Now that you moved on...

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Now that you moved on...

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu May 07, 2009 8:25 am

I am curious as to those who have already left their first CMA teacher and moved on..

1. do you still have a good relationship with your first instructor/sifu or were they mad you moved on?

2. do you feel like you evolved more that you left your first teacher and studied with someone else?

My first teacher was American, he wasn't to happy I left at first. He was great and I come full circle with his info alot. We are still good friends, but i had found a Chinese teacher through a Chinese assistant professor and learned a great deal more. I went to China a few times since the Chinese teacher was a disciple of Grandmaster Fu Zhong Wen. That teacher eventually moved to NY and I learned more from other Chinese and American teachers. After the first few UFC's i had changed to more MMA type of training. I am so glad where I am at today with having learned the best of traditional and modern training and meeting many teachers along the way. I feel like if I stayed with the "traditional way" of one teacher only, i wouldnt be where I am today. I feel somewhat sorry for those who stick to one teacher as well.
Last edited by neijia_boxer on Thu May 07, 2009 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
neijia_boxer

Re: Now that you moved on...

Postby David Boxen on Thu May 07, 2009 8:44 am

1. No relationship anymore with my first CMA teacher, but there was no anger when I moved on. Just no reason to keep in contact.

2. Yes, I think I evolved even before leaving my first teacher, or else I would have stuck around.
We are not stuff that abides, but patterns that perpetuate themselves. - Norbert Wiener
David Boxen
Huajing

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 07, 2009 9:03 am

- I still have a good relationship with my first teacher, although I don't see him very often. At first, when I started training XY and I went there to show it to him, he wasn't impressed. I remember he said that it looked good for "keeping someone at bay with soft punches". That remark made me a bit angry. So after a few minutes of smiles and nice words I asked to try the XY with his students. I slapped them silly.

But after a while we used to sit and share and everything got well. I had the chance to try my XY with his students, and they used to come home to train with my old CLF students. So it was good for all.

- Did I evolve?. Definitely. I think I got 10 times better. Probably 10 times better than how I am now. I have gone soft. Ask Jose. I should start Taiji to 'embrace the softness'.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby xingyijuan on Thu May 07, 2009 9:08 am

1. do you still have a good relationship with your first instructor/sifu or were they mad you moved on?

2. do you feel like you evolved more that you left your first teacher and studied with someone else?

1. No. I've never been so repulsed by a human being as much as this guy. He sexually molested and aggressed some of the adult female students and lied constantly to everybody else.

2. Absolutely. My first teacher only understood what he could apply in combat. He's 6 ft tall and weight about 200-220 lbs and has dominance over his students because of his physique. He never understood what his own teacher taught him, even if it's a shitty McDojo style. My current teacher has a better understanding, or at least a better view, of combat and the nuances to be applied for different kind of body types. Plus, he has a strong lineage.

For the record, unfortunately, my first teacher was never brought to a criminal court because the procurator felt the cases presented weren't solid enough. He's one slippery S.O.B.
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 07, 2009 9:25 am

xingyijuan wrote:2. Absolutely. My first teacher only understood what he could apply in combat. He's 6 ft tall and weight about 200-220 lbs and has dominance over his students because of his physique. He never understood what his own teacher taught him, even if it's a shitty McDojo style.

That's very common. And really a sad thing for the students that think they're getting a deep instruction.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby qiphlow on Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 am

no bad blood, i just was becoming less and less satisfied with my time at the school. i still send the happy_______ emails at those times of year.

as far as evolving, yes and no. i'd say rather that my focus has changed over the years more than anything else.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu May 07, 2009 9:54 am

xingyijuan wrote:

1. No. I've never been so repulsed by a human being as much as this guy. He sexually molested and aggressed some of the adult female students and lied constantly to everybody else.

2. Absolutely. My first teacher only understood what he could apply in combat. He's 6 ft tall and weight about 200-220 lbs and has dominance over his students because of his physique. He never understood what his own teacher taught him, even if it's a shitty McDojo style. My current teacher has a better understanding, or at least a better view, of combat and the nuances to be applied for different kind of body types. Plus, he has a strong lineage.

For the record, unfortunately, my first teacher was never brought to a criminal court because the procurator felt the cases presented weren't solid enough. He's one slippery S.O.B.

i had one of those once, i left the school after 9 months since he was married and was having sexual relationships with several of the female students. He never taught the class and never really showed up when he said he would. the guys was a jerk and got sued often. Another teacher I had i later found out was having a relationship with a female student and her mom. :o
neijia_boxer

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 07, 2009 10:11 am

It's funny, in a way I feel that I've come full-circle as well. When I first started training with my Sifu I was much younger, and had a lot of doubts about the stuff I was learning (this will never work, it's all shit, etc). So I did the prodigal bastard son thing and left for many years, experimenting and dabbling with lots of different disciplines attempting to find some kind of magic formula. As a result I learned lots of things superficially, but hadn't a clue how to tie it all together into something personal and functional. After finally coming to the liberating realization that I don't know jack, I have actually reverted back to doing EXACTLY what I was taught, how I was taught to do it, except with new depths and insights that I didn't have before. It's like everything old is new again. :)

