Frustrated with Coaches.

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Frustrated with Coaches.

Postby neijia_boxer on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:45 pm

i wouldnt be frustrated, i'd just try hard, money (private lessons) to the coaches and being upfront with them helps, go to sparring as much as possible and get beat up often but fight back too. My coach just pulled me out of a june 28th fight because the younger fighters (age 19-25) are a better investment value in coaching because they show up to class more than i can. I am an IT manager at age 35 that works across town so making it to 530pm sparring class does not work with my schedule, only the friday and saturday sparring classes and regular class work for me.
neijia_boxer

Postby beegs on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

i thin k some of the points here would be valid if the coach wasnt working with you at all, and had to handle the money fighters first. but if the guy is holdin pads for you and watchin over you, there is no reason he cant teach you properly.

some gyms are cheap such as PAL and such, they also have great trainers, hell we had BUDDY MCGIRT teaching here forever back in the day when he was fighting. the cost of the gym was like 100 bucks for the year!police athletic league(PAL)

the gyms dont usually profit from the fighters, the coaches and corner men and managers make the money in most places(not alot of money) so as far as puttin their time in with you, if they are training you, they shoudl train you right, unless its like cma and their is a tradition thing you have to deal with.

like i said, if he wasnt training you at all and had a prospect he was coaching, its more understandable, but if hes spendin the time with you, its seems odd he would hold back.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby SitYodTong on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:06 pm

I have coached Muay Thai for about 8 years. While I do care about ALL my students becoming the best they can be, it simply isn't possible to give a recreational trainee the same attention you give to a fighter.

Particularly when a fight is coming up, you need to spend a lot of time with your fighter--they need more pad work, more mitt work, more instruction, more sparring, etc. Failing to give them 100% is putting them in danger. If they are not fully prepared, they can be seriously hurt. After training you will often sit down with them and talk about what they need to work on, how they're eating, where their weight is, etc. and work on a plan of action for the next few days.

It's mentally and physically exhausting--almost as much as training for a fight is.

On the other hand, a recreational student doesn't need or warrant the same degree of instruction. There is no point in giving some 10 rounds of pad and focus mitt work if they have no desire to fight. That said they do deserve quality instruction.

Especially in boxing gyms, you will not be giving much attention if you aren't planning on fighting. I found the same to be true in Thailand--if you are a foreigner, you need to prove to the Thai trainers that you want to fight and are willing to train brutally hard to do so. If you don't...well, don't expect much in the way of training.

Boxing gyms aren't there to provide yuppies with a workout, they are there to turn out fighters. If that's a problem for you, offer to be a sparring partner for some guys in your weight class. Take your lumps and you will get respect and get trained. Or stop whining and leave.
SitYodTong
Santi

Postby Fubo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:52 pm

My critique isn't that everyone should get equal attention all the time - of course if there is a competition coming up the people training for it need to have more attention, or the people that work hard should get more attention, I think that makes complete sense. But, I think it's "off" when some guy (any guy, yuppie, teacher, who ever) goes to train and works hard, spars, but maybe doesn't perform very well & maybe is not in the position to compete, and then gets treated like he's not worthy of the coaches time and is kept out of the "old boys club", for lack of a better term. I believe in this situation it's not about "whining".

This is not my personal "beef" as I compete, spar and work just as hard as everyone where I train, but I see this kind of crap happening from time to time at other places.
Fubo
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Well you could quit boxing and go and train with that Chinese MA master in NY whose name I don't recall, but who had one guy who had heart, who wanted to fight and who was doing MMA, and was bascially told to leave. I suppose it didn't help that he challenged any of the master's senior students to fight on EF...

...shit, what was that guy's name?
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:16 am

SitYodTong wrote: If that's a problem for you, offer to be a sparring partner for some guys in your weight class. Take your lumps and you will get respect and get trained. Or stop whining and leave.

THIS.
I have no problem with fighting, I like it, it gives me a big rubbery one when it happens right. I was already planning on asking to be a sparring partner for some of the current competitors. I just wanted to hammer out my technical deficiencies before getting my head knocked in as a result of being out of condition and having giant gaping holes in my game so I can actually push that competitor preparing for a match, I'm not sure if that makes me a yuppy or a good potential sparring partner...
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Finny on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:33 am

Andy_S wrote:Well you could quit boxing and go and train with that Chinese MA master in NY whose name I don't recall, but who had one guy who had heart, who wanted to fight and who was doing MMA, and was bascially told to leave. I suppose it didn't help that he challenged any of the master's senior students to fight on EF...

Ray Pina a.k.a "Sifu Ray" a.k.a "World Class Surfer"

::)
Last edited by Finny on Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finny
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 am

Those were fun times.
Ian

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:17 am

Jeice, maybe the road bump is in the communication?

Perhaps your comments about keeping a pretty face etc, were interpreted as more than what they were and for that you've been back up on.

Make that thing smooth and see what happens.
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Darth Rock&Roll on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:18 am

by the way, you're not that pretty. :)
Coconuts. Bananas. Mangos. Rice. Beans. Water. It's good.
Darth Rock&Roll
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:32 am

SNIP
I have no problem with fighting, I like it, it gives me a big rubbery one when it happens right.
SNIP

This is what I call perfect self-defense. Jeice, you and me are NEVER going to fight.

Never!
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 am

Finny wrote:
Andy_S wrote:Well you could quit boxing and go and train with that Chinese MA master in NY whose name I don't recall, but who had one guy who had heart, who wanted to fight and who was doing MMA, and was bascially told to leave. I suppose it didn't help that he challenged any of the master's senior students to fight on EF...

Ray Pina a.k.a "Sifu Ray" a.k.a "World Class Surfer"

::)

Remember Liz's song (or was it Dio?) "if you like pina coladas, and getting stuck in the pain..." etc..
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:47 am

Dont recall the song, but yes, Ray Pina, that was the man. And the master was - David Bond Chan, IIRC?

I think Ray went over to BJJ (?) where his proclivity for combative pursuits is probably better catered for.
Services available:
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Jeice on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:07 am

Andy_S wrote:SNIP
I have no problem with fighting, I like it, it gives me a big rubbery one when it happens right.
SNIP

This is what I call perfect self-defense. Jeice, you and me are NEVER going to fight.

Never!

If there's one thing I've learned, after a few years of BJJ your grappling partners don't even have to be willing ;)

Darth Rock&Roll wrote:by the way, you're not that pretty.

GONG SAU! >:(

Oh and one last thing, this isn't a "pro fighter" gym, its an amateur club that sends people to provincials and nationals fairly regularly.
Jeice
Anjing

Postby Darthwing Teorist on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:25 am

Jeice wrote:
Andy_S wrote:SNIP
SNIP

Never!

If there's one thing I've learned, after a few years of BJJ your grappling partners don't even have to be willing ;)

Now, I will have to wash myself in bleach. -puke-
И ам тхе террор тхат флапс ин тхе нигхт! И ам тхе црамп тхат руинс ёур форм! И ам... ДАРКWИНГ ДУЦК!
Darthwing Teorist
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan