Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby matt.studley on Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello

My name is Matt. I started training Yang Tai Chi in 1992, switched to Chen in 2002. Although I have done little bits of Xing I, Yi Chuan and Bagua over the years, I'm really all about Tai Chi. And chi gung.

Used to be on the Neijia mailing list in the late 90s. Not sure that's still alive though?
matt.studley
Santi

Postby Dmitri on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:55 am

matt.studley wrote:Hello

My name is Matt. I started training Yang Tai Chi in 1992, switched to Chen in 2002. Although I have done little bits of Xing I, Yi Chuan and Bagua over the years, I'm really all about Tai Chi. And chi gung.

Used to be on the Neijia mailing list in the late 90s. Not sure that's still alive though?

Welcome.
OMG Neijia list!! It's been dead for a while AFAIK, but there are still some people here from it...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby formlessfighter on Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:59 pm

Hello RSF forum. I am a practitioner of Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan. I have not used any forums in the past, but have recently sought out a few because of the difficulty of practicing during COVID times. However, this forum seems to be well populated and frequented so I thought I would give it a shot.

I have also started utilizing some online Tai Chi resources for the first time in my Tai Chi journey (for the same reasons as mentioned above). I hope to find more through this forum in addition to sharing what I have found to be helpful with the community.

I am well aware of the stereotypically toxic nature of many people who behave in ways on internet forums and chat threads that they would never dare to in person. I hope this forum bucks that trend and even this request for new members to announce themselves here seems like a very good sign that RSF is the exception to that rule.

Looking forward to interacting with this community. Good luck to all in their practice.
formlessfighter
Santi

Postby taichiseeker on Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:20 am

hello, im new to the forum. i am relatively new to internal arts, 5 years into bagua and a little less in tai chi (wu style). thanks all
Last edited by taichiseeker on Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
taichiseeker
Santi

Postby tatsujin on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:15 am

Hello all! New user here...just making my manners and saying hello.

My name is Mike.

I am an old fella...I go way back on the interwebs, well before forums were a thing. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Neijia List. I was a long term member there, go all of the way back through the Mike Sigman "wars" on peng jing. Was on a few other lists.

I have an interest in background in Chen and Yang Taijiquan as well as Yiquan. Recently, due to the COVID situation, I developed an interest in both Xingyiquan and Baguazhang.

A master in none, so my contribution will (hopefully) be asking good or interesting questions.

I actually have a bit of a lightening rod kind of questions and am debating on how to word it so I don't create any issues.

Thank you for allowing me to play here and I look forward to getting to know you all and learn from you.
tatsujin
Santi

Postby Ad_B on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:52 pm

Hello folks.

Thankyou for this forum and all of the members who share their valuable ideas.

Thats why I'm introducing after many years a lurker and learner is to say thankyou but also I have questions and surprisingly, some possible answers to some things so if I question or answer its only from the point of view of a humble student and enquirer.

I practise a bastardisation of TJQ based on Cheng Man-ch'ing interpretations and form but with further additions in physical, chemical and spirit cultivation from the cornucopia of ideas, styles, systems and traditions that we have access to in this era of information exchange. If something works for me after trying and training, I'll keep it and treasure it (I'm not a purist except for in proper Wuji, standing, body architecture (+ stretches, massages, diet etc) and Taiji{as I understand it so far}). I don't train for martial skills as such but do appreciate the concept of a martial opponent as an avatar (in the Hinduism sense) for training martial and health elements in order to be better able to wrangle the most common opposing existential forces which IMHO are ones self, ones environment and the '10,000 things' of life (I'm not a martial artist but do appreciate the things of martial arts).

Well, since thats 3 things I'm not about (expert, artist or devotee) so why am I here?...I'll explain myself.

I was born dirt-poor in rural England and so a labourer of all sorts of digging, building, hauling, hefting, hard graft and the culture of beer 'n' skittles that goes with it.

In my early 30's I ditched it to become a Postman thinking that would be easier and was I ever wrong?

Its a daily frantic 3 hour object-lesson game before the rest of the world awakens followed by a full-speed quarter marathon of low to medium level assault course in all weathers with no proper recovery time. 7 years in and in whats supposed to be prime-of-life I was half dead halfway round so there was something wrong, I'd not got used to it or grown into it (it is apparently a common experience therein) and it was exhausting.

Someone asked me to accompany them to a Taichi class for moral support (out of shyness) whilst they settled-in and I did. I went and liked and stayed a bit and put some effort into the things of it and in just 6 weeks was getting (what I'd now suggest were accidental/incidental benefits) a better handle upon my job. I stayed in classes for 3 years and then left to cultivate what I'd learned and to read around the topics, research and develop.

17 years after and much studying and practise and the jobs a doddle, the '10,000 things' are in their proper perspective and this is all due to TJQ and the concepts thereof (inc: daoyin, yogic, neijia, meditation, Zhan zhuang [lots ofZhan zhuang ] bits and bobs).

There were immediate benefits which became incrementally better and better....and still going.

So why am I here?

I just wanted to post a testament somewhere regarding the practical use of TJQ (and related) skill-sets in ordinary life for ordinary people and I still have questions but now no teacher to ask.

Hi folks!

Ad.
Last edited by Ad_B on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ad_B
Santi

Postby SCMT on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Use to post here a few years ago, slowly stopped training just about everything. Been dealing with some age related issues (I'm old), arthritis. And some other old injury related issues, right and left knee meniscus repair, right knee total knee replacement, cataract surgery (both eyes) and two retina detachments (and repair) in the same eye as well as various other annoying issues. Slowly working my way back into training. Just been poking around the site reading threads.

T
Last edited by SCMT on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby everything on Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm

Welcome (back), and good luck with a full recovery!
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby SCMT on Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:27 am

everything wrote:Welcome (back), and good luck with a full recovery!

Thanks
Train with intent
SCMT
Anjing

Postby Sea.Wolf.Forge on Fri May 20, 2022 11:55 am

Hey guys, I posted here literally ages ago on the original EF board, now a decade+ older and uglier but picked up a nasty blacksmithing habit so trying to dig up info on old examples of metal things to recreate in my shop. My IMA background is Gao style bagua under the Yizong banner but I've dabbled in a bunch of other things along the way (including a lot of kickboxing and bjj so... there's that). Currently trying to find historical info and examples of Deerhorn knives for a build project and in the process of recreating an 1800's era chainwhip with specs I got from a collector.
Sea.Wolf.Forge
Anjing

Postby AndreasDavour on Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:13 am

Hi

My name is Andreas, and I've been practicing for some years now. These days I mostly focus on my xing yi quan, but have been all over the place, with tai ji quan and wudang tai yi taking up most of my time. I've a very eclectic taste, as I don't believe all that much in style purity. My main teachers have their basic training from Wudang Pai, though.
AndreasDavour
Santi

Postby realdealblues on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:20 am

Just wanted to say hello.

I've been practicing Tai Chi Chuan (mainly Yang Long Form) on and off over the last 20-25 years. I've been getting more serious about it over the last couple years and am back to practicing every day. During this time I am also just learning about all the variations and styles of Tai Chi (although I was aware of Sun and Chen styles for many years) as well as other internal Chinese martial arts. I never really dug into the history of the art and have mainly practiced Tai Chi for health so I'm interested in learning more and hope any questions I might ask won't be seen as too ignorant. I do try to research things myself first so hopefully I won't ask too much that's repetitive. I look forward to reading and hopefully one day participating a bit in conversations on here.
realdealblues
Santi

Postby charlie_cambridge on Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:27 am

Hi all,

Forgot if I ever intro'd myself but actively using this forum now that I'm teaching a group in Cambridge, MA: freshpondtaiji.com
Currently meeting 5 am every day, with a minimum 2x per week attendance requirement for anyone in the group.

Started with Zheng Manqing's student Liam Comerford 2001-2006, dropped in on a few Maggie Newman classes and push hands meets during that time, then Ben Lo 2007-2010. Have been exclusively training Patrick Kelly's approach since I met him in Shanghai in 2014.

I started studying the arts probably from watching too many Jet Li movies as a kid, and at an early age lost interest in the external arts when something inside me was much more drawn to what the internal arts had to offer. I probably entertained fantasies of being some sort of peerless boxer or whatnot as a teenager, and definitely was at least partly motivated by the depth of ability demonstrated by my first taiji teacher. I believe my perspective has matured with years of practice; my main interest these days is internal development. I'm personally not too interested in cross training because I have more than enough information to train from my current teacher, and I view taiji as a very refined tool for changing and developing myself (not a source of techniques, skills or other "things" to use to win a fight).

I am open to occasionally touching hands with people who share a similar attitude to training out of curiosity (to see what they have and if they can show me anything surprising), though I'm not interested in competing and don't consider it particularly useful training, so probably only for 5 minutes and only to see what someone has (and vice versa, to honestly show them where I am at). 5 minutes is more than enough to know where we stand if we're paying attention.

Mainly on here to hopefully meet like-minded people interested in the approach I follow (Huang Xingxian > Patrick Kelly's school) and maybe get some people to look up my group if you are in the area.
charlie_cambridge
Mingjing

Postby Philippe on Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:37 am

Hello,
My name is Philippe
I am Serge Augier’s disciple and I am studying and practicing taoism, as well as fighting arts from Da Xuan Tradition since 2004
Living in Paris but travelling often to teach around the world
Philippe
Santi

Postby leewanwang on Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:07 pm

I am a Martial Artist who trained one college semester in Judo in 2002, and various arts on and off. I would like to train in Internal Chinese Martial Arts now. I live in New York City, and hope to find a school to train in the borough of Queens.
leewanwang
Santi

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan