Basics v. Basis

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Basics v. Basis

Postby qiphlow on Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:40 pm

More and more I find myself thinking, "Less is more" when it comes to exercises.

i know what you mean. assuming the "less" part means "less complicated" and not less time spent practicing.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Ian on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm

As a native Chinese speaker, 'basics' is a more accurate translation than 'bases'. Jiben = basic, gong = well, you already know what it is.

Personally I love basics, because they're so hard. Everyone has access to the secret, but only a few will possess it. When you have your basics down, you can give and give, but always remain in abundance.

I think that's the difference between a master who is truly giving, and a miserly teacher, who's afraid of having his 'secret' technique stolen.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian

Postby ninepalace on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:24 am

Ben wrote:I agree, I still try to practice the basics regurarly. More and more I find myself thinking, "Less is more" when it comes to exercises.

+11
ninepalace

Postby Muad'dib on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:44 am

As a native Chinese speaker, 'basics' is a more accurate translation than 'bases'.

Yeah, I should have thought of that. In Japanese, its Kihon, which is basics or fundamental.
I am no longer allowed to make statements regarding international politics in a public forum.
Muad'dib
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:08 pm

+1 Mace
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Ben on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:10 pm

qiphlow wrote:
More and more I find myself thinking, "Less is more" when it comes to exercises.

i know what you mean. assuming the "less" part means "less complicated" and not less time spent practicing.

Thats it exactly! :)
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby Butterball on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:17 am

This is one of the things that I like about constantly working with resisting opponents of different shapes, sizes and ability levels. It forces me to constantly improve my basics, but also be aware of more advanced material. (not that I'm particularly advanced, but people are always trying new stuff in sparring so there's no way to not be aware of it). If I'm having trouble applying a technique, I'm forced to break it down and learn why it's not working and what I can do to make it useful. If I have success applying a technique or a skill, people catch up and nullify it; forcing me to go back to the drawing board and figure out how to make it useful again. It's always coming back to improving my basic skills in posture, base, sensitivity, awareness, timing and fluidity and applying pressure.

That's how I view it right now, but that's always subject to change, lol.
Butterball
Great Old One

Postby kreese on Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Great post, Josh. Valuable insight from someone who does IMA and actually fights.

Interactions with other people always make me want to go improve my basics. I hardly ever think, "oh, if I had a fancy move I would have done better." Maybe at some level you can have more fun with technique and variations on application, but for a schmoe like me it always comes back to homework. Basics.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan