DC/MD Xingyi

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

DC/MD Xingyi

Postby taocoyote on Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Grandmaster Su Lizhi is currently teaching Shang style Xingyi in Chevy Chase, MD, just a short drive or Metro ride from DC.

Classes are currently 10am-12pm on Saturdays at Grandmaster Su's home.

The amount of detail he goes into in his classes is extraordinary, and is tailored to each individual. You can expect personal attention from GM Su during the class that is invaluable. Anyone in the area interested in Xingyi, either as a beginner or an experienced Xingyi practicioner can benefit from his teaching. And if anyone is interested in his Xingyi lineage, a Google search will provide, or you can reply to this post or PM me for more details.

On a personal level, I have been a student of GM Su for only a short time, but he has increased my Xingyi knowledge and skill considerably. And as an experienced Xingyi practicioner, upon meeting him, I have been learning more than I could have hoped for. I can only hope that someone reading this takes the opportunity to attend one of the classes and meets GM Su, then you too will know that he is the Real Deal ;D

Again, if you want more details, PM me or respond to this post.

Thanks
"I drank what?!" ~ Socrates
taocoyote
Santi

Re: DC/MD Xingyi

Postby muggs on Sat May 26, 2012 9:06 am

Hi,
I live in Hyattsville. I study at Wudang Longmen and Wu Shen Tao in Takoma Park. Am interested in knowing the resources available in the area. Interested in learning about Master Su and others. Thanks. Beautiful Day!
muggs
Santi

Postby XiaoXiong on Mon May 28, 2012 3:36 pm

I teach Yizong Bagua on Sundays at the tai chi court in Cabin John regional park.
Jess
Truth enlightens the mind, but won't always bring happiness to the heart.
XiaoXiong
Great Old One

Postby jjy5016 on Tue May 29, 2012 9:37 am

I heard that he teaches an extremely challenging san ti posture that's hard to hold for even 10 minutes.

Been wanting to check him out for a while.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby taocoyote on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi folks,

Sorry for the late reply, but I only just got back from a much needed vaca :)

Master Su is in China right now, so the class is on hiatus until he returns. I'm hoping it will be soon, but I don't have an exact date just yet.

A brief bio of Master Su:
Grandmaster Li Zhi Su was born in December 11th, 1948. He started martial arts career when he was six years old, learning Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan under his father. In 1962 he was accepted as second generation inner disciple by Shang style Xing Yi (a branch of Hebei Hsing-I) (尚氏形意) grandmaster Li Wenbin (李文彬one of ten most famous martial arts teacher [中国十大武术名师] in China) and started to learn Xing Yi and Taiji. Grandmaster Li Wenbin is one of the last inner disciples of XingYi Legendary master Shang YunXiang (尚云祥the founder of Shang style Xing Yi)
Su is the vice president of the Institute of Shang Style Xingyiquan, committee member of Wushu Association of Liaoning Province, head of the committee of Traditional Wushu Association of Liaoning Province, the chairperson of Wushu Association of Dandong City. Su Lizhi is holding an 8 duan (dan) in Chinese martial arts of Wushu Association of China.

The Santi is very challenging. It's hard to hold properly for even 5 minutes, let alone 10 ;)

I'll post an update as soon as I know when master Su will be returning. If you have any questions, feel free to post or PM ;)
taocoyote
Santi

Postby nianfong on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:10 pm

oh really? can you share what's so special about the santi?
nianfong
Administrator

Postby jjy5016 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:29 am

nianfong wrote:oh really? can you share what's so special about the santi?

I learned it from a student of sifu Su's so my description might not be doing it justice but...

The way it was shown to me is that the heels are in line and both feet are almost straight ahead.

The torso AND pelvis (spine not twisted) are turned as if one's back is flat against a wall which requires a lot of torque on the hip joints.

The weight is mostly on the back leg and then you sink. Sounds easier than it is. I do Hebei san ti shi for 45 minutes to an hour pretty easy.

This one is hard.
"I kew evibady. I squeegee him - like dis. STAND me?"
I'm always careful to lift the seat when IP
jjy5016
Great Old One

Postby taocoyote on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Master Su will be returning to the States in February and is willing to accept new students at that time. I'll keep you posted on any new updates.

As for Santi, you are mostly right in your description. The heels are in line, but the back foot is at a 45 degree angle. Both knees are pointing forward and the hips turn 90 degrees. The tailbone is over the back heel. The torso turns forward about 45 degrees, the same direction as the front foot and knees are pointing.
taocoyote
Santi

Return to Request a Teacher