Meditation/Mentality/Energy Levels

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Meditation/Mentality/Energy Levels

Postby Johnny Drama on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks Kreese. Good stuff.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Re: Meditation/Mentality/Energy Levels

Postby Johnny Drama on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 pm

Training update.

I'm training every chance I can. I actually had to take tonight off because my body just needed a rest. Mostly its gi Jiu Jitsu, although I am training wrestling and no gi at least once a week. I have a variety of training partners. Wrestlers, Judo guys, talented Jiu Jitsu players, strong big guys, small fast guys. I am trying to train with absolutely everyone.

Meditations effect on my ability-

Some days are good, some days are bad. The big thing I am realizing now is how important it is to make a decision during rolling. For awhile I focused entirely on "being in the moment". Not really thinking, just doing. While I still focus on that, I am trying to balance it with being mindful of the present and making clear decisions. I find that when I am making quick, strong decisions I do far better than I would if I don't think at all and just go into a sparring match with the "lets see what happens" attitude.

Specifically, even if I am "losing", as long as I keep my head and keep making decisions I see there is always a chance to reverse my position and win.

I also found that making conscious decisions while fighting makes me feel like I have an invisible means of support. This dramatically effects my gas levels. When I am not making decisions, I feel as though I have no means of support and I am more apt to panic and gas out because of it.

I feel fine about my conditioning. I mostly get it through sparring. But, I also supplement it with running, swimming, rowing, weights, and bodyweight exercises. I try and change it up frequently.

As far as strategy goes, I am pretty sure I am going to be fighting for takedowns and top position come Pan Ams. I just feel that top is the best chance I have for me to finish. At the same time, half guard is probably my safest position. However, I have been training with guys who are good wrestlers and/or good at head control, darce chokes and guillotines, and I don't like spending much time in half guard against them. I am not going to hang out there, but use it as a transitional position to either a safer butterfly, or more likely sweeps and subs.
Johnny Drama
Santi

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan