Frustrated with Coaches.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Frustrated with Coaches.

Postby Jeice on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:37 pm

*Rant mode on
Ok, so I'm at boxing, trying to work some things, fill in some holes, improve in the necessary ways, and I ask the assistant coach (Great guy, helps me every practice) for some extra tutelage regarding a particular combination, he gives some advice, and starts watching me work the bag, I think "Great, supervision" next thing I know, the head coach comes over (Hasn't said more than a few sentances to me in two months, never works with me unless I hunt him down), takes the assistant behind a punching bag and starts talking to him, but not without me seeing a thumb pointing in my direction. after that, my supervision ENDS, completely. I ask the assistant coach to take me on the pads as we usually do every practice, he agrees, after the first round I'm asking him what I'm doing wrong and where I need to improve and he replies (in a heavy serbian accent)"is fine for recreational boxer," I'm stunned by this, as he's always been very forthcoming with information and pointers, suddenly I'm "fine" and don't need any coaching? and what the fuck is this "recreational" bullshit? I told the head coach I can't fight because I'm trying to get my career started and have to keep my face pretty for interviews on a daily basis, and now I'm a second class citizen in the gym? I'm paying my dues like everyone else, I'm just as eager and WANT TO FIGHT, why the fuck is it ok to stiff me on coaching? There's only two weeks left until it closes for summer, do I say nothing? take it to the head? just keep working the assistant coach who helped me out again after I insisted I was completely dead set on being "fighter level?"
Assist me Flower. I am Stewing in my own juices. Grant me your wisdom and perspective because I am simple and heated.
Jeice
Anjing

Re: Frustrated with Coaches.

Postby CaliG on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:59 pm

Boxing gyms and MMA gyms are like that at times.

Sometimes they focus on the best and the guys who want to compete.

I recommend trying to find another trainer in the gym or another gym altogether if it continues.

Or who knows maybe if you keep coming back they'll see that you're serious about your training and they'll take you seriously. It sucks being the new guy.
Last edited by CaliG on Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaliG

Postby nianfong on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:04 am

wow that really sucks. I'd suggest going straight to the source. talk to your head coach in private. be diplomatic, and see what his problem is, and if you can alleviate it.

of course, that is the xingyi approach--confront him head on. ;D
Last edited by nianfong on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Jeice on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:10 am

nianfong wrote:wow that really sucks. I'd suggest going straight to the source. talk to your head coach in private. be diplomatic, and see what his problem is, and if you can alleviate it.

of course, that is the xingyi approach--confront him head on. ;D

If that fails... can I try to Pi on him?
Jeice
Anjing

Postby nianfong on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 am

if he exposes his beng to you... sure! ;D
nianfong
Administrator

Postby Jeice on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:27 am

nianfong wrote:if he exposes his beng to you... sure! ;D

If he exposes the beng, I feel it is my solemn duty to Pi on it, permission is not required.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Ian on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:45 am

I think your answer lies with a longbow, a quiver of arrows, and a clocktower.

Or just find a less childish teacher.
Ian

Postby Jeice on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:46 am

Ian wrote:I think your answer lies with a longbow, a quiver of arrows, and a clocktower.

I only have two weeks left at the gym until they break for summer anyway. So I figure I might just cowtow it and milk them for all the coaching I possibly can and then peace it.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:58 am

What kind of serious gym takes a break in the summer?

The coach's behavior is just uncalled for and rude. I agree with Fong, go talk to the main man and find out what his problem is.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:49 am

The coach's behavior is absolutely understandable. Boxing gyms are generally money losing propositions, and they depend on their ability to turn out solid competitive fighters to get a reputation, a cut of the prize money, and or more fighters. That is just the way it is. It might feel rude to you, but flip it around, and think how the coach might think about you telling him that you don't want to go balls to the wall, and want to keep that pretty little face of yours. Imagine if you had a CMA teacher, who told you "go hold horse stance low for 1 hour" and you said, "Jeesh, that's a long time, I got shit I want to do." Same thing.

