Training blade sensitivity

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Training blade sensitivity

Postby jaime_g on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:30 am

Last edited by jaime_g on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Re: Training blade sensitivity

Postby Doc Stier on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:03 am

This thread topic raises the obvious question as to whether it is realistically possible for a swordsman to sensitively react and respond in real combat to what he feels his opponent doing with speed and power through his sword blade, and feels intuitively, or whether it is only possible for him to react and respond solely to what he sees his opponent doing?

Doc Stier
Last edited by Doc Stier on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"First in the Mind and then in the Body."
Doc Stier
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 am

I think the whole topic is about long ward

Many interesting comments (from german fencing)

“So, you fight long against someone, and you come to him at the length of the sword, so both of you are hand-to-hand. Then, you should stretch your arms and your sword far from you, and put yourself into a low body position, so that you have a good reach and extension with your sword, and so that you may attack and defend yourself against all that is necessary. The reach is your stand behind your sword and lean yourself; the distance is that you stand low, as shown here, and make yourself small in your body so that you are great in your sword.” (fol. 3r, G. Zabinski)

Joachim Meyer

"When you come to him with pre-fencing then set your left foot forward and hold the long point into his face, if he strikes from above down onto or from below onto your sword and will smite it away or bind strong on it, then let your point sink below it and stab to the other side. This drives against all strikes where your opponent strikes to the sword."

"You have heard before that when you are before the man with the sword, you should place yourself in the four guards from which you shall fence, so now you shall also know that the window breaker is also a guard with which you can stand securely, and this guard is the long point, the noblest and best sword ward out from which you can fence"

Peter Von Danzig
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:32 pm

Doc Stier wrote:This thread topic raises the obvious question as to whether it is realistically possible for a swordsman to sensitively react and respond in real combat to what he feels his opponent doing with speed and power through his sword blade, and feels intuitively, or whether it is only possible for him to react and respond solely to what he sees his opponent doing?

The fencing term "sentiment du fer" or feel of the steel is more or less analogous to tinjin, in that you use them the same way. Neither, I would say, is a substitute for watching what the foe is doing, but monitoring by feel is an extra tool that, if you have learned to use it, gives you some additional advantage.

I don't know much about the Spanish school; I think the word Carranza uses for this is tacto, but I could be mistaken.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:38 pm

jaime_g wrote:I think the whole topic is about long ward

Something curious about the long ward, when fighting this way it should be in your mind that there is a mechanical advantage in engaging the forward part of his blade with the rearward part of yours. In effect, he is holding then a long lever and you are holding a short lever.

That advantage in engagement is not always practical to achieve, but you want it when you can get it, in my humble opinion anyway.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Dr.Rob on Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Nice example of dueling skills..I have watched a lot of the "Med-Evil" reinventions of fencing. Since I was young I marvelled at the complexities of Spanish foot work....

I found E Oakenshott's work brilliant and have returned to text's like the Secret History of the Sword by Amberger and The Book of the Sword by Burton. I think its what lead to take fencing in university and Iaido now...

But believe you me these guys got it right....
Having nothing to lose is the new wealth.

Profitez de la guerre mes enfants, la paix sera terrible.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Dr.Rob
Great Old One

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan