Xingyiquan in Tianjin (天津)

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Xingyiquan in Tianjin (天津)

Postby swelte on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:58 pm

I will move to Tianjin, China for work reasons in August. I was wondering if anyone here could recommend me a good Xingyi-teacher in the area? My present level is low, and I am very much not a talented athlete, so for me one of those "let's just work on your pi quan for three years" kind of traditionalist teacher might not be a terrible idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
swelte
Santi

Re: Xingyiquan in Tianjin (天津)

Postby jonathan.bluestein on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi there!

My grand-teacer, master Zhou Jingxuan, teaches Xing Yi Quan in Tianjin. He's extremely talented and experienced, and have taught many foreigners. My teacher is his most veteran student, and have studied Xing Yi Quan and Jingang Bashi with him for 7 years straight while he lived in China. I've also come to personally know master Zhou, as we brought him over to Israel for a month 2 years ago, and he lived in my house for a week. Very nice guy, I really like him personally. Easy to get along with... Even tried to wash the dishes for me as a sign of thankfulness for my hosting ^_^

There's a whole lot of info on master Zhou available online. First, there's our packed youtube channel:
http://youtube.com/jingang

Second, there's our official website, through which you can contact us and arrange for learning with Zhou:
http://swz.weebly.com/

I'll be in Tianjin in September-October for 40 days straight, so if you'll still be there by then we can train together :-)

Master Zhou's fee is not high compared to other distinguished masters. He's also very willing to go with the student's wishes. Usually Zhou is very keen to teach as much material as one can handle. Still, If you're serious and will insist on learning in a traditional manner (like my teacher did), this is the way you shall be taught. While there wouldn't be 3 whole years of Pi Quan, you'll still be doing lots of basics for a lonnnnng time ;) :P If you ask me, it's for the better.

You can contact me anytime at: [email protected]
Last edited by jonathan.bluestein on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonathan.bluestein
Wuji

Postby nicklinjm on Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Tianjin is one of the traditional centres of xingyiquan in China, and to this day there are a lot of xingyi people there. However, they're not that easy to find, none of them speak English and a lot of them live a long way from the city centre.

I would second Jonathan's recommendation to check out his teacher, his xingyi is a very interesting mix of Hebei + Song xyq with strong reinfluence from Lu's structure and Yiquan. Other people I think are still teaching xyq publicly in Tianjin are:

Zhang Shuangquan (张双全) in Jianshan Park (尖山公园)
Zang Zhigang (藏志刚)in Chang Hong Park (长虹公园)
Du Yunsheng (杜云生) in Hong Guang Park (红光公园) - he teaches Han Muxia's xyq + bgz, which he learned from his father.

Most of the xyq in Tianjin is somehow or other from Li Cunyi's line, but there are also Sun, Song and Che style people around, PM me if you want more info.
nicklinjm
Wuji

Postby swelte on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Jonathan, nicklinjm: Many thanks for the information!
swelte
Santi

Return to Request a Teacher