Onassis Parungao going to be in Raleigh, NC 4/23

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Onassis Parungao going to be in Raleigh, NC 4/23

Postby Subitai on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 pm

OK fellas couple of questions:

Any of you KUNG FU / Tai Chi Masters in Raleigh, NC area? Or do you know of someone around there?

I'm goin down south for a couple weeks in April for a relatives wedding. I'll be able to train, teach, kick your asses ::)..... and we could also go have PHO or other good local cuisine afterwards.

Dates kinda open for me now are 4/10/23 through to the 15th. PENDING on if i'm goin to see a friend of mine more WEST in NC... near a place called Hendersonville. (i've never been there)

OPEN Invite, anyone wanna try to Sweep, lock, throw or strike me....now's you're chance... cause if you slip up for second...I WILL GET YOU. HAHA.

Best ;D
PM through RUM site
or
https://taichi-ledyardct.webs.com/contact
Last edited by Subitai on Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Re: Onassis Parungao going to be in Raleigh, NC 4/23

Postby nicklinjm on Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:48 pm

Subitai - is the taiji you practice from the Ku Yu Cheung line? I sometimes see his taiji labelled as Yang style, but I see you class it as Sun style. Care to elaborate on why / how that situation came about?
nicklinjm
Wuji

Re: Onassis Parungao going to be in Raleigh, NC 4/23

Postby Subitai on Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:05 pm

nicklinjm wrote:Subitai - is the taiji you practice from the Ku Yu Cheung line? I sometimes see his taiji labelled as Yang style, but I see you class it as Sun style. Care to elaborate on why / how that situation came about?

Yeah sure no problem and to be clear, I do both:
1) Our Yang version of Tai chi AKA "Gu Style Tai chi chuan".
2) I also do Authentic Sun Style Tai Chi, as my sifu did Bai See to Si gong.

As well OUR school is the current AMERICAN Sun Tai Chi research school in the United States as it relates to our connection with Beijing and the descendants of Sun Jianyun.

==========================================================

i was going to type it all up myself but then I remember my Si-hing already did a write up about it. It's almost 20yrs ago now that Gene Ching did a write up about Sun Si Gongs passing. I'll paste the article link because it'll save me from having to do even MORE typing. (haha) https://www.kungfumagazine.com/index.ph ... rticle=416

Here is the appropriate excerpt from within:
I first learned Sun style Tai Chi from Sibak Paul Tam. He had studied Bak Sil Lum (BSL - or "northern shaolin" and noted that the Tai Chi form which had been handed down the BSL lineages as "Sun style" was really a modified Yang style. It looked nothing like the actual Sun style. In fact, Sun Lutang, Sun Jianyun's father, did swap techniques with BSL grandmaster Ku Yu Cheong. But that was before he fully developed his own distinctive Sun style by fusing Tai Chi theory with Xingyi and Bagua principles. So, like so many things in Chinese Martial Arts, the BSL lineages were both correct and incorrect in transmitting that Tai Chi form as "Sun style." Sibak Tam sought out Grandmaster Sun Jianyun and became her disciple. Tam was a valiant proponent of Sun style, but he had limited English, so few Americans know of him, much less trained with him. He is the unsung hero of Sun style in the BSL circles, since now many BSL practitioners have also gone back to retrieve and incorporate Sun style into their already vast curriculum. To the best of my knowledge, Tam was the first to do this. If it wasn't for him, the BSL Sun Tai Chi would still be just a modified Yang.

Some added info:

1) Paul Tam came by Lam Kwoon in Sunnyvale and gave more info about our Ku (Gu) ...Yu..Cheong) style (aka mod Yang) Also, he wrote a book called "Tai Chi Theory and practice".... he took down all of our names and I'm proud to say that in his 2nd edition print. He listed my name in the lineage chart.

Our Yang is in 3 parts just like Sun Tai chi is. The 2nd section known as the "kick section" is follows very similar kick patterns. In part 3 I carry over the crossed step (similar from Sun taiji) from "Fair lady Weaves" (aka 4 corners). Where as I think most Yang styles don't cross one leg over in the middle of 4 corners. Snake creeps low replaces, Sun tc "Santi left palm" in part 3. other things too.

2) I will say this about the KYC versions out there, because there are a few I've seen. Although similar, most Bak Sil lum masters leaving and teaching abroad did their Yang Slightly different than eachother as well as from my own Sifu. All that says to me is that students are people, and they all got from it whatever they thought was most important. It doesn't make it weaker IMO...in fact those subtle differences are what make it very interesting.

3)Gene later down in the article starts a paragraph " I last saw Grandmaster Sun in 1998....."

I also wanna add some input since I was there on that tour as well. "HE" (ie. GENE) may not remember too much from the lessons...but I do! I didn't pay all that money to go over for nothing.

We were there for a week and I stood in front everyday. Sun Jianyun was active in teaching (at least when she was up to it) and when she did, I very much enjoyed her using me as a punching / training bag. She used me to demonstrate on allot, I felt her skill when she used her palms on me.

The center of her palms when open on the side of her tigers mouth (i.e. index finger to thumb) were very distinct...they had a deep hole or depression, like you could fit and egg in there. LIke everything was drawing inwards .

==============================================================
A Demo for World Tai Chi Day.... Sun Style done at a faster pace than i'd normally do it. I've learned to speed up demo's at certain times. Especially If you're the last guy to perform. I know when i'm the spectator, I appreciate a little brevity.
Skip to 40 sec...
Last edited by Subitai on Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Subitai
Huajing

Return to Request a Teacher