Option 4: ?
Last edited by johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: What will be your response?

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:11 pm

Option 4 is pretty obvious: punch face kick nuts.

Option 5: break open head and eat brains. ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:25 pm

I vote for options 2, 4, and 5. I would likely do all three, in that order.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:27 pm

mmmm... brainz.... ;D
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby qiphlow on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:33 pm

use hot face to touch cold ass: best translation from chinese ever.

as to what i would do, i'd state that i was simply offering advice and that person A could do whatever he wants with that advice. no need to get angry.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm

...yeah...all depends, I think.

If the person asking seems like a reasonably good guy/girl who really just honestly wants to know, fine, then you can put more time and energy into it. I find it´s often good to remember how little you knew yourself when you started out, and what kind of help and patience you would have wished for back then.

I have put huge amounts of time into articles, website, interviews, lectures etc. simply to invest in raising the quality of the stuff here in the West. That´s a specific intention, and one that has forced me to use much much more patience and energy than I would have preferred myself. But if you don´t do something about the situation, you lose your right to complain. :)

So, yeah. Depends. Like the Daodejing says, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can´t make it think." ;)

And for those bad days when you feel you have spent all the time and energy you´d like and then some, there´s always option 6: Gladly let Fools Suffer.

D.

Sarcasm. Oh yeah, like that´ll work.
Daniel
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:20 pm

johnwang wrote:A: I'm going to compete in tournament in 6 months. Any suggestion that I should do?
B: You can try this and that, ...
A: That's BS, Please identify yourself. What's your style, How long have you trained, ...
B: ...

Very often we feel that in our lifetime we may use our "hot face" to touch someone's "cold ass" (famous Chinese term). What will be your next response if you were B? Will you argue against someone if you just want to "help" him to start with?

Option 1: I'm XYZ and I have trained style X for Y years. It's not BS IMO because ... :-\ :-\ :-\
Option 2: Take or leave it, you asshole. >:( >:( >:(
Option 3: Silence ...... :-X :-X :-X
Option 4: ?

I vote for Option Four. "Here are three tricks I know very well. (Demonstrate.) Want to see any of that again?" If not, okay. Nobody appointed me the universe's expert (and no one sensible ever would). You can say where you learned this or that, but you can do that in just a few words, while you are demonstrating. "This one is from Wankage-ryu, I learned it from the nephew of the great-grandson of the art's founder's maternal aunt." Show is more important than tell. That's the heart of Option Four.

The only time anything like this this ever happened to me, the timescale was two weeks, not six months. A neighbor entered himself in a MMA event and then asked me what I thought. I wished him the best of luck! That's all. (When you get to the race you run what you brung. Western proverb.) So I didn't need options 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Last edited by klonk on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Ba-men on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Ok I’ll give you what u want.

First of all I’m a lineage holder of Zhen Weiming style of YCF Taijiquan under Jian Rea Kong … well verse in also in Orthodox Hubei Xingyiquan. I’ve also studied under the well known Han Hoon Wong, a disciple of the famous Yang Zhen Duo. and I ‘ve studied western heavy sword fighting under the esteem Matt Mueller (probably the best heavy weapons fighter in North America) I am also a 1st Dan in Kodokan judo.

John ...I've noted in my time here that 99% of the people here are blowing smoke up everyone ass. If u are really preparing for a tournament then u should address the obvious..... take downs.... and the tempo of the fight.

Be prepared for the novice to take it the mat and be prepared for the adept to keep it standing (to administer a quick TKO). Look for the mastery of tempo to gaining the advantage in both scenarios.
Ba-men
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:38 pm

It's #3 for me...
If he's asking for my help but doesn't like the answer, I simply have nothing else to say to him.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:06 pm

I was presuming that the question was asked face to face. If you are talking about telecommunications, that is a different matter. I don't give advice over the internet, and I suggest you do the same!
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:05 pm

All those options are good solution. This is why people say that the older you get, the more you will like your dog. In the human and dog relationship, everything is so simple.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby Kelley Graham on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:00 pm

haha!

great scenario... i like to look at it like this.

Supplicant asks - 'hey, i need a little help with something'
Nice guy responds - 'Sure, i'd love to help'
Nice Guy Helps...
Supplicant responds - 'Fuck you for helping'
Nice guy can only respond with silence.

why waste more irreplaceable time?

best regards,
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby Ian on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:21 pm

If people say what I practice is bullshit, I just agree with them.

Why does anyone want to promote their style anyway? There are all sorts of downsides to doing this.

Standing up for your "family" is a fool's pastime.
Ian

Postby Muad'dib on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:53 am

I do not discuss things.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:18 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:I do not discuss things.

;D
Dmitri
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan