Taoyuan city MA

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Taoyuan city MA

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:48 pm

Hey all, will be relocating from Taipei to Taoyuan soon, and though I'll still be coming to Taipei to train ( a lot) I was interested to see what gongfu is to be had in Taoyuan city/ zhongli area. I know there is some baji there, not sure about the specifics, but I'll probably check it out. Anything anybody else knows about( except for taiji)? Thanks all, and happy Dragonboat Festival! Well, almost at least!

Logan
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Re: Taoyuan city MA

Postby kreese on Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:28 am

Let us know what you find. If you want to blog about it, I can host a blog for you.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 am

Thanks man, that sounds cool. I'm going to have to just wander around looking for schools/ people practicing on parks when I get there. I have a feeling that the stuff in a town like zhongli probably won't be very mainstream. I'll keep you posted, and still looking for leads all. Thanks and happy holidays!
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Postby Simonintaiwan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi,

Contact username "Simon" on this forum as I believe he lives in Taoyuan and will be able to point you in the right direction.

I am in Taichung County myself else I could show you some FMA. Hopefully my namesake can help!

Simon.
Simonintaiwan
Santi

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks man, I asked him what he knows of and he was very helpful. Still searching though. I'll hit you up for sure if I ever head out that way man. You do CMC taiji right? Maybe we could push around a bit one of these days. Peace!
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Postby Simonintaiwan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:14 am

You'd be most welcome. I fear my Tui Shou would surely disappoint you as I have only been studying for 10 months so far and am concentrating on the form at the moment.

If you're in the area, my club has push hands every Friday and there's a few instructors so I think the level is pretty good...like I say, right now I'm struggling to keep my feet shoulder width apart and remember to keep that damn axe under my arm so what do I know? hehheheh
Simonintaiwan
Santi

Postby kreese on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:16 am

FirmlyRootedFist wrote:Thanks man, that sounds cool. I'm going to have to just wander around looking for schools/ people practicing on parks when I get there. I have a feeling that the stuff in a town like zhongli probably won't be very mainstream. I'll keep you posted, and still looking for leads all. Thanks and happy holidays!

Also I'm sure you know there is a whole other world that wakes up at 4am and hits the parks.

If you have a camera, you should document your wanderings, I'd find the journey interesting.
"Ignore the comments, people will bitch about anything." - Ian
kreese
Great Old One

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:42 am

That would certainly be an interesting project, I'll have to see what I can find.
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Postby fuga on Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Simonintaiwan wrote:Hi,

Contact username "Simon" on this forum as I believe he lives in Taoyuan and will be able to point you in the right direction.

I am in Taichung County myself else I could show you some FMA. Hopefully my namesake can help!

Simon.

I make it out to Taichung every other year or so, and I'll let you know next time I am out that way. Always good to meet other folks on the forum (especially when visiting in-laws!)

-pete
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Simonintaiwan on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Hi Pete,

Be sure to drop me a line!

Plan on being here for the next few years...
Simonintaiwan
Santi

Postby fuga on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:35 am

Will do!
fuga
Great Old One

Postby Miro on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 am

There is an excellent teacher of Hong jia (Hunggar) style in Taoyuan whose surname is Li Fengmao (I am not aboslutely sure about his first name but I hope I remember it right), I guess he is close to 70 or around 70 now (I visited him several times some 15 years ago)... He was awesome fighter with vast knowledge of history and everything about CMA, absolutely stunning... However, he used to keep very low profile, he taught for free and only selected students ("friends" as he used to say). Maybe people at Lion Bookstore can tell you how to contact him (or his correct name if I remember it incorrectly). His son (and several other students of his) studied martial arts at Chinese Culture University and almost all of them won several sanda (Zhongzheng bei) tournaments...

Miro
We have entered a voyeuristic, or "phanic," era where esoteric ideas and methods are only unveiled and put within reach of everyone because they no longer have any chance of being understood. (Mircea Eliade)
Miro
Great Old One

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:00 pm

Thanks for the lead Miro, I'll look into it when I have a chance!
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Postby FirmlyRootedFist on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14 pm

So I finally got around to contacting the people at Lion Books, I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks again for the lead Miro.
FirmlyRootedFist
Huajing

Return to Request a Teacher