XY Apps. From a XY book

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: XY Apps. From a XY book

Postby nianfong on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 am

nice apps.
1) this is like a big version of taiji's single whip, which is one of my favorite taiji techniques to use while sparring. My concern with this one would be exposing my right side to attack while entering. since I'm blocking with my right arm, the opponent's left arm can knock me pretty good. you'd have to make sure you grabbed and pulled the opponent's right arm strong enough to pull his balance/weight towards you.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Pandrews1982 on Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:27 am

They all seem to be good bread and butter applications, standard stuff that is not too involved and works well in general situations. I use the second one and third one sometimes in five elements practice.

The first is similar to an eagle application we use though the use iof the word "Block" doesn't sit well with me, I don't think Xing Yi should use any "blocks" the application says "strike" which is fine by me, but block implies just putting something in the way to stop the attack, what if this doesn't work? A strike is fine because you put force on the incoming strike in a different direction which in meant to displace and hurt the attacker. Just one of my pet peeves, either get out of the way or do something which puts you in control don't just "block".

BTW for a lead arm jab try some tiger on that, just swat the arm as it jabs, wont want to jab for long.

The Dragon and Tiger Meet, I believe uis what my school calls "Dragon and Tiger combined". The applicaiton of "tiger" is in the grasping/grabbing/holding of the opponent and the dragon is the traditional dragon cross step movement except int he variation shown above the kick is higher (groin) than the way we do this.

The way i know best is to drill a low tsuan kick into the guy's shin (though a kick in the nads would be good too :) ) at the same time as opening horizontally with Pi jin (horizontal not down) splitting through the guy's neck or into the face (bridge of nose or eyesockets are nice but neck is better). You use the dragon body rotation and cross step along with your non-striking hand to fold around any attack he may have thrown in. At this point the position is virtually the same as the illustration except instead fo controlling the arms we've just smashed the guy in the face.

The guy is now destabilised (because you've clocked him in the face/neck and kicked him real hard in shin) and your hand and leg pass his body. Once the arm is over the shouders/head and your leg behind his leg you sink straight down arms in place taking the already off balance mark to the ground. essentially the strike takes him back, your leg stops him regaining his feet and you add some downwards push to put him directly on the floor in front of you. This would be Dragon xing, the next part is the tiger.

As the guy starts to fall you grasp him by the collar/hair/neck and by the groin, as if you were trying to stop him falling (but have chosen really painful spots to grab), don't stop him falling just hold on for the ride and let the guy fall, as soon as he hits the ground twist with your body and wrists at the same time pulling him back up from the floor and slamming him again while also ripping his nads off. If you've done this correct you may have his leg trapping under you crossed lead leg at the knee too. He's on the floor, been hit in the face and shin, had his head slammed into the pavement twice and his nads are virtually torn off and you've got his leg trapped just on the off chance he's as hard as coffin nails which should allow you to kick through with the back foot straight into his groin again (think taking a soccer penalty kick right into his nether regions) without his leg able to defend, you've also got the choice of going to ground on him at this point too if you really want to roll around.
Pandrews1982
Great Old One

Postby Felipe Bidó on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Pandrews1982 wrote:The first is similar to an eagle application we use though the use iof the word "Block" doesn't sit well with me, I don't think Xing Yi should use any "blocks" the application says "strike" which is fine by me, but block implies just putting something in the way to stop the attack, what if this doesn't work? A strike is fine because you put force on the incoming strike in a different direction which in meant to displace and hurt the attacker. Just one of my pet peeves, either get out of the way or do something which puts you in control don't just "block".

True, true. But if you are a XY player with a bit of experience, you should know that already, so that's why we leave those types of explanations out. It's common sense among XY people. 8-) ...if there's a beginner reading this, his teacher will explain it to him shortly.

More apps when I get back home and have time after the weekend.
Last edited by Felipe Bidó on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Dillon on Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks, Felipe. These are neat.
Dillon
Santi

Postby MAFAN on Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:34 am

Felipe,
Thanks very much for posting these here.
I am interested in liuhe quan these days, and all things xin yi related are appreciated- wish I could return the favour!
thanks again.
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
MAFAN
Santi

Postby Martin on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:07 am

Nothing returns a favour like:

Well, almost nothing... :)
Last edited by Martin on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Great Old One

Postby Syd on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:34 am

nianfong wrote:nice apps.
1) this is like a big version of taiji's single whip, which is one of my favorite taiji techniques to use while sparring. My concern with this one would be exposing my right side to attack while entering. since I'm blocking with my right arm, the opponent's left arm can knock me pretty good. you'd have to make sure you grabbed and pulled the opponent's right arm strong enough to pull his balance/weight towards you.

Interesting observation ... I immediately saw a Taiji application in the first image also but not SIngle Whip; what I was seeing was the beginning movement of "Step up, parry and punch" with the downward hammer fist to the forearm; you would ofcourse carrying on straight through with the cross step to the attackers right so you are then driving through with a left palm strike to chest or face with your left hand and then finishing with a punch to the chest or face with the right. It's very interesting to examine the sister arts in the Internal schools for this very reason.

Here is what I was seeing ...

Last edited by Syd on Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Syd
Santi

Postby MAFAN on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:02 am

Martin wrote:Nothing returns a favour like:

Well, almost nothing... :)

AHHA, well said, makes me want to do favours already!!
Born from an egg on a mountain top.
MAFAN
Santi

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 am

More:

Bear Turns Its Shoulder

Cover the hand and Pound: I think this one would go better with an uppercut. The figure shows the fist going a bit higher than the version i know. After your hands pull down, the right hand goes up similar to a hook and hits the face.

Eagle Xing Attack:

“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 am

With 'Bear turns it's shoulder' what happens to the opponent's right arm?
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:27 am

Pound the Heart with the Fist: works in unison tih the supporting of the back

Yellow Eagle Grasping. We saw this one applied in that video of the Cop and the drunk in Las Vegas, as some of you may remember

Snake enters the cave: This one shows one of the reasons why I love traditional terms. Old terms, with their symbols, are packed with info. The 'cave' is usually any hollow point of the body (under the arm, throat, like "Black Tiger/ Black Bear Leaving the Cave", and the 'Snake' part is used to explain that the arm will travel following the arm of the opponent, to slide inside an opening.

Later, I'll post apps from the Che Style books. Remember that you can get these books contacting Jarek.
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Felipe Bidó on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:30 am

dragontigerpalm wrote:With 'Bear turns it's shoulder' what happens to the opponent's right arm?

You are grasping it between the shoulder and elbow with the left arm. Your elbow travels above it. I think they should have included a bit of the arm in the drawing.
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby dragontigerpalm on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 am

Thanks.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan