stories about training in public

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: stories about training in public

Postby kenneth fish on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:00 am

ededed: yes, there is some similarity in the footwork and the striking movements - but the Chinese short stick sets that I have learned are more direct and less flowery than the Phillipine sets that I have seen or learned
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:49 pm

There is nothing less flowery than Ilustrisimo kali
The reason a lot of FMA is not practiced in public at least until recent times
Is due tithe fact that how you carried a stick could invite a serious challenge
Let alone what you showed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:18 pm

Yeah - the Phillipine stick sets always make me think "rat-tat-tat-tat!" Quite flashy and distinctive displays, to my uneducated eyes!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:07 pm

One of the few places I know where a number of practicioners have been tested in real bladed combat
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby tastydurian on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:25 pm

I had gone a few years without encountering too many idiots, but a few weeks ago I was practicing some bagua forms in the park when some dude driving by started yelling "I'll beat your ass! That ain't shit! I'll beat your ass!"
tastydurian
Anjing

Postby Zonker on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:08 pm

edededed wrote:Hey Ken - that story is very interesting from many angles :D It's good that the Phillipine embassy guy seemed to have an interest/knowledge about Phillipine martial arts, at least.

If Dr. Fish was training in Queens County, NY, then it makes sense. Leo Gaje was teaching escrima/kali on the roof of the Phillipino Embassy/Consulate in NYC in those days and the entire consulate staff knew about it.
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby Bhassler on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:30 pm

I once started singing in my house and the dog ran over to check on me, presumably because it sounded like I was dying (horribly). I assume if I were to practice in public it would be much the same, with paramedics arriving shortly to treat me for epilepsy and/or administer Thorazine as necessary.
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:12 pm

Yeah - 79th Avenue and 150th street in Queens.

Later, when I moved to Toronto I wound up teaching a "name" escrima teacher - it was a surreal - I had expected his stick work to be both more direct and more sophisticated, but it was very rote and mechanical (no, I am not saying that he was representative of escrima - I was just a bit surprised given his reputation). He was very interested in the short stick work and power generation from CMA. I think he had been exposed to some White Crane or Ng Cho in the Phillipines.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:18 pm

wiesiek wrote:today I was training late on the meddle of main field football stadium , /I train on the side field, usually/. During ending breathing/standing part, when became completely dark ,I was suddenly spot lighted from the sides - and two guys with the badges jump in from the shadow /not suddenly I sensed them :), long before/:

- Good evening , Police
- .... Yes ?
- What are you doing?
- ... Standing
- Why?
- Is it forbidden to stand here?
- No, but you looks like manikin, and we was curious what`s goin`on /lies, they was looking more than 30 minutes, and I did the sword form just before the standing :D /
- aaa, ok, I`m the retried MA instructor /sword was lying on the bag between us 8-) /
- o, maybe you can teach us something
- I`m sorry , I quit teaching 20 years ago...
- ah,... what is in the bag ? do you have something dangerous?
- NO, just the sword .... ;D
- ok, thank you, good night!

-rock- -lol-
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Ozguorui on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:32 am

All right, thanks for letting me in the group....first post then.

(1) Training in a park in Roppongi in Tokyo, early morning. Me and another guy doing some pad work. Suddenly we notice 2 Japanese cops looking at us. They come over.....then they say (In English) "very good, but should use elbow!"

(2) I live in Shanghai in a kind of expat ghetto place....practiced there in the grounds for 5 years, including occasionally with my teacher who is a disciple of Sha Junjie, a multiple gold medal winner in Chinese competitions and generally a guy who if you know anything, will make you stop and admire the way he moves....in that 5 years, only had 2 foreigners stop and say anything - one woman said "you look very good". one American fellow said "kung fu hey, I used to do that when I was a kid".....I said, "great, would you like to spar?", he just turned and walked away....

(3) Chinese people will occasionally come up very close for a look...(like drivers waiting with nothing to do)....usually smoking....I normally say "no problem if you want to look, but if you are going to smoke, please stand way over there about 50 meters away"....that usually cures their curiosity

Greg
Ozguorui
Mingjing

Postby Greg J on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:12 pm

kenneth fish wrote:Around about 1981 I was in a local playground in Queens, learning from Mrs. Zhu Suyi, ( one of Chen Panling's associates). She was teaching me Bagua and short stick one day - as we went through the short stick set a black sedan with diplomatic plates came to a quick stop and a man hopped out - he was from the Phillipine embassy and had seen us - he said "you can't do that out in public! That is not for public to see!" We looked at him, puzzled, and I explained to him that this was not a Phillipine martial art, it was a Chinese stick set. It was his turn to be puzzled - he watch for a while, then took off....

Hi Kenneth,

Any video of this particular style of short stick (either form, free play/ "carrenza" or sparring)? I would love to learn more about it!

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby kenneth fish on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:40 pm

No, I am afraid not.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Greg J wrote:Any video of this particular style of short stick (either form, free play/ "carrenza" or sparring)? I would love to learn more about it!

kenneth fish wrote:No, I am afraid not.

I don't have any video, but I found an image of a stick on line:

See? Helping! That's what RSF is all about!

;D
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:38 am

Looking at that stick... I'm just not sure it's lineage is orthodox. Does it come with an ancient scroll containing the classics as passed down by your master, Bhassler?
The NHS is not drained by migrants, but sustained by them.
Heretics podcast | The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:06 am

internally orthodox kodo drumstick :)

here is martial stick , can be for carving too :D
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan