TCM in Sacramento area California

Request a teacher near you. Any school opening notices are also posted here.

TCM in Sacramento area California

Postby daniel pfister on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:46 pm

I'll be moving to the Sacramento area (probably Davis) in a few months time. Is there anyone out there interested in teaching TMA or already teaching in the area? I will start teaching more actively after I move there, but would like to partner up with someone. I open to ideas about how to promote the art in the area.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Re: TCM in Sacramento area California

Postby greytowhite on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am

Sacramento is a rather dead spot for internal martial arts. Although if you're willing to make the drive down to Stockton you can get hold of the Angel Cabales escrima guys rather easily.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby RelaxMore on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 am

Check out these guys

http://sima.ki-studios.com/
RelaxMore
Santi

Postby greytowhite on Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:47 am

RelaxMore wrote:Check out these guys

http://sima.ki-studios.com/

That's a fairly new site, I wasn't aware of those guys. There are also some Guang Ping Yang taiji guys. Many were students of Henry Look but most of the guys still in Sacramento have applied themselves more to JMA than exploring "teh internalz." The YeYoung guy is not well thought of in the area as he purposely limits his students' progress for monetary gain. There are is a Systema group in Natomas if I recall correctly and a decent amount of Japanese artists.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby ashe on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:23 pm

there is a single ILC guy in Sacremento who might be interested in meeting up to play.
discipline, concentration & wisdom
----------------------------------------
http://fallingleaveskungfu.com/
Facebook
Instagram
ashe
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 pm

If you are willing to drive to the Redding area, I know a good Hsing-I instructor there.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm

Plenty of IMA in the Sacramento area.

There are also two of Peter Ralston's students teaching in Davis. Several other taichi teachers with lots of experience (including a student of Ben Lo). There is also a pakua, hsing i, and taichi teacher at the experimental college where the famous shaolin longfist teacher, Lai Hung teaches.

There is also a Guang Ping guy here, and some other new teachers I have seen leading small groups of students in various parks.

A search of "davis taichi" will lead you to the davis wiki with links from there. If you can, I recommend finding James Kapp. He teaches at Westwood park. Bagua and Hsing I.

I'm here too, but pretty busy these days.

Hope that helps, Ian C
文武両道。

Lord Li requires one hundred gold coins per day!
Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby RelaxMore on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:04 pm

Ian Cipperly wrote:Plenty of IMA in the Sacramento area.

There are also two of Peter Ralston's students teaching in Davis. Several other taichi teachers with lots of experience (including a student of Ben Lo). There is also a pakua, hsing i, and taichi teacher at the experimental college where the famous shaolin longfist teacher, Lai Hung teaches.

Hope that helps, Ian C

Would be interested in "student of Ben Lo" - can PM me if you don't want to give out a name
RelaxMore
Santi

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:04 am

I can't remember his last name, and only saw him in action once. Never felt him. His name is Brad, and used to teach classes at the Davis Judo Kai, when it was on Olive drive. I have a couple friends who were students of his. I heard nothing but the best about him.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby daniel pfister on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Ian Cipperly wrote:Plenty of IMA in the Sacramento area.

I've contacted the experimental college, and to my knowledge the only person currently teaching Taiji, Xingyi, and Bagua there will be me. I didn't know Lai Hung was so famous though, so I'll have to check out those classes.

There is also a Guang Ping guy here, and some other new teachers I have seen leading small groups of students in various parks.

A search of "davis taichi" will lead you to the davis wiki with links from there. If you can, I recommend finding James Kapp. He teaches at Westwood park. Bagua and Hsing I.

Do you happen to know about what time this James Kapp teaches in Westwood Park?

There is also Tai Chi meetup group in Davis which I've joined. They have push hands practice on Sundays in Central Park. When I'm in town, I'll go check it out.

Thanks a bunch! I'll PM you.
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby Ian C. Kuzushi on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:32 pm

Looks like you are right. I have no idea what happened to the two ima guys they had teaching there. I had attended a lecture years ago and they were both very active then. The bagua classes used to be at 6am, but they are gone now...too bad.
文武両道。

Ian C. Kuzushi
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Robert Nakashima is in Carmichael, I understand he's a Guang Ping Yang fellow who brings in Ted Mancuso for seminars occasionally.

There is also Carmine Farruggia who teaches Chen style taiji as well as a background in meihuazhang and bagua.
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby daniel pfister on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:39 pm

greytowhite wrote:Robert Nakashima is in Carmichael, I understand he's a Guang Ping Yang fellow who brings in Ted Mancuso for seminars occasionally.

There is also Carmine Farruggia who teaches Chen style taiji as well as a background in meihuazhang and bagua.

Ted Mancuso appears to do the same 8 animals set of Bagua I do, so I suppose Robert would do it as well.

Carmine sounds interesting. Is he still actively teaching?
daniel pfister
Wuji

Postby greytowhite on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:04 pm

A local fellow who practices Yang taiji in midtown mentioned Carmine to me as a possible instructor as my background is Chen but I did not contact him personally.

http://www.qigonginstitute.org/listing/ ... d4dcf3f5e0
Practice Makes Progress
greytowhite
Wuji

Next

Return to Request a Teacher