To answer your first question, most definitely. I really miss my SIfu and would love to visit him again someday.
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby Juan on Thu May 07, 2009 10:45 am

bigphatwong wrote:It's funny, in a way I feel that I've come full-circle as well. When I first started training with my Sifu I was much younger, and had a lot of doubts about the stuff I was learning (this will never work, it's all shit, etc). So I did the prodigal bastard son thing and left for many years, experimenting and dabbling with lots of different disciplines attempting to find some kind of magic formula. As a result I learned lots of things superficially, but hadn't a clue how to tie it all together into something personal and functional. After finally coming to the liberating realization that I don't know jack, I have actually reverted back to doing EXACTLY what I was taught, how I was taught to do it, except with new depths and insights that I didn't have before. It's like everything old is new again. :)

To answer your first question, most definitely. I really miss my SIfu and would love to visit him again someday.

It's funny because you and I had the same teacher but I feel very differently. I am very glad I left. There was no bad blood when I left, he probably didn't even think he notice I was not there anymore. But I feel that I have grown tons since I left and probably wouldn't even be close to the level I am right now had I stayed. Not that I am at a particularly high level but feel pretty good about my skills. The only thing that I continue to practice from him is the chi kung and perhaps a few applications I thought might be useful. Everything else I've pretty much thrown out the window.

I still keep in touch with my first MA teacher which was Mestre Amen of Capoeira Batuque. He is a really great guy and I try to visit his school at least once a year.

BTW this month marks my 4th year anniversary of studying Taiji. And it's pretty much thanks to this board that I discovered it. Still, I could have been a Pakua International Grandmaster by now.
Juan
Great Old One

Postby bigphatwong on Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 am

Juan wrote:
It's funny because you and I had the same teacher but I feel very differently. I am very glad I left. There was no bad blood when I left, he probably didn't even think he notice I was not there anymore. But I feel that I have grown tons since I left and probably wouldn't even be close to the level I am right now had I stayed. Not that I am at a particularly high level but feel pretty good about my skills. The only thing that I continue to practice from him is the chi kung and perhaps a few applications I thought might be useful. Everything else I've pretty much thrown out the window.

Yeah, I pretty much had to go outside the box to get what I was looking for too, but once I did it made a hell of a lot more sense. Different strokes, eh? :)

BTW this month marks my 4th year anniversary of studying Taiji. And it's pretty much thanks to this board that I discovered it. Still, I could have been a Pakua International Grandmaster by now.

You're welcome. 8-)
NOBODY gets near Yung when Tanaka's around. That's for shit sure.
bigphatwong
Great Old One

Postby bruce on Thu May 07, 2009 12:28 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:I am curious as to those who have already left their first CMA teacher and moved on..

neijia_boxer wrote:1. do you still have a good relationship with your first instructor/sifu or were they mad you moved on?

i left over a year ago and still have a good relationship with my teachers. i would not say they were happy that i moved on but "mad" no. i think they also knew it was time for me to move on

neijia_boxer wrote:2. do you feel like you evolved more that you left your first teacher and studied with someone else?

yes i have continued to evolve over the years and am always leaning. the new things i have learned have expanded on the old things i was shown.

neijia_boxer wrote: I am so glad where I am at today with having learned the best of traditional and modern training and meeting many teachers along the way. I feel like if I stayed with the "traditional way" of one teacher only, i wouldnt be where I am today. I feel somewhat sorry for those who stick to one teacher as well.

i would think a person with only one teacher and few training partners will be limited in their potential.
bruce
Great Old One

Postby johnwang on Thu May 07, 2009 12:51 pm

neijia_boxer wrote:1. do you still have a good relationship with your first instructor/sifu or were they mad you moved on?

One of my students was cut badly in a knife fight (his opponent had knife but he didn't), after that day he gave up his SC training and switch to "iron vest" training instead. His new teacher told him that "iron vest" skill can prevent him from been cut. My student didn't want to see me and I didn't want to see him after that departure. It's 2 ways street when that happen.
Last edited by johnwang on Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby BonesCom on Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Unfortunately it took me three years to realise my first teacher was claiming to be able to teach things he wasn't qualified to. This became apparent when after a few years I was able to hold some of the static posture longer and deeper than him, to me this singled that he did not practice/had not practiced the things he was teaching. It turns out his training involved going to China, meeting a teacher, spending a few hours with him, taking a few photos and voila! he teaches. Luckily sort of through this teacher I met my current trainer, and he fucken rocks!
BonesCom
Huajing

Postby Fubo on Thu May 07, 2009 6:49 pm

johnwang wrote:

One of my students was cut badly in a knife fight (his opponent had knife but he didn't), after that day he gave up his SC training and switch to "iron vest" training instead. His new teacher told him that "iron vest" skill can prevent him from been cut. My student didn't want to see me and I didn't want to see him after that departure. It's 2 ways street when that happen.

I don't see how he could blame you for that. Even people who have trained extensively in knife fighting arts can get cut. Just because I'm good at running and fit doesn't mean I'm good at long jump. Sounds like he was mad and just wanted someone to blame other than the situation or himself. And learning Iron Vest for knife defense? Dear good! :-\
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Chris Fleming on Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm

I moved to another city but am always welcome to drop in for a lesson like always whenever I am in town.
Chris Fleming

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan