bare knuckle kung fu challenge match

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: bare knuckle kung fu challenge match

Postby Rikimaru on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 am

Glad to see this topic wont get trolled away!

@Cloudz ;
We both agree on the same "good" or "bad"

My main point was about a video entitled "Shaolin Wing Chun vs Pei Mei".
When i see this i'm actually looking for any Wing chun or Pei Mei in the clip; at least a flavor or a hint that could help someone who are not associated with this school to know what is the "style" practiced. To me, there is no Wing Chun, or Pei Mei in this clip.
You sort it very well by naming the topic "Bare Knuckle Kung-fu Challenge" because, this is what it is!
Rikimaru
Mingjing

Postby Dmitri on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 am

I don't think I'll ever understand how/why grown men who practice MA get into these sort of activities.
That is just as stupid (as an activity) as having "my style better than your style" discussions online.

Got something to "prove" I guess...
:-/ :-X
Last edited by Dmitri on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:42 am

Riki: SWC vs. PM same difference in their case. One was the uncle's school against the nephew's. They both got taught Pei Mei by the same Chinese teacher.They both got taught the same vietnamese wing chun stuff. Somehow, only the old dude got to be grand-master of both. :-\
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby Rikimaru on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 am

that would explain all this friction!
a self-proclaim "Grand (!) Master" will never get the respect HE think HE deserve - at least not by anyone who know who he are and where he came from.
I think that only the money have sorted this out ;)
Rikimaru
Mingjing

Postby xingyijuan on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:21 am

Yes, that could be one way of explaining it... ::)
"Power cannot exist without movement"Yang Hai

* Nammies: Comprehension not required.
xingyijuan
Great Old One

Postby cloudz on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 am

Bao wrote:
cloudz wrote:
Bao wrote:That was just bad fighting... :/

I'm curious what did you think was bad ?

I thought the guy who won had some strong kicking, and he certainly finished decisevly without taking any damage.

They both seemed very hesitent to commit to exchanging hands. Being bare knuckle and seeing the result I can understand their hesitence.

Hesitant? Not very committed to anything I would say. They kept the same range - inside kicking range - for the whole game. None of them seemed eager to play their own game or dominate the other guy's game. Not much follow up or any kind of tactical game. Just an exchange between single attacks.

A little bit peculiar game if I must say so. Not much commitment at all. But maybe the better guy just took it easy because he knew he would win. Well, I don't know... :/

Edit: Thanks Xingyi for the back story. It makes the fight it more understandable.

yea, I can agree to that. But I have to say once they did close up, the bigger guy finished it quickly, decisevly and in a manner that I can only describe as effective.

Stylistic issues aside, it was an effective finish. Though that is very much tarnished if not nullified by the back story.. If the poor guy wasn't expecting full contact like that, then that's very shoddy to say the least.

Rikimaru - no offense dude.. sorry, but I can't tell you how often I've spent time backtracking and explaining things I've said to people online. All because of being strawmaned, and comments being taken out of context. The swearing is a little gratuitous, yes. But, god, it makes me feel better! :D

my bad. thanks for noticing how the thread was titled - it was pre meditated for such a reason. I ain't no style queen baby :D
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby mrtoes on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 am

I guess I'm looking at it now through the lens of the back story but the first altercation didn't really look like much of a fight. Yes, good kick. Poor kid.

In that second video (assuming it's the same guy, the one in black who loses) it's at least a proper fight, and he shows how uncomfortable he is with close range fighting and grappling.

I know I'm not one to judge, but not really impressed. Frankly George, I reckon you'd take him to pieces.

Matthew.
mrtoes
Wuji

Postby Andy_S on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:13 am

SNIP
I don't think I'll ever understand how/why grown men who practice MA get into these sort of activities.
That is just as stupid (as an activity) as having "my style better than your style" discussions online.

Got something to "prove" I guess...
SNIP

Martial artists actually fighting each other rather than talking smack online? Oh, the horror of it.

If you take the "grown men" out of your comment, ther eis nothing we see here that is not perfectly understandable and very commonly seen male behaviour. I am not sure that the two in this clip qualify for the "grown men" description, though.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Andy_S on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 am

Second fight was a real fight. Kicks, face shots, clinch, knees, groudwork. OK, we did not see any great kung fu skill (beyond the posturing) but such is reality. As noted, a lot better than Maoshan's effor: Both guys had a game, of sorts. And the Viet guy clearly had a fair defense; he was not marked.
Services available:
Pies scoffed. Ales quaffed. Beds shat. Oiks irked. Chavs chinned. Thugs thumped. Sacks split. Arses goosed. Udders ogled. Canines consumed. Sheep shagged.Matrons outraged. Vicars enlightened. PM for rates.
Andy_S
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:17 am

I like how the guy with the very classical posturing-completely lost that in the 2nd vid when that opponent got in closer

Wasn't classical Wing Chun but that second guy got in close a few times & beat him with his hand skills

The chances to take out the front leg or get in & smack the opponent for having his back hand down in both vids was pretty bloody blatant
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby middleway on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:39 am

remember that fight with the kid getting into the crazy 'kung fu' stance everyone laughing then him beating down the other kiddy. Thats what the first fight reminded me of! :D

The back story to the first vid is disgusting .... the second vid was much better and the Viet guy had the other guy pretty much knocked out so good on him!

cheers
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 am

Andy_S wrote:Martial artists actually fighting each other rather than talking smack online? Oh, the horror of it.

If you take the "grown men" out of your comment, ther eis nothing we see here that is not perfectly understandable and very commonly seen male behaviour. I am not sure that the two in this clip qualify for the "grown men" description, though.

Really? "Very commonly seen?" Seen where, on the "cops" show? When was the last time you, Andy, went out on a parking lot and fist-fought with another MA practitioner to prove that your style is better? Just curious.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Adam S on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:37 am

Dmitri
I know(from another site) that Andy has been in a scrape or two
may not have been style versus style

but......
Proud Tree & Qi Hugger
Adam S
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:50 am

"but" is right... :)
I guess it depends on where one lives/the "social circle", but I haven't seen that sort of thing an any MA schools I've visited or trained in, -- only on YouTube, etc.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Rikimaru on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 am

Now that it is "illegal", i agree that it's not commonly seen.
I think this is pretty sad and that's why we see so much Shaolin-Salad and gymnastic taichi (no offence). there is nothing to filter them.

If you were praticing bowling from your youth, and somebody tells you that you can't play bowling at all, for sure you are going to "challenge" him for a match. Any word in the world will not replace the outcome of this match. The only difference between bowling and MA, is that the loser WILL get hurt.

Currently, the world of MA just hide themself behind discours and phylosophy (and the police). So we got a fews losers, going rogue and pretending to be the decendent of the 5 shaolin invisibles or to have learn from jesus himself, abusing the thrust(and wallet) of many fellows practicionner, without having anybody steping in to test his "word".

Don't think i'm trying to teach anybody a lesson or watever.... i can't say i've ever "went out on a parking lot and fist-fought with another MA practitioner to prove that my style is better"
Just Saying my point of view!
Rikimaru
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan