Wu Taiji in San Francisco

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Wu Taiji in San Francisco

Postby cdobe on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:09 am

Hello,

I have a student, who will be in SF for two weeks this month. She would like to train some Wu style Taiji while she is there. Do you know any good teachers of this style in SF. I would be happy, if I could provide her with some contact info. Thanks in advance.

@ Tim C. students
No, she is not going to drive all the way to your teacher's school, and no, we are not looking for BJJ schools...
cdobe
Great Old One

Re: Wu Taiji in San Francisco

Postby kreese on Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:38 pm

There is a very famous teacher there...Jane..a Chinese woman...Ken Fish knows her.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:52 am

Thanks a lot Kreese. I think you mean her:
http://www.sifuyao.com/

If I read this correctly, she now teaches in Australia, but it's worth a try.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 am

Hmm - 2 weeks is not long at all - why not just practice what she knows already? (Although it may be fun meeting new teachers, if the teachers are willing.)

Jane Yao moved to Australia? I didn't see anything on the homepage about that...
edededed
Great Old One

Postby cdobe on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:22 am

edededed wrote:Hmm - 2 weeks is not long at all - why not just practice what she knows already? (Although it may be fun meeting new teachers, if the teachers are willing.)

Jane Yao moved to Australia? I didn't see anything on the homepage about that...

Ok, I've misread the interview, she's still based in SF.

Why not? I think it's a good experience to meet other people from the same style and learn about similarities and differences.
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 am

Yes, but just think how much BJJ she could learn in 2 weeks! ;D
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:55 am

cdobe wrote:Ok, I've misread the interview, she's still based in SF.

Why not? I think it's a good experience to meet other people from the same style and learn about similarities and differences.

I agree! I'd love to meet her myself - I'm just not sure that she would be happy to meet me ;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 am

Hong Zhong Nan used to teach in Berekely, but they may have changed.

He used to live in Walnut Creek. You may be able to reach him via Alvin Chew [email protected] aka. taijiren. I think there's a website somewhere.

There are some Hong Kong Wu guys who do competitive push hands in GG park as well as a bunch of others there but I can't really recommend anyone except for Hong Laoshi.

Does your friend do the Shanghai Wu of the Hong Kong? Actually with Master Hong it won't matter since he does both. She'll have to BART over but I think she'll be happy with what she finds. Hong Laoshi and Alvin introduced me to the Shanghi Wu and although I didn't learn the style from them it influenced me to pursue the style once I moved to China.
Last edited by gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby cdobe on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:47 am

gzregorz wrote:Hong Zhong Nan used to teach in Berekely, but they may have changed.

He used to live in Walnut Creek. You may be able to reach him via Alvin Chew [email protected] aka. taijiren. I think there's a website somewhere.

There are some Hong Kong Wu guys who do competitive push hands in GG park as well as a bunch of others there but I can't really recommend anyone except for Hong Laoshi.

Does your friend do the Shanghai Wu of the Hong Kong? Actually with Master Hong it won't matter since he does both. She'll have to BART over but I think she'll be happy with what she finds. Hong Laoshi and Alvin introduced me to the Shanghi Wu and although I didn't learn the style from them it influenced me to pursue the style once I moved to China.

Thank you very much, Greg. I've forwarded the information. What she learned comes from Hongkong, but it's not from the Wu family. I'ld say any good Wu style will do.

best,
CD
cdobe
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Sure thing. Actually when I think about it there's a lot of Wu around here.

Obviously I'm going to recommend the stuff that's closest to my own teacher's. But more than that Hong Laoshi is a good man. The reason I didn't train with him was because I already knew a different Wu style and he said there was no point in learning two, he said I should just focus on what I already know. (Later of course I made the decision myself to make the change because I had access to Shen Laoshi.) In fact even when asked why his push hands is so good he'll probably tell you it's because he used to practice for hours and hours a day. It's rare to find taiji teachers so down to Earth who don't shroud their stuff in mysticism.

In fact even in Shanghai Hong Laoshi is still well known for his Wu style. I have a picture where all of Ma and Wu's disciples are at a table together and then the disciples of the disciples are there and sure enough you can see Hong and Shen there.

I've also heard of someone in the South Bay/Peninsula who is famous for his Wu but I haven't met them.

GrahamB wrote:Yes, but just think how much BJJ she could learn in 2 weeks! ;D

Nice one.
Last edited by gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy." - Friedrich Nietzsche
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

gzregorz wrote:There are some Hong Kong Wu guys who do competitive push hands in GG park as well as a bunch of others there

The GG Park scene near the Cal Academy of Sciences is actually a great scene, not necessarily for jumping in and training, but at least for the great feel of the area being in the midst of so many people doing taiji (or some music-ified variant of it) in the morning.

There's also Spreckles Lake as well for more folks doing taiji and other stuff.

Actually the folks pushing hands in the Park are all different styles rather than just HK Wu (though there are a few from that school.

Best times to show up are early on weekend mornings.

-p
fuga
Great Old One

Postby gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:19 pm

fuga wrote:
gzregorz wrote:There are some Hong Kong Wu guys who do competitive push hands in GG park as well as a bunch of others there

The GG Park scene near the Cal Academy of Sciences is actually a great scene, not necessarily for jumping in and training, but at least for the great feel of the area being in the midst of so many people doing taiji (or some music-ified variant of it) in the morning.

There's also Spreckles Lake as well for more folks doing taiji and other stuff.

Actually the folks pushing hands in the Park are all different styles rather than just HK Wu (though there are a few from that school.

Best times to show up are early on weekend mornings.

-p

True, I just cannot recommend anyone from there with the depth of knowledge of the style as Hong Laoshi.
Last edited by gzregorz on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gzregorz
Wuji

Postby fuga on Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

I also found that most of the better taiji folks in GGP don't open up to strangers unless there is an introduction.

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Eric_H on Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello,

If she is going to be in the area it might be worth it to give my Sifu, Garrett Gee a call. Though he primarily is known for teaching Wing Chun these days, he knows a few tai chi styles including Wu and teaches them privately.

He can be reached through the phone#/email on his website: http://www.hungfakwoon.com/

Best,
~Eric
http://www.hungfakwoon.com/ - Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Global HQ.
Eric_H
Anjing

Postby cdobe on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:19 am

Many thanks for the info about the parks and Mr. Gee. I've forwarded it.
cdobe
Great Old One

Return to Request a Teacher