Now, if you want to handle it properly, go to the head coach and say "look, I understand that you want to save energy for your best fighters, and I am sorry if I disappointed you because I can't try to go pro. That being said, if the assistant coach isn't busy with one of your prospects, and I mean someone you think really has a shot, then I'd appreciate being given equal time. I didn't come to a boxing gym to be treated as a hobbyist. I can go to XXX workout and fitness to do that."

Basically, let the coach know you understand the why's and where's he coming from. As a someone not trying to go pro, at a boxing gym, YOU ARE A SECOND CLASS CITIZEN. That is just it. But, if the asst coach has time, then there is no reason to just be ignored.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Jeice wrote:
Ian wrote:I think your answer lies with a longbow, a quiver of arrows, and a clocktower.

I only have two weeks left at the gym until they break for summer anyway. So I figure I might just cowtow it and milk them for all the coaching I possibly can and then peace it.

It sucks, but the above sounds like a good plan. Change gyms anyway. I understand Zhong's points, which are valid, but I don't think that the assistant should have been given shit for helping you out, especially since it does not sound like you were taking too much time from him anyway.

Maybe the head coach has some issues. You ARE a pretty good fighter IMO, you can find a better gym, I am sure of it.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:40 am

Zhong_Kui wrote:The coach's behavior is absolutely understandable. Boxing gyms are generally money losing propositions, and they depend on their ability to turn out solid competitive fighters to get a reputation, a cut of the prize money, and or more fighters. That is just the way it is. It might feel rude to you, but flip it around, and think how the coach might think about you telling him that you don't want to go balls to the wall, and want to keep that pretty little face of yours. Imagine if you had a CMA teacher, who told you "go hold horse stance low for 1 hour" and you said, "Jeesh, that's a long time, I got shit I want to do." Same thing.

That's a good point. At a gym out this way I've been told that trainers only make $15/month per student.

That's nothing.

I wouldn't really bother brining it up with 2 weeks left, just finish up your time, go train somewhere else or take private lessons. Besides you don't even know what they said to each other.
Last edited by CaliG on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CaliG

Postby Fubo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:28 pm

This reminds me of a relatively well known Judo school in the mid-west (which I won't name). The school is run by a couple of big name ex-competitors and focuses all their energy on producing high level competitors. They have built up a reputation of giving way more attention to people that compete and do well, compared to the people that either just want to train MA/sport, or the people that compete but don't do so well. They have been known to be really supportive to their competitors that do well, but when the fighter get injured and have to leave Judo for a while, or when the fighter drops into a slump or hits their peak and stops continuously winning, they drop them by the waist side. These people are also very condescending to the students that are just there to learn and don't "produce" results of the school.

So, if I were you I would (like others have said) finish your 2 weeks and just find another place. Even if they did start to "accept you" (I can't stand this kind of bullshit) and you started to fight through them in the future, it sounds like they're the kind of place to "un-accept you" if you have to lay off for a while. It's better to find a place where you can train in a positive context then a place where your training is at the mercy of some coaches fucked up idea of value.

If someone is not trying hard and wasting the coach time then I can understand the coach not caring about the persons training, but if someone is trying hard and genuinely wants to train and improve but doesn't want to compete, then the coaches response is BS.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:36 pm

Yeah, Jeice trains hard from what I was able to judge the few times that I met him.

In my old TKD school, the people who did competitions got most of the attention. Especially those that were winning. I can understand that to a certain point, in a martial sport school. However, it is quite frustrating, when you try hard. A good coach can make you cross the line and become a much better fighter, especially if you have the dedication but you don't really know how.
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

Postby CaliG on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah I have to go along with the last 2 posts as well. Although we don't know what was said, in combat sports there is a lot of BS and it takes time to find a gym that cares about all their students even if they just train once in awhile.

I had a similar experience with my first trainer when I was taking some boxing lessons, he too would focus on the competitors. When I switched to antoher trainer my old trainer told me that he was trying to get me in shape. ::)

I kind of reminds me of the movie "Red Belt" where the guy loves jujitsu but hates the BS.

Just keep looking around.
Last edited by CaliG on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
CaliG

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan