Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Welcome to the rum soaked fist. Please introduce yourself

Postby tool on Wed May 14, 2008 9:12 am

Hi all

my name is urs, i live in switzerland. did in the past matsubayashi-ryu karate, aikido and wing chun.

now i stick to my yang tcc, which i have been learning for the last 20 years or so.

>:@
tool
Santi

Postby Dai Zhi Qiang on Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am

Hey everyone my name is Jon Dyer (aka Jay_Bee aka Dai Zhi Qiang).

Been practising martial arts since I was 14 (I am now 31), art's I have trained in or been exposed are Karate, Aikido, Ninjitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Bei Shaolin Quan, Chin Na, Luohan Quan, Hebei Xing Yi Quan, Xin Yi Liu He Quan and now at last for god's sake, have I found Dai Shi Liu He Xin Yi Quan.

Around 6 months I was made tudi of grand master Yan Long Chang, becoming 7th generation and given the responsibility to promote Dai Xin Yi Quan.

Jon.

P.S, what a yarn!
Last edited by Dai Zhi Qiang on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai Zhi Qiang
Great Old One

Postby sekhmet on Wed May 14, 2008 10:55 am

Thanks fellas for all the work on the new forum. My name is Cosmos, I am in Chicago. I have studied bagua for about 11 years and dabbled in a lil taiji since '99.
Hate never dispels hate; only love dispels hate this is the law ancient an inexhaustible.

-the Buddha
sekhmet
Santi

Postby strawdog on Wed May 14, 2008 11:40 am

strawdog
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 am

Name is Justin. Started in Kung Fu when I was 7 or 8, I can't remember exactly but it was around 1991 or 1992. In 1995 my teacher decided to take a team to the first shuai chiao nationals with a kids division and he started teaching a group of kids shuai chiao. When I was 12 or so I took a break from MA and did normal kid stuff until my brother got his drivers liscense and at 15 I started back. Been learning pretty consistently since then with only missing some summers due to work. Learned the 24 form at OSU in a class there and had my teacher make corrections and I have been practicing that for 3 years or so. Just learned my first bit of xingyi in april, my teacher still hasn't had time to see that form yet.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby french franck on Wed May 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Hello,
EF reader and occasionnal poster (never more than santi before each mutation) since 2004. Martial arts lover since childhood, I specialized in internal martial arts in 1992 (xingyiquan/yiquan,daoyin/qigong, yangjia taijiquan). I've recently begun the study of jiang rong qiao' bagua zhang.
french franck
Santi

Postby Ben on Wed May 14, 2008 3:20 pm

Hello All! My names Ben and I've been doing Yang Tai Chi Chuan in the Atlanta area since 2002. I haven't ever done any other martial art and thats how I like it.
Never confuse movement with action.
-Ernest Hemingway
Ben
Great Old One

Postby mixjourneyman on Wed May 14, 2008 3:39 pm

My name is James, I started goju ryu karate when I was about 10 years old and stayed till I was 13. After going through my rebelious years between the ages of 13-20, I took up taijiquan for health. My dad used to be a martial arts fanatic, so he has lots of MA books lying around the house. I found Bruce Frantzis' book and fell in love with bagua. I've been studying bagua,taiji, and xingyi with various teachers for about five years. I have been studying with my current teacher (Yang Hai) for 3.
My xingyi comes from the Li cun Yi, Zhang Zhao Dong, and Xue Dian lineages respectively. I mostly practice Xue's xingyi, but when I feel like sharing with other people, I teach Li's fist. My bagua comes from Cheng You Long mostly, but I also have been known to practice Cheng You xIn's bagua a bit too (learned it first. Just started learning CYL's bagua last year).
I love martial arts and hope that I can keep practicing for many years to come.

I dig this forum and all the people on it!
Group hug!
mixjourneyman
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Wed May 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Klonk here. Greybeard chap. Occidental American. I learned the rudiments of hippy dippy taiji sometime back in the early nineteen-seventies and have gotten re-interested in taiji from time to time since then. My main martial arts interest these days is practical combatives; I practice a very small set of self defense techniques on a more or less daily basis.

My ideas about what is or isn't practical are influenced (some would say tainted) by Western style boxing and fencing, and a few years of JKA karate, long ago.
Last edited by klonk on Sat May 17, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby circle_walker on Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm

My name is Chris Anderson, I've always had an obcession with all things kung fu since I was a kid. I started in TKD when I was 11 or 12. I wasn't able to have serious training until I was 15, and it was in Northern Shaolin(some 7 star mantis as well), for about 3 years and fell in love with it. I later moved to Austin, and did a few months of Shuai Jiao under David Pickens, and later some Aikido/Kenjitsu under Armando Flores. I keep buying any m/a book that looks interesting, and stumbled across Yang Jwing Ming's/LIang Shou Yu's Er Mei BAgua Zhang book, and became deeply intrigued. I also started coming across a few issues of the Pa Kua Chang Journal, and recognized it as similar material. A few years later, I set out on a quest to find a teacher, and lucked out in finding Al-Waalee Muhammad. I've been studying with him on and off since Nov. 01'. I also had an all too brief foray in Pekiti Tersia Kali in San Antonio under Gaberiel Martinez. Been on all the incarnations of Emptyflower (as best I can recall) since 04'(I think).
circle_walker
Santi

Postby nready on Wed May 14, 2008 4:28 pm

My name is Christopher Spohn, I studied the three internals(Yang Taiji, Hsingyiquan, Pakuachang) under Dr. Fred Weaver of Kansas City. Started training around 1993 I think with him. Before that I studied Yang Taiji with a woman in the military, also studied Hapkido in California. Man does not seem that long ago hum.
nready
Santi

Postby Vince3 on Wed May 14, 2008 5:23 pm

Hi,
My name is Vince.I practice Jeet Kune Do , as well as Muay Thai since 1980.
Over the past year I've been studying Taoism so I'm trying to find an internal style to compliment.
Recently, I started training in Yiquan with Matt Lee who has trained with Wang Yongxiang.
Vince
Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself makes you fearless.
Lao Tzu
Vince3
Santi

Postby Captain McNugget on Thu May 15, 2008 4:20 am

Hey ya'll!

The last few years of my training have been mainly spent practising Master He's system of Bagua. Frickin love it!! -rock- Something really special bout that system... Also train some foundational Xing Yi things when I get a chance and attend a Southern Mantis class once a week for their strengh and conditioning methods.
Got loads of friends who practise one system of MA or another so I get alot oppurtunity to spar, grapple and test some of the principles I train in my own systems.

All the best dudes!

Luke
Last edited by Captain McNugget on Thu May 15, 2008 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain McNugget
Santi

Postby Felipe Bidó on Thu May 15, 2008 5:41 am

I know some of you know me, but for the new ones:

I'm Felipe Bido. Trained Karate, Aikido, Shaolin Five Animals, Choy Li Fut and a bit of Yang Taijiquan before meeting my Xingyiquan teacher, Deng Fuxin, 13 years ago. Since then I've been training Xingyiquan, Xinyiliuhe and Jian Ronqiao's Bagua. My main focus and interest is applications of techniques.
“Shut up. Your mouth is like my mother’s vagina; just a hole that disappointments come out of.” - Robert Brockway, Cracked.com
Felipe Bidó
Founder

Postby Mut on Thu May 15, 2008 6:03 am

hi... this feels like AA !! ...but...

I'm Guy I live in melbourne Aust. I have been training in KF since 96 the last 10 years of that practicing a SPM/TCC hybrid. i have also trained wu hao under Peter Wu for 2 years (hope to get back soon) and have dabbled in lots of other stuff. I like to touch other people........
"I've done 19 years of Tae Kwon Do.... I'm a blackbelt third dan.... I don't think I should start with your beginners..." ....phone enquiry I recieved....
Mut
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan