Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby TommyLee on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:40 am

Hi!

My name is Tommy (short). I am from Croatia, newbie in Xing Yi Quan. Practicing mostly alone and sometimes my experienced friend help me.
So... I am here mostly to annoy you with many questions... ;D
And to meet someone new.
TommyLee
Santi

Postby andymach33 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi all, I train with Sifu Adam Mizner and the Heaven Man Earth Taiji International school. If you're in Melbourne(australia) , drop me a line for some push and a tea.
Take care. Metta, Andy
andymach33
Santi

Postby neijin on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:39 am

Hi,
my nick is neijin and I practise Xinyi and Chen Taiji in Italy.
I hope to find here a place to exchange opinions about CMA.
Bye,
neijin
May the Schwartz be with you!
neijin
Santi

Postby Dean on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello,

I practice Tai Chi, Hsing Yi, and Pa Kua with Doc Stier. I've been a student for a number of years now. I hope by joining the forum I can gain some insights into training, have fun, and meet some friends.
Last edited by Dean on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Mingjing

Postby Joe L. on Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:28 pm

Welcome everyone.
"The harder you train, the harder it is to surrender"
Joe L.
Great Old One

Postby KHK on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:04 am

Hi.

my name is Karl i startet with Goju Ryu Karate in 1968 an was a Krateteacher for many years, then i startet Yang Taijiquan for about 2 years, Wu Taijiquan 8 years, Sun Taijiquan 5 years and Liu He Ba Fa 5 years. Now i do only Sun Taijiquan an LHBF.

Best,
Karl
KHK
Santi

Postby escrima on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 pm

In the non-virtual world I’m Elrik Jundis.

First I am thankful for this bulletin board. I am in a training vacuum (at least for me) because the folks I trained with are all back in the US. Also a number of the folks that I know who can teach me what I want to learn prefer to do it in person ;) Thank goodness for the internet and those willing to express and enlighten through words.

I currently live in the Philippines working on various entrepreneurial and social empowerment projects. I was born and raised in SF and most of my training has been in the SF Bay Area, Central valley California, and the Philippines.

I grew up in a house hold were street smarts, natural (Filipino, Chinese, & Western) energy & healing practices, and martial expression were part of my up bringing. I had been brought up to keep an open mind and to check out different stuff. I’ve also done formal training in Shiatsu, Naudbo Raon (Northern) and Jop Sen (Southern) Thai Massage. I’ve also done bodywork long enough that I could be certified in other stuff as well.

My formal martial training and practices looked something like this.

86-87 Foil Fencing
87-89 Kuk Sool Won
88 Shuai Jiao – I forgot my instructors name. He was from Brazil and he taught out of Chris Chan’s Wing Chun on Market St. near Van Ness.
89-90 Boxing at CCSF – Near the end of a great program
90-92 Judo at CCSF with Mitch Palacio
90-96 Escrima Serrada with Sultan Uddin
91-96 Taught Escrima Serrada in Berkeley and SF
91-96 Capoeira with many folks
93 First Trip to the Philippines. Met a whole bunch of masters and grandmasters. Training highlights include Antonio Ilustrisimo, Jose Mena, Andy Abrian, Ondo Caburnay, Tony Diego, Scioc Glaraga,
96- 97 Got into windsurfing and rock climbing instead

97 Second trip to Philippines: Highlights include training with Antonion Ilustrisimo’s Luneta Group and the old man himself, Jose Mena.
97- 99 Nei Gung, Chi Gung, Wu Short Form with Bernie Langan
My main practice was standing, Dragon & Tiger and the stuff in the BKF’s Opening the Energy Gates Book
97-03 Taught Combination of arts Berkeley and SF. At one point it seemed like I would always have oversea and or out of state students who were also instructors of other stuff. So we would cross train and trade flowing in push hands, roushou, hubad-lubad, cadena real, roda, and various kinds of sparing both empty hand and weapons based. Learned some life long lessons from just a few real contact matches with the great guys at Gint’s Club – the fighting gentlemen of Silicon Valley. Big influence on me at that time included Bagua, Pekiti-Tirsia from Bill McGrath, Dog Brother Martial Arts from Mark Denny, Silat from many sources, and most especially Corto Cadena Visayan Escrima from Sonny Umpad. While I never considered myself a formal student of Sonny, he was one of the most influential people on my practice as a martial artist. Sonny was a mentor I would visit from time to time over the years.
99 I had Yasser Tanadjalan live with me and that was the start of my exposure to silat
00-02 Training in Stockton, CA with the Angel’s Disciples Group under Darren Tibon
01 I began to cross train in Pekiti Tirsia – The movements more corresponded to my neigung training.
02 Longest trip to the Philippines: trained with Tony Diego and Yasser Tanadjalan

04 Started up in Judo again with Mitch Palacio and BJJ with Val Cubalas
05 to 08 I mostly did not have consistent external practice except for when I took up salsa dancing
97 A couple months training in Pekiti Tirsia with Romel Tortal and the White Plains group.
Nov 08 Complete nube to Xing Yi Quan under some guy in Binondo (Manila’s Chinatown) I don’t know if wants’ to be known yet.

Over the years I’ve been lucky enough to train and take workshops with a number of folks who’s influence stands out for me: John Chow, Larry Hartsell, Cliff Stewart, Cesar di Alabamba, Djimola, Dennis Newsom, Dan Inosanto, Luo De Xiu, Victor de Thours, Dexter Labanog, Edgar Sulite, William de Thours, Wally Jay, Moses Powel, Styles, Nikko Lozada, Loki Jorgenson, Maija Soderhom., Steve Seto, Eddy Von Duestch. and others. I also had a number of folks who at times were students but I feel I got the better end of the bargain and they have taught me much Tim Fong, Franz the RacoonSquid, Nino the HappyKnife, Ingmund the Viking, FighClub Vic and my seniors in the IMA. The Escrima-Digest list serve also had a huge impact on my training and development. Lastly my dad and grandfather - fighters and scholars in their own right.

Already I have gotten a lot from the EF. Maraming salamat sa inyong lahat!
Last edited by Kelley Graham on Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hook a brother up. Tryin' to get my learning on...
escrima
Santi

Postby JessOBrien on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Right on Elrik, I had a feeling "escrima" was either you or Franz... :)
My name is Jess O, our paths haven't crossed much, but I am friend and classmate of Eddy D, Maija, Eric N, Joe D, professor Pitt and others who have a lot of admiration and respect for you. I hope you post here, eF could learn much from you.
Good thing you found Xing Yi, I'm sure with your experience you'll pick it up quickly and get a lot from it.
Take care and be well.
-Jess O'Brien
Oakland CA
JessOBrien
Great Old One

Postby escrima on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:54 pm

thanks Jess. I really do miss all the great folks and the amount of knowledge and skill that exist in the bay area. It exist out here to but I am taking my time to feel out the ropes. They don't know this but I claim Eric and Joe as my first bagua and xing yi influences :)

I'll try to stay out of picking fights on the EF ;D I've already had enough of that with FMA guys traveling out of state to make me shut my smart mouth. Flying sticks is one thing, but someone wanting to fah jing me to death is something I don't want to face :) Worse yet they may challenge me to a standing session of Santi Shi. -sarcasm-

Looking forward to touching hands again and with others on the EF
Hook a brother up. Tryin' to get my learning on...
escrima
Santi

Postby Waterway on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Sorry I really should have gotten round to this earlier!

Started MA back in 2004. I did some boxing before then. Did this and that for a while, settled on Aikido and did that for about 2 years. I started getting into Taijiquan about 18 months into Aikido, and decided after a break in training that Chinese Arts were what I wanted to do. After a few false starts checking out classes and moving house, then moving again, I found a good teacher, who is a student of Chaing Hai Zhu, a 20th Generation Chen Master, 5th Generation Yang Master, 4th Generation Seven Star Mantis Master.
Waterway
Anjing

Postby Bahuyuddha on Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:08 am

Hi, this is my intro posting on EF.

Several years ago I trained Shaolin Longfist for about 5 years, and a little Chen style Taiji (at Wing Lam Kung Fu School in Sunnyvale, CA before it closed). I took a brief break from martial arts, and then started training again about two years ago after discovering Muay Thai. I started training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu very recently. I train both of these at Fairtex.

I enjoy the physical fitness of training, and since starting to train Muay Thai I've come to enjoy the competitiveness that comes with sparring. I don't feel a need to compete (I'm probably too old at 35), but might do some smokers when I feel up to it.
Bahuyuddha
Santi

Postby shawnsegler on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:02 am

Looking forward to touching hands again and with others on the EF

That is the bestest part of EF.
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Qin'sEmporium on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:36 pm

I am glad the 'flower' is up and running again!

Thank you
Last edited by Qin'sEmporium on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Qin'sEmporium
Huajing

Postby Yin on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Hi there

Welcome to the Flowah! Nice to 'see' you here.
Truth is a thing of this world, produced by multiple forms of constraint, and producing regular effects of power. Michel Foucault.
Yin
Great Old One

Postby Qin'sEmporium on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:09 pm

Thank you 'Yin', glad to see you here as well!

Thanks
Qin'sEmporium
Huajing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan