stories about training in public

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: stories about training in public

Postby Michael Babin on Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:15 am

"That's Not a Stick! This is a Stick!" [with apologies to Crocodile Dundee] :D

Website & Martial Blog http://www.mbtaiji.net
Yang & Sun Taiji and Bagua Solo Form Samples on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/michaelbabin
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:54 am

I am not sure that posting photos of your knobby shaft meets with board guidlines
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby Bhassler on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:18 am

GrahamB wrote:Looking at that stick... I'm just not sure it's lineage is orthodox. Does it come with an ancient scroll containing the classics as passed down by your master, Bhassler?

We use a hybrid stick combining the best elements of all sticks. After playing with thousands of sticks (both our own and others), we've come to recognize the core components that makes a stick a stick. Our stick transcends style. What we're after is the quiddity of stick-ness. Our sticks have to be felt to be understood. But hey, if you just want to play with your own stick, that's cool. We're all friends, here...
What I'm after isn't flexible bodies, but flexible brains.
--Moshe Feldenkrais
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:59 am

Bhassler wrote:What we're after is the quiddity of stick-ness. Our sticks have to be felt to be understood. But hey, if you just want to play with your own stick, that's cool. We're all friends, here...

In other words, what you're after is how sticky your stick is, -- or can become, the more you play with it...

Oh man...

DAMN YOU ASURA!!!

-bolt-
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 pm

DAMN YOU ASURA!!!

Godspeed to our lost brothers..the living and the dead. Godspeed!

I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:57 am

A while back we were working on metal and wood at Margaret T. Hance Park here in Phoenix. First class was interrupted by a homeless gent trying to "pass the football" when I was in a transitionary stance in metal. Then another homeless guy that I occasionally smoke weed with came by and shook my hand. Then a third cat came by and started exclaiming, "Wataaaaaaah! I do karate bro! I'm a healer!" We just kept trying to practice. A little while later as we were circle walking an argument cropped up in the midst of a homeless gathering under the shade.

They started arguing about having an entire drunken family on the street living in the park. One guy from the argument was shouting and leaving at the same time. Once he gained a sufficient separation from his opponent he started yelling louder and then ran when he saw the fellow he was deriding en route on foot. So the chap coming through the park, after being most roundly ridiculed for his entire family's sodden state, ran through where we were practicing and picked up the 2 gallon Rubbermaid water jug by the tree we were circling. Intent on doing serious damage to his prey, the guy who stole our hydration started to swing the jug around his shoulder with a good wind up, almost like a cartoon. The larger mouthed fellow who was fleeing eventually committed to his strategic departure and our jug was returned with an apology.

Once the jug incident settled down a friend of the pursuer's came up to our general area and started shouting, "Just kill me! I got nothing to live for! Why am I still here? I don't wanna be here any more!" As soon as the woe burdened gent came up we decided to relocate practice to a different part of the park. About a minute after we got to the other side we saw a Phoenix PD SUV plow through the park to the shady gathering area. We ended practice shortly after that due to a dust storm and the coming monsoon rains.
greytowhite
Huajing

Postby vadaga on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:26 am

shawnsegler wrote:
DAMN YOU ASURA!!!

Speaking of sticky things, when I was living in Guangzhou and the weather got warm I was often in Dongfeng park... one day as I was doing spear fajin drills some aspiring marksman shot me in the leg with an airsoft gun... the first time I thought I imagined it so just kept on going, but after the second time I just gave up on spear drills as I could not determine where exactly it was coming from... also had some nice foot races on the circular track in that park during summer evenings with whoever was around... once was practicing slow form at the west side of the park and got invited to play jianzi badminton doubles by a Chen taiji practitioner. The guy was very friendly and it was a great workout for the legs...
Last edited by vadaga on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Michael Babin on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:09 pm

Not taiji-related but in 1973 I was in Norwich, England, fresh out of university working on a salvage archaeology dig in an old house being cleared to make room for a Sainsbury's parking lot. The trench was right next to a busy street with only a short fence between the ditch and the sidewalk. We often had people rubber-necking as we dug deeper and deeper. One wit paused, one day, for a while and finally said in a loud voice "yer going too deep, mate, if you're looking for taters."

:)
Website & Martial Blog http://www.mbtaiji.net
Yang & Sun Taiji and Bagua Solo Form Samples on Vimeo https://vimeo.com/michaelbabin
Michael Babin
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:21 pm

vadaga wrote:Speaking of sticky things, when I was living in Guangzhou and the weather got warm I was often in Dongfeng park... one day as I was doing spear fajin drills some aspiring marksman shot me in the leg with an airsoft gun...

Dear Mister Bak Gwei, please stop showing off, you make me feel bad.

Sincerely,
Random Sniper with xiao jiba and big gun
Diversity is our strength. Wait, I mean ignorance is our strength. Err no, war is peace. Freedom is definitely slavery.
Michael
Great Old One

Postby vadaga on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:02 pm

about the only bad experience I had in that park, which otherwise is quite a fun place
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Glad you mentioned it, I'm gonna check it out.
Last edited by Michael on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diversity is our strength. Wait, I mean ignorance is our strength. Err no, war is peace. Freedom is definitely slavery.
Michael
Great Old One

Postby san5324 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm

I actually never had bad experience training in China. Only thing that is a bit annoying is when Chinese people are so surprised that foreigners can practice wushu too.

The last 7 years I have been living in hangzhou and I've been practicing with my teacher in his compound for the last 4+ years so the people there know who I am.
san5324
Santi

Postby oragami_itto on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:34 pm

Doing push hands at the park, a squirrel grabbed one of the guy's wallet and ran up a tree with it. The whole group stopped what they were doing and started throwing things at it to make it drop the wallet. It did, and sprayed the park with his cards.
"My own knowledge is shallow and I await corrections from the intelligent."
-Hermit of Jade Well
oragami_itto
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 am

LOL!

The squirrel was teaching him to always be aware of your surroundings.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 am

Everything from eight German-Shepherd police dogs curiously sniffing around me while ZZing, to a sad passer by lady who asked if I could help her son that had cancer, to a “business” lady who asked smilingly while stroking my arm if I wanted massage, to a camera man from the tv station that lay next to the park I was training asking to shoot me......
Trick
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan