Zhaobao Taijiquan - does anyone practice?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Zhaobao Taijiquan - does anyone practice?

Postby Syd on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:24 am

I have recently become interested in learning Zhaobao Taijiquan, I won't bore with too many details but I read a very interesting article in Tai Chi magazine a few years back that piqued my interest. There was some suggestion of there being a link to Yang Lu Chan with Zhaobao because this style also emphasizes point striking etc ... the faint suggestion was that Zhaobao may have been an influential factor in the invention of Yang Style rather than Chen and there was further discussion of the Taoist origins of Zhaobao but personally I think the origins are more likely Military.

In any case I have seen a little of Zhaobao here and there and I liked what I saw a great deal so would be very interested to hear from anybody with experience in it's techniques, practice and application.
Syd
Santi

Re: Zhaobao Taijiquan - does anyone practice?

Postby JAB on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Tim Cartmell does it. Nice stuff. But as always I believe the difference lies in the teacher, not the art.
Cheers
Jake -rock-
JAB

Postby Syd on Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:41 pm

Jake,

Yeah mate, I've actually read a bit about Tim doing Zhaobao ... there is a story at his forums about his student defending himself against a road rage incident using a Zhaobao whip back fist technique that broke the guys jaw and patella from one hit and subsequently knocking the guy out ... he hit his head on the deck after sinking to his knees and falling flat on his face and got concussion as well. I think a back fist from any art would produce the same results but it was a nice story with Taiji being used for self defense.

I agree about the teacher not the art 100% ... I'm looking for information though as the art interests me for various reasons.

Cheers.
Syd
Santi

Postby shenme on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:59 pm

Use to be someone on the original EF Zhaobao3in1 but I do not think he is on this version of EF

I believe he was on EF part 2 but I do not think he came here..yet
Last edited by shenme on Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.

蒂姆
shenme
Mingjing

Postby Syd on Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:21 pm

Great stuff Tom, thankyou!
Syd
Santi

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan