Orange County, CA?

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

Orange County, CA?

Postby Vulcan300 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Hey, all. I've just moved back here to Orange County and I've got some time on my hands, so I've been looking for a place to learn some martial arts. I've never done any sort of kung fu/traditional Chinese martial arts before, and I was curious to try it out. I checked out the directory, but the only thing I could find was Tim Cartmell's Shen Wu; unfortunately, I can't really afford the private instruction and I'd feel a little more comfortable in a group setting anyway, I think. So... anyone know of a place with some quality instruction?

I've done a few years of Tae Kwon Do and Kyokushin Karate in the (distant) past, and I also recently started doing judo. I kind of wanted a change of pace with an internal martial art. I'm most interested in Bagua, but beggars and choosers and all that. XD I'll pretty much try anything.

Thanks in advance.
Vulcan300
Santi

Shenwu

Postby baguamen22 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm

You can still go to his classes right? Why not those then? All of the standup (wrestling/striking) is mostly from the IMA anyways. In terms of privates, I know from experience that Tim tends to be pretty with prices, just make sure you talk to him about it.
Last edited by baguamen22 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baguamen22
Santi

Re: Orange County, CA?

Postby JAB on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:43 pm

Go to Tim's group classes and you will learn more IMA in 6 months, then with someone else for over a year!
Jake
JAB

Postby xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:59 am

Forrest Chang teaches Xingyi in Mission Viejo

Sudan Jeffers teaches Xingyi in Downtown Los Angeles

Both are disciples of Li Tai-Liang.
Last edited by xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby xingyiguy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:08 am

Danny Regan is teaching in Anaheim, CA.
He is a disciple of Li Tai-Liang.
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby strawdog on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:12 pm

Danny Regan is teaching in Anaheim, CA.

Since when? When did Beegs move back to Cali?
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby xingyiguy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Danny Regan is in Ventura County, CA now.

Since August.

He's going to start teaching soon.

You can look him up at http://www.regansmartialarts.com/
xingyiguy
Santi

Postby strawdog on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:42 pm

The best thing for you to do is just train at Shenwu.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby shawnsegler on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Tim is pretty amazing it's true.

S
I prefer
You behind the wheel
And me the passenger
shawnsegler
Great Old One

Postby Shane on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:40 pm

If you're in Orange County you'd be really happy after checking out Tim Cartmell's ability to explain and simplify the most complex concepts. There's no bullsh*t and no 'call me master' junk. If you're into the 'call me Shir-Fu' stuff, you might be disappointed. Its just great group of people learning the real deal and getting profficient real fast. (and yes, much of what he teaches in every class is how to apply techniques from the internal arts).

If you haven't already, drop by from 3-6 on any Saturday and just hang out.

Best of luck.
Shane
Last edited by Shane on Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Santi

Postby kshurika on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 pm

I studied with Forrest Chang for a very short time (just a few sessions), but not Xing Yi. Very nice guy, extremely smart and the short demos of Xing Yi I saw were impressive to say the least. He'd be a good choice.

I'm in my second year of studying Xing Yi with Tim. No disparagement of Forrest (because I never studied XY with him), but I vote for Tim. The way in which he presents the material, teaches the applications, makes sure you get everything..... and then goes over it again, and again, and again, until it becomes part of you - that's the way to learn something deeply IMO. He doesn't hold anything back; he's not on a Shr Fu trip and he rarely uses the word "chi".

p.s. All this advice you're getting here about Tim is the same advice I got on this same forum after asking the same question about two years ago. If you're serious about Xing Yi, you won't go wrong with Tim.
Last edited by kshurika on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kshurika
Wuji

Postby Shane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:19 pm

Vulcan300, you mentioned being interested in Bagua Zhang and rumor has it that the group Bagua Zhang classes at Shen Wu (Tim Cartmell's school) will be starting up again probably on Saturday mornings in the near future. Bagua Zhang is my favorite too.

You also mentioned not being in a position to afford private lessons, Tim has 'open mat' every Saturday from 3pm-6pm, when students and friends get together to practice any and everything. If you come by and introduce yourself, you could probably hop in and workout. The open mat sessions vary widely, some guys just working on their ground game (BJJ) other guys might have gloves and gear and spar hard, some just doing randori with each other. There's much to be seen and much to be learned (and occasionally scrumptious chicks are in the mix too). If you wanted to see Bagua, Tim or any of his long time Bagua guys (myself included) would be happy to show you whatever you ask.

Shane
Last edited by Shane on Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shane
Santi

Postby strawdog on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 am

his long time Bagua guys (myself included) would be happy to show you whatever you ask.

Speak for yourself Shane. ;D Show a complete stranger whatever he ask, really? You're way too generous.

IMO, people need to go book Tim for private lessons (be an actual Shen Wu student) and attend regular Shen Wu class to get to ask whatever he wants during open mat.
Last edited by strawdog on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
strawdog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Scrumptious chicks sound nice.

Unfortunately, in general one has to be able to afford something in order to learn it... (I cut down on food, myself.) :)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Shane on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm

True, Strawdog, and thanks for prompting a clarification. I didn't mean I/we/Tim would show 'everything' asked by a stranger during open mat; but that a stranger could come in, generally get a feel for whats going on and ask questions. It's been my experience that if someone drops by and asks to see an example of a double-palm change being applied, or how Lady Works the Shuttles works, or how pushhands develops etc, those types of questions are usually answered or demonstrated.

Shane
Last edited by Shane on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shane
Santi

Next

Return to Request a Teacher