(Xinyi-Dao) xingyi,bagua,and taichi in Virginia

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

(Xinyi-Dao) xingyi,bagua,and taichi in Virginia

Postby I'lls cappuccino on Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:45 am

Xinyi-Dao Internal Kung Fu in Northern Virginia

Taught by Master Mark Li

Master Li is the first generation lineage holder of Xingyi-Dao (心意道) Internal Kung Fu System. Xinyi-Dao system is founded by Grandmaster Gulong (aka Li Tai Liang), a worldwide renowned Chinese martial artist with over 35 years of professional teaching experiences. Grandmaster Gulong has taught at Shaolin Temple in China, Chinese Special Police Force, and the Beijing Sanshou/Kickboxing Team. Xinyi-Dao system was created by Grandmaster Gulong as a result of his extensive and unique experience in both traditional and modern martial arts. Xinyi-Dao system integrates the essence of Internal Martial Arts, Shaolin Kung Fu, and training elements used in Sanshou/kickboxing into a powerful and effective fighting style, with a deep focus on one’s physical, internal, and mental well-being.

Class schedule:
Wednesday: 7:30p.m. – 9p.m.
(Xinyi-Dao Kung Fu – Bagua Zhang, Qigong, & Self-Defense)

Friday: 7:30p.m. – 9p.m.
(Xinyi-Dao Kung Fu – Taiji Chuan, Qigong, & Self-Defense)

Sunday: 10a.m. – 11:30a.m.
(Xinyi-Dao Kung Fu – Xingyi Chuan, Qigong, & Self-Defense)

Tel: 631-935-3536 / Email: [email protected]

For more information on Xinyi-Dao System, please visit http://www.xinyidaousa.com.
Last edited by I'lls cappuccino on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'lls cappuccino
Mingjing

Re: (Xinyi-Dao) xingyi,bagua,and taichi in Virginia

Postby c_xlong on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 pm

Why is someone using the pen name of a famous author (Gu Long) as their daohao?

It would follow then that their first and second disciples would be qinglong (clean dragon) and baihu (white tiger)
c_xlong
Santi

Postby xXZetaBrownXx on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:01 pm

c_xlong wrote:Why is someone using the pen name of a famous author (Gu Long) as their daohao?

It would follow then that their first and second disciples would be qinglong (clean dragon) and baihu (white tiger)

Didn't you have this question on another post earlier?
Do you actually want an answer?
I bet the best way to get one would be to use one of the emails listed above...
Anyhoo...
If your in the area I would definitely go and check out Mark Li if your looking for someone to train with, or even if you just have an interest and want to check out the system.
Mark is a great guy and has a lot of very valuable information that he is willing to share and trying to promote.
xXZetaBrownXx
Santi

Postby c_xlong on Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:21 pm

Yes - and I also posted this:

"Sometimes when I am reading posts here and there I wonder - are Americans so gullible? In the past two weeks there have been posts by people from my own country announcing the arrival of such-and-such Grandmaster on the scene, ready to take students. One of them has even created a new system, of which he is the Grandmaster, along with a Daoist sounding name!

Is this how Chinese martial arts must be marketed in the West? Does not skill in the art and teaching count?

This in no way implies anything about the skills of the teachers - I do not know them, and they may very well have good skills - but to call oneself Grandmaster, and put on such airs, would be absurd in China.

In China we never hear this term "Grandmaster". I always thought it was a Western concept, as in Western Chess (Bobby Fisher and Boris Spasky were Grandmasters according to the ranking systems of international Chess - the title had some actual meaning, like "Heavyweight Champion").

In China we call teachers "Laoshi" or "Jiaotou" or even just "Xiansheng ("mister")" , especially if we are not students of them. If we or are teacher are very old fashioned we might call them "Shifu" out of respect - but that implies a certain relationship. There is no term like Grandmaster in China - our teachers teacher is our Grandteacher, but that is a relationship within a school or group, not a title. The same is true of the term "Zhangmenren" - this is the head of a school or (by agreement with others within the system) the person who has authority to represent the system to the public. It does not follow that this person is the most highly skilled in the system - usually he is the most educated or most personable. Perhaps the closest to the term Grandmaster the way Americans seem to use it is "chuanren", which means someone who has (again, by agreement or designation) authority to teach the system.

I would implore these teachers (and their students) to re-examine their motives in using such titles - it does not reflect well on them, and in turn it makes CMA look silly as well."

My question, which I put out publicly, is why do this (call yourself "Grandmaster") and give a meaningless name to what you teach, except as a way of marketing to the gullible> Is it not enough to say " I teach Xingyi, Dai Family Xinyi, and Sanshou" and let your skill speak for itself?
c_xlong
Santi

Postby xXZetaBrownXx on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 pm

Wow...
I believe the title of this topic was "request a teacher", not "make underhanded attempts at disrespecting teachers"...
Not even going to give this one anymore air on this thread.
Very big of you sir.
xXZetaBrownXx
Santi

Postby nianfong on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:16 pm

c_xlong, cut it out. PM the original poster your questions. I don't know why Li Tai Liang calls himself gu long... nor do I know the characters he has chosen for this name. Li is quite respected, and his son has a good reputation as well.

plus you are incorrect about qing long. qing long = green/blue dragon.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby beegs on Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:37 pm

I would implore these teachers (and their students) to re-examine their motives in using such titles - it does not reflect well on them, and in turn it makes CMA look silly as well."

My question, which I put out publicly, is why do this (call yourself "Grandmaster") and give a meaningless name to what you teach, except as a way of marketing to the gullible> Is it not enough to say " I teach Xingyi, Dai Family Xinyi, and Sanshou" and let your skill speak for itself?

America is not China, so Chinese title usage and names are very different, below is just a few examples, but america does not look at these titles as chinese do, because it is not China. A sifu or shifu here has nothing to do with relationship
nobody here would even look at a school with titles they dont know such as "Zhangmenren".

Grandmaster is not a boasting thing, here it is genrally considered a founder, or heir to a system. Of course their are exceptions as people can do what they want and some are salesman etc, but for most part the term is used as mentioned, also a title sui ye/ not sure how spelled, is used in areas in china as gm

any business must advertise to have any business and your advertising must be understood by those reading it, and this is american culture. Once they come to your school then you must have something valuable t o keep them their, but you need to get them to even look at you first, especially with arts that nobody even has a clue of what they are. If every other person uses common titles such as shifu, master, grandmaster etc, that is whats accepted here, what can u do?

alot of americans here laugh at discipleship, chinese customs, bowing,lion dancing, and a host of other chinese cutoms, they feel its like cultish fantazy, etc and a teacher student relatonship as in china would be looked at here as 'suspicious" if you know what i mean. right or wrong its just a Different culture.

if chinese people try to teach here according to the customs in china, odds are they will have no buisness.
that has been the xperience of most that have tried. the terms sifu, shifu, master, grandmaster have been in use his since bruce lees era in the 70's as can be seen in magazines at that time, and maybe even earlier.

heres a basic look at a few teachers and titles as found on the web in just 2 minutes

http://www.hawkinscheung.com/
http://www.garylamwingchun.com/
http://www.pakmeinyc.net/sifu.html
http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/grandmaster.html
http://www.shenkungfu.com/choylayfut.htm
http://iliqchuan.com/content/master-sam-fs-chin

brazilian teachers
http://www.gracie-scoca.com/
http://store.gracieacademy.com/p-1893-p ... racie.aspx

russian arts
http://www.ussambo.com/what_is_sambo.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_%28martial_art%29

etc etc etc,

cma looks silly on its own in general, titles wont make a difference.

for better or worse- In the world of fighting arts in america , chinese martial arts are not looked at very highly overall except sanshou other than by tho's who themselves practice chinese arts.
Last edited by beegs on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 pm

Fong: He or she has a point - why not let your skills speak for themselves? It worked for people like Taiyim and Tat Mau Wang, both of whom had large successful schools with students who did well in both the performance and practical aspects of CMA.

As for the translation - qinglong baihu is northern slang - he/she got it right (or the translator, Rose Selavy, did).

Beegs is right though -CMA looks silly from the outside to most Westerners - and from the inside as well at times.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm

Culture or not... I guess "Grandmaster Gulong" does sound kind of silly in English :D (Wasn't his son's name Xiaolong or some other word+long? Maybe he wants to match that up?) I think "Grandmaster Li Tailiang" would sound much better personally...

On an aside, I finally think I understand what qinglong baihu means (as slang), with the banter here (and Mr. Fish's generous repeated explanations of the idiom :D ). So, does this phrase count as a chengyu, or what? ;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 am

i think if anyone ask around about the teachers skill or humbleness theirs not much bad to say
for people to say "how" someone else should market their own business. Thats just kinda weird,(beyond silly) why care?

side note-
the name has been in use for over a decade as it is on paperwork i have from ten yrs ago.
Last edited by beegs on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
beegs
Great Old One

Postby kenneth fish on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:50 pm

edededed: It would be koutouyu, not chengyu (because chengyu always has xiehouyu - and implied additional meaning or verse).

I recall that when I was a judge at a tournament in Baltimore, about 20 years ago, some guy (Cantonese: Sum Dum Gai) got up and announced that he was going to perform the QInglong fist from the White Tiger system. Chris Pei, his wife, and the other folks from China nearly injured themselves trying to keep from laughing.
Last edited by kenneth fish on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
Friedrich Nietzsche
kenneth fish
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Ah - thanks... now I will have to go look up the Hanzi for koutouyu and xiehouyu :D

So, did Master Sum continue to perform his qinglong fist amidst the roaring crowds? ;)

Beegs: No insult intended, sorry...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby beegs on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Beegs: No insult intended, sorry...

no prob man, first beer is on me if we ever cross paths!
beegs
Great Old One

Postby nianfong on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:43 pm

左青龍, 右白虎, 前朱雀, 後玄武 are the 四象

qing is not 清=clean, it is 青=green/blue.

why would northern slang choose to deviate from the actual si-xiang? sounds like a mistake, even if the northerners do use it.

-Fong
nianfong
Administrator

Postby nianfong on Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:45 pm

also note, all the animals have colors associated:
green/blue dragon
white tiger
red peacock
black wu3
nianfong
Administrator