Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby nianfong on Tue May 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Greetings, and welcome to the RumSoakedFist forum!
Please read the FAQ here before you post, and to help keep you from being ostracized for being a troll or otherwise for being an asshole. ;D
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9559

Please introduce yourself here. At the minimum, please say what type of martial art(s) you train and for how long. most people will say who their teachers are, but sometimes that's private information, and we understand. If you can, please at least say what lineage you are from. I have made custom fields in your profiles, so you can put that information there as well. If you like, feel free to add your motivations for studying martial arts, and any background info you'd like the rest of the forum to know.

Hi, I'm Fong.
I've practiced hebei xingyiquan for 21 years, yang/chang style taijiquan for 19 years, baoding shuaijiao for 11 years.
I learned originally in taiwan, and now in the SF bay area (and whenever I go home to taiwan to visit my old teachers etc).
My xingyi teacher was Benjamin Wu 吳平盛, taiji was Chen han bing 陳漢賓 first, now Daniel Weng 翁啟修. Shuaijiao from Daniel Weng 翁啟修.
I study the arts to strengthen and improve myself, to preserve my cultural treasures, to pass them on, and to have fun sparring/competing.
Last edited by nianfong on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
nianfong
Administrator

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby shawnsegler on Tue May 13, 2008 1:08 pm

My name is actually spiritriverhorse420, but I use the psudoname "shawnsegler" on EF. I pursue the mysterious "way of the saint"!
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby krisbowen on Tue May 13, 2008 1:20 pm

My wife calls me "Lord High Mucky Muck" but you guys can call me Kris.
Dai Shi Liu He Xin Yi (2 yearsish) is how I get my groove on outta the bedroom....LOL
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wang said ; BJJ "mounting skill" is just one of the ancient China men's "raping" skill.
krisbowen
Great Old One

Postby Wuyizidi on Tue May 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Greetings:

Came to U.S. from Beijing in 1982.

Started martial art training in 1995 in Shorinji Kempo with Hiro Miyata sensei. Stopped when he moved to Los Angeles in 1999.

Started Chinese martial art training with Ren Guang Yi 任廣義 laoshi in 1998. Ren laoshi is the senior disciple of current Chen Style Taiji Quan lineage holder Chen Xiao Wang 陳小旺.

Stopped all training for a year or so when I had major wrist surgery due to practice injury.

Since 2001 have been practicing Northern Wu Style Taiji Quan with the Yin Cheng Gong Fa group founded by (my great grandmaster) Wang Peisheng 王培生.
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
勤学,苦练, 慎思, 明辨。
心与境寂,道随悟深。

http://internalmartialart.wordpress.com/
Wuyizidi
Great Old One

Postby gasmaster on Tue May 13, 2008 1:41 pm

hey i'm brett, I do some bagua. yadda, yadda, yadda.
gasmaster
Great Old One

Postby Swede on Tue May 13, 2008 1:46 pm

My name is Peter. I have trained in taiji for just shy of 15 years, starting out in Zhen Man Qing, then "traditional" Yang style, some Chen, tiny bit of Wu2, also Hebei xingyi for around 6 years, couple years of walking in circles (just the walk, no palm change, so if I said I was a bagua guy I'd be struck down in a spiral fashion), and most recently some yi quan. Nowadays I mainly practice my zhan zhuang, plus whatever else my son lets me have time for, but just being a dad is some spectacular practice all by itself. In short, I'm not good at a lot of stuff, but I'm having fun.
Swede
Mingjing

Postby qiphlow on Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 pm

hi. i'm jeff.
yang taiji with doc-fai wong from oct. 1997-feb. 2007(with a bit of choy li fut learned by osmosis). yiquan with robert lee from april 2007-october 2007.
currently practicing zhan zhuang, and some cirle walking (basic guard hand position only), plus sparring when i can get to oakland.
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esoteric voodoo wizard
qiphlow
Great Old One

Postby Plante on Tue May 13, 2008 2:15 pm

Philippe here. I practice baguazhang from the line of MaGui, a student of both YinFu and DongHaiChuan. I did some taijiquan and xingyiquan in the past but forgot most of it to adopt the bagua shenfa.
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Like dragon, like phoenix.
Plante
Great Old One

Postby Kevin_Wallbridge on Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Greetings all. I've been in MA since 85 (Wado Karate to begin, switched to Chinese stuff as soon as I had some exposure). Spent a year studying Qigong in China with a couple of Great Old Ones at the beginning of the 90's. That has been the basis of everything else that has followed (Taiji Xingyi and Bagua... its a layer cake!).

I currently teach at a Chinese medicine school (Taiji, Qigong, 推拿/Tuina, History of Chinese medicine, History of Biomedicine, Human evolution, Chinese language for TCM practitioners and 情志病/Mental-Emotional disorders). I'll be writing licensing exams for TCM Practitioner in the fall.
拳中龙象本能之学
Kevin_Wallbridge
Great Old One

Postby dragontigerpalm on Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I'm Marty and study I Liq Chuan with Sifu Sam F.S. Chin and Rich Kelly. Studied some boxing and judo when young - long time ago, have been a bouncer for many years and run security in a club.
The more you sweat in peacetime, the less you bleed during War.
dragontigerpalm
Wuji

Postby JessOBrien on Tue May 13, 2008 2:33 pm

Hi Jess O'Brien here, my primary pursuits:
Aikido 1987- 1995
Tai Chi & Ba Gua 1991-1998
Ba Gua & Xing Yi 1998-2008
Lots of weird stuff in between.
Did a lot of visiting, seminars and traveling.
Wrote a book.
Fought 100 sparring matches (estimate) against average opponents. Did ok.
Taught my first class Feb 2008.
Practice one set of qigong and one set of gongfu per day, more when time allows.
-Jess O
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Tue May 13, 2008 3:01 pm

1975-1977 -- Sport fencing (rapier)
1977-1979 -- Judo & Sambo
1979-1985 -- Kyokushinkai Karate
1985-1994 -- a break from MA (some non-martial practice on my own: yoga, isometrics, meditation, running, etc.)
1994-present -- Yang Taijiquan (first 4 years at a "bad" school :-X; the rest -- at a very good one)
Jan 2008-present -- Gracie Jiujitsu
Last edited by Dmitri on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby fuga on Tue May 13, 2008 3:09 pm

My name is Pete.

I studied judo and karate sporadically as a kid/teenager.

Then joined my dad in a taiji forms class for two years (beginning in ~1997) -Yang style with Kenn Chase, who also introduced me to Feldenkrais.

This led me to studying bagua and xingyi (forms and applications) for ~5 years with Hal Mosher, mostly focusing on material handed down from Allen Pittman, whose West Coast workshops I attended.

Then began a period of dabbling - brief periods of training with Qian Zhao Hong (wish it could be more), George Xu, Fong Ha, and the Sayoc Kali group (knives).

After that Chen style and push hands for two years with one of those folks who prefers to stay under the radar. During this time, I also studied escrima bladework with Maija Soderholm.

A number of great seminars along the way with Li Tai Liang, Bruce Frantzis, Marnix Wells and Leo Gaje.

Now, I am going back to ground zero with my xingyi trying to retool it with everything else that I have learned as well as putting it through the meat grinder with regular sparring and informally teaching some friends so I have people to beat up locally. I also am trying to retain the taiji and neigong forms taught by Qian Zhao Hong. My interest in shuai jiao and grappling arts grows every time I get thrown by Greg or Fong.

I am also a founding member of the Fairyland Fight Club, aka the Gooseshit Gathering, aka the EF Bay Area group. This group has been the best thing about EF for me. A great bunch of guys working hard to improve our skills. A true brotherhood.
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Bär on Tue May 13, 2008 3:14 pm

Hey - I'm Mark. I've been slowly learning Chang TJQ for 2 1/2 years. Back half a lifetime ago I did some Judo, then later JKD/WC/MT/Kali and then a bit of Hung Gar. I'm a n00b hobbyist so I don't post much on the martial threads. There are many more here who have better, higher quality imput into the MAs than I.
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bär
Great Old One

Postby nready on Tue May 13, 2008 3:23 pm

Hello emptyflower.com,

Well I have studied the three internals, Hsingyiquan and Pakuachang and Taijiquan(Yang), also studied Wing Chun. I prefer Pakua do to its use of throws and take-downs. It seems to fit my body more, I have a short torso with longer arms and legs.

I also changed my name from over at the other emptyflower sites, I was Nobody once on emptyflower.com than when it was emptyflower.net I changed it to For, now I am nready. I choose the name from when I frist joined another site I had to shorten it to nready. Now what ever site I log into I log in as nready.

Nice to meet you all, see you around the threads. I like how the forum looks right now admins good job.

later,

-nready
Last edited by nianfong on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nready
Santi

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan