List of people who can teach IT to aikidoka

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: List of people who can teach IT to aikidoka

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am

dps wrote:Should I put Shawn and Mix on the list. Which one is the sifu?
David

Both of them are masters in their own right. And I've heard both have an impressive fascia development around the dantian area. Shawn is a little bit more open though, in a three-dimensional way of course ...

I wouldn't hesitate to put both of them on your list.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 am

klonk wrote:I find myself wondering what "walrus" would look like, if it were a xingyi animal.

;D
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 am

Good points Tom
To be clear, my training history includes from start to finish; Karate, Judo, Wrestling, Aikido, Daito ryu and two Koryu, but only the last three had elements of internals. Ark has ICMA, Daito ryu and Koryu. Aikido has nothing internal in it that I have ever seen or felt to any substantial degree, and I have played with some of their top men. It's just jujutsu, if there's IP/aiki in aikido- I have yet to feel it or see it to any degree from anyone.
My main point though in posting is that IP fits into anything. I play aikido, push hands, DR, Judo and MMA, with equal success. Andy just called me from my comments on the "Who has IT and who can teach it" thread on Aikidweb to tell me how he made out at yet another MMA school-he went through everyone there. We actually fight with it, real and whole.
IMO, the only people who denigrate and talk smack about internal power being a usable skill, or limit its potential in use are those who don't have IP or understand its fullness in the first place. It's been my argument here all along to folks who scoff at fighting with IP or IP having any measurable additive to your game. Its pure Bull shit and it's sad to see people in the ICMA caving-in to the argument against the finest aspect of their arts.
Anyway, provided there is a transmission model to teach IP outside of it being "attached" to an Chinese system (that is one of the defining differeences with me , Mike, Ark, and I think Sam as well) then the truth of IP is that it can be used in anything.
Cheers
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby dps on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:25 am

Bodywork wrote:My main point though in posting is that IP fits into anything.

(snip)

Anyway, provided there is a transmission model to teach IP outside of it being "attached" to an Chinese system (that is one of the defining differeences with me , Mike, Ark, and I think Sam as well) then the truth of IP is that it can be used in anything.
Cheers
Dan

If internal power fits into anything then anybody with the skills to teach it can teach it to anyone willing to learn regardless of prior martial training on the teacher's or student's part. It does not have to be outside a Chinese system. While it maybe easier to receive training from someone with experience in your art, there is some good in stepping away from your art to learn and coming back to it later.

David
dps
Santi

Postby Upyu on Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Bodywork wrote: Ark has ICMA, Daito ryu and Koryu.

Probably hasn't been mentioned extensively, but Ark was trained intensively by a close combatives JSDF (Japanese Self Defense Force) instructor (who had I guess what you could call "linear" IP, that is to say, no winding. His Koryu teacher had a more complete set of IP) as well, which included everything from "dirty"/practical Judo, "street" fighting, etc. You'd probably like him ;D ...though by all accounts he was, and is still a D#"$.
Upyu
Anjing

Postby klonk on Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:23 pm

cdobe wrote:
klonk wrote:I find myself wondering what "walrus" would look like, if it were a xingyi animal.

;D

Ha ha! Okay...

(That was bad. Thank you!)
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Upyu wrote:
Bodywork wrote: Ark has ICMA, Daito ryu and Koryu.

Probably hasn't been mentioned extensively, but Ark was trained intensively by a close combatives JSDF (Japanese Self Defense Force) instructor (who had I guess what you could call "linear" IP, that is to say, no winding. His Koryu teacher had a more complete set of IP) as well, which included everything from "dirty"/practical Judo, "street" fighting, etc. You'd probably like him ;D ...though by all accounts he was, and is still a D#"$.

Hi Bud
I bet I would.
Dan
Last edited by Bodywork on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bodywork

Postby klonk on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:36 pm

I just thought of something. You see much less articulation of the waist, in old videos of Ueshiba, than you typically see in Chinese internal experts. For an example you need look no farther than the Wang Shu Jin video helpfully posted by "cdobe," above, and there are many more examples.

Are y'all sure CMA has what you're after?
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Muad'dib on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Articulation of the waist. Large circles, small circles. Just because you don't see it does not mean it is not there. Watch some of the Ueshiba vids more closely.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby ashe on Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:37 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:Articulation of the waist. Large circles, small circles. Just because you don't see it does not mean it is not there. Watch some of the Ueshiba vids more closely.

i would have to agree. as your progress your movements become smaller and more compact, so less obvious.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:50 am

I would bet that Su Dong Chen and Tim Cartmell could teach IT to aikidoka. esp su dong chen, who probably already has.
Last edited by nianfong on Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:15 am

BTW, as I understand it, one of the head instructors for systema in Tokyo is a san dan in Aikido.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Bodywork on Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 am

If you understand internals you understand the universal application of them. Individual use of IP/IS in technique and application is a choice.
I go from teaching internals to Aikido teachers, to Daito ryu, to taiji to MMAers...on a daily basis. Not one of which has a problem with that.
Dan
Bodywork

Postby klonk on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Okey-doke. But it looks very much to me like aikido wants to move the feet, where ICMA would use the waist to adjust the ground path. This could, I suppose, be a style variation rather than a matter of substance. ???
klonk
Great Old One

Postby MartialDev on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:37 pm

This is not a troll...

Any Aikidoka who finds themselves trying to use "internal strength" has already failed. The best they can hope for, at that point, is to be a successful failure. Which is practical, sure...but what business does pragmatism have with Aikido (the purest idealism in the martial arts world)?

Again, this is not a troll... ;D
Last edited by MartialDev on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MartialDev
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan