Seattle, WA

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Seattle, WA

Postby wetmarble on Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi All,

I've just moved to Seattle and am looking for a group to train with. I've done 2 years of Gao Yisheng style Bagua and 3 years of Liang Zhen Pu style Bagua (Li Ziming, Guo Gumin, Beijing Gao Family style).

I'm somewhat open in what I'm looking for. If possible, I'd like to continue with the Liang Zhen Pu bagua, if not, I'm leaning towards Xing Yi or perhaps something completely different such as Judo (to learn falling in a non-cooperative way), Aikido (to learn falling in a cooperative way) or Escrima (to learn timing and distance in a sparring scenario).

Any information on teachers in the area would be appreciated. The most important thing would be to find a good teacher.

Thanks in advance,
Adam
wetmarble
Anjing

Re: Seattle, WA

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:08 pm

According to the NATSTA homepage (http://www.natsta.org/), there is a guy name Matt Stern teaching in Seattle - not sure if you learned from NATSTA or not, but it might be interesting to check him out (should be Liang style and/or Gao style baguazhang, or maybe xingyiquan).

Seattle also has, Zhang Jie (Cheng style) and Yang Jun (Yang style taijiquan), if that interests you.

Ed
edededed
Great Old One

Postby JAB on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 am

Not sure if Matt is still around. I think he moved.
Most Bagua here is from Zhang Jie. Not that anything is wrong with that, but there is little variation. Andy Dale is to be checked out, but they do little app work, mostly form. Same with Zhang Jie, same with Harrison Moretz.
I offer group classes in combatives (not stylistic based), and offer specific forms work, style work, weapons work via private lessons. You are always welcome.
If you are looking for Judo there are several top schools (oldest Judo Dojo in the US is here!). BJJ; I train with the best at NW JJ Academy www.nwjja.com Brian is a phenomenal teacher, and one of the best grapplers out there (just took silver at the world No Gi BB lightweight division, and won the light weight no gi BB at Grapplers Quest in Dec).

Lots of options, just depends on what you are looking for. Welcome to the PAC NW!
Jake
www.threeharmonies.com
JAB

Postby Jake on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:28 am

Hey guys...

Looks more and more like I'll be moving to Seattle in 2-3 months.

(Thanks for emailing with me Jake... Really looking forward to meeting and training with you)

Adam... I'm into BGZ and Hsing I.... I'm also really into Chin Na as well. (I love chin na)

I'm available to work out anytime I'm not working. Currently me and a friend who's a long time Hsing I guy, practice in a park 5 mornings a week at 5 am.

I guess what I'm saying is is that I'll be on the look out for workout partners, groups, etc as well. :)

Hope to meet you guys soon!!!

Cheers,

Jake.
errrrr.............
Jake
Huajing

Postby JAB on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:26 am

No worries bro. Hope I can help.
Cheers
Jake
JAB

Postby zenshiite on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:23 am

I'd like to check out Zhang Jie, if for no other reason than that he's my Sifu's kung fu uncle and I know they have recently gotten into contact about some information exchange.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Really? Cool - there are other people teaching so-called "nine palace" Cheng style in the US?
edededed
Great Old One

Postby zenshiite on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Yeah, there are other people.
"The powers that be don't give a shit!" - Raybeez RIP
zenshiite
Wuji

Postby Kurt Robbins on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Brian Johnson is a great teacher and an amazing grappler - His school is laid back and with great practitioners who honestly want to help you succeed. Brian has zero ego and great prices (especially his private lessons).
I miss those guys.
Kurt Robbins
Huajing

Postby Orpheus on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I studied Xingyi with Wu Na Zhang. His site can be found here.
http://wudangdanpai.com/xingyiquan.html

The classes have a heavy conditioning component. The remaining two thirds of the class are one part form and one part application. Pretty solid stuff. They also had a sparring class that you could work into once you were there. My only complaint is that the way they wanted santi held, my knees were bothering me (this is why I stopped attending). It may have been a link in my understanding, but they pressed for a heavy rotation in the waist that eventually was born in my knees.

I am beginning to study Classical Judo with Aaron Fields in the U-district. Half of the class is stand up grappling techniques and the second half is groundwork with techniques from Jujutsu and Sambo. Good group with a extremely good work ethic. This is run as a non-profit, so the value is quite good at $55.00 a month.
Orpheus
Anjing

Postby JAB on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Where you been brother? Just thinking of you today!
Hope all is well.
Jake
JAB

Postby xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:19 am

I'd recommend Frank Wong.

He is a disciple of Li Tai-Liang

You can find his website here : http://www.geocities.com/fwong111/seattle.html

I might, add though he does know some Bagua, the focus of his class is Xingyiquan.
Last edited by xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:41 pm

I'd recommend Aaron Fields for Sambo as well
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:50 pm

I'd recommend Dave Harris
His style is a blend of various martial arts including wing chun , tai chi , and jiu jitsu
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby xingyiguy on Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:46 am

Sorry to hear about Dave
I haven't lived in Seattle for a few years now
Last time I saw Dave was in early 90's
Hopefully Dave's students are continuing their training
I remember it being a pretty good group of guys
xingyiguy
Santi

